2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
Really?

Urlacher is a lock at this point, IMO, and Peppers is getting darn close.

I'd say that "Should" be the case, but this is the NFL hall of fame we're talking about, and that 6-7 person limit is really stringent. Those 2 might darn well wind up in that realm of "Guys who should be in the hall of fame but just can't top the list"

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
I'd say that "Should" be the case, but this is the NFL hall of fame we're talking about, and that 6-7 person limit is really stringent. Those 2 might darn well wind up in that realm of "Guys who should be in the hall of fame but just can't top the list"

I think Urlacher will be helped out by the tradition he is coming from and the team he played on. If he played his entire career for the Falcons or something, you may be right, but he hasn't.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 09:23 AM)
Knox would be a reasonable fit in that 3rd WR spot if the Bears had 2 WR's ahead of him, where he could stretch the field and face single coverage regularly. He's at least an asset, if put in the right role then he's effective on the field, so losing him does hurt.

He doesn't like contact, run horrible routes, and you want him in the slot? Sorry, but he is just a short fast guy who hasn't really done much in his career to warrant me caring if he is on the team next season.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
He doesn't like contact, run horrible routes, and you want him in the slot? Sorry, but he is just a short fast guy who hasn't really done much in his career to warrant me caring if he is on the team next season.

I don't know that I'd necessarily translate "3rd WR" to "Slot Receiver" any more. My meaning is more like "3rd option". If you put say, Jackson and Bennett on the other side of the field, with Forte in the backfield, the safeties have to either bite on the run or bite on the other 2 WR's, leaving Knox effectively single-covered.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
I don't know that I'd necessarily translate "3rd WR" to "Slot Receiver" any more. My meaning is more like "3rd option". If you put say, Jackson and Bennett on the other side of the field, with Forte in the backfield, the safeties have to either bite on the run or bite on the other 2 WR's, leaving Knox effectively single-covered.

Yeah, in this one small instance in this one play you are drawing up, sure. Let the guy run fast down the field to catch the ball. Other than that, he is worthless.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
Yeah, in this one small instance in this one play you are drawing up, sure. Let the guy run fast down the field to catch the ball. Other than that, he is worthless.

Someone that got over 700 yards and 900 yards the last 2 seasons is far from worthless..... Knox has many flaws but he would be fine as a 3rd WR, Bennett would be in the slot when they'd have 3 receivers on the field.

This is one instance where I would look at his amount of yards and ask you "have you seen him play?" Im not a big fan of the eye test, but i have never wanted a WR so far away from this team as I have wanted Knox. Im not going to argue with people who think he is a fine 3rd option. To me he is a microcosm of what has been wrong with Bears WRs in the past......well, forever. Small, questionable hands, horrible routerunner, cannot block, but he is fast so people think he is worth something. I will pass.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
This is one instance where I would look at his amount of yards and ask you "have you seen him play?" Im not a big fan of the eye test, but i have never wanted a WR so far away from this team as I have wanted Knox. Im not going to argue with people who think he is a fine 3rd option. To me he is a microcosm of what has been wrong with Bears WRs in the past......well, forever. Small, questionable hands, horrible routerunner, cannot block, but he is fast so people think he is worth something. I will pass.

I agree with this entire statement. Knox sucks and also helped to ruin our season.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)

Well said. The only Bears receiver I would care to keep would be Bennett. He seems like a solid 3rd down receiver, and the connection with Jay is a major plus.

Im fine with Knox as a 6th WR/ returner. But when you have Hester, it kind of makes Knox redundant.

Its going to be a lot different next year no matter what, I assume that Tice isnt going to run a million different packages with different receivers seemingly on the bench or playing for no explainable reason.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
Someone that got over 700 yards and 900 yards the last 2 seasons is far from worthless..... Knox has many flaws but he would be fine as a 3rd WR, Bennett would be in the slot when they'd have 3 receivers on the field.

Knox averaged 18.8 and 19.6 yards per reception under Martz... which looks great but it's because he really is incapable of running routes shorter than about 12 yards. He runs the vertical routes and that's about it. If he has to break then he'll either round it off or he'll slip and fall (Cutler blamed of course for being interception-prone)

I wouldn't say he's worthless but he's not that big of a loss if he can't play next year either.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
Knox averaged 18.8 and 19.6 yards per reception under Martz... which looks great but it's because he really is incapable of running routes shorter than about 12 yards. He runs the vertical routes and that's about it. If he has to break then he'll either round it off or he'll slip and fall (Cutler blamed of course for being interception-prone)

I wouldn't say he's worthless but he's not that big of a loss if he can't play next year either.

I'm not saying he is all pro or anything like that but he definitely has value to a team. Definitely has his flaws but he is a much better WR than Hester and anything that keeps Hester away from WR is a bonus in itself..... Ideally we would bring in a F/A WR and draft one but hard to predict with a new GM.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 07:24 PM)
I'm not saying he is all pro or anything like that but he definitely has value to a team. Definitely has his flaws but he is a much better WR than Hester and anything that keeps Hester away from WR is a bonus in itself..... Ideally we would bring in a F/A WR and draft one but hard to predict with a new GM.

IMO, there is no sense in which the Bears not bringing in a free agent WR is not a gigantic failure.

And that doesn't include Roy Williams either.

The Bears WR corps right now, that they can count on next year on opening day is:

1. Earl Bennett

2. Devin Hester

3. Dane Sanzenbacher.

Roy Williams is a FA, Sam Hurd has other issues, and Knox might never play football again. Say what you want about the O-Line, the Bears need 3+ warm bodies for WR, and there's no way around it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
IMO, there is no sense in which the Bears not bringing in a free agent WR is not a gigantic failure.

And that doesn't include Roy Williams either.

The Bears WR corps right now, that they can count on next year on opening day is:

1. Earl Bennett

2. Devin Hester

3. Dane Sanzenbacher.

Roy Williams is a FA, Sam Hurd has other issues, and Knox might never play football again. Say what you want about the O-Line, the Bears need 3+ warm bodies for WR, and there's no way around it.

Lol I don't even know why you brought up Hurd. Besides the fact that he was immediately cut, that guy is probably going to be in a small cell for a long period of time.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 08:46 PM)
Lol I don't even know why you brought up Hurd. Besides the fact that he was immediately cut, that guy is probably going to be in a small cell for a long period of time.

At this point it's genuine amusement. The guy who would otherwise be the #3 wr on their roster was one of Chicagos biggest drug dealers.

The Bears could spend their top 3 picks on wr this draft and genuinely still wonder if their wr corps is undermanned.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 08:24 PM)
At this point it's genuine amusement. The guy who would otherwise be the #3 wr on their roster was one of Chicagos biggest drug dealers.

The Bears could spend their top 3 picks on wr this draft and genuinely still wonder if their wr corps is undermanned.

Clean house, get Cutler some weapons. That's what we wanted, that is what we are getting. Hopefully a bookend tight end to compliment Kellen Davis as well.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 09:39 PM)
Clean house, get Cutler some weapons. That's what we wanted, that is what we are getting. Hopefully a bookend tight end to compliment Kellen Davis as well.

Kellen Davis, btw, is also a free agent. Spaeth is the only TE the Bears have under contract.

This is why I say I could live with the Bears only finding a backup ot this offseason but totally overhauling the wr corps. Obviously more would be nice, but they don't even have humans to catch passes next year.