2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 08:42 AM)

Then Williams continued that theme in reference to Crabtree, the 10th overall pick of the 2009 NFL draft: “We need to decide whether Crabtree wants to be a fake-ass prima donna or he wants to be a tough guy. We need to find that out, and he becomes human when you [expletive] take out that outside ACL.” :o

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 08:50 AM)
Then Williams continued that theme in reference to Crabtree, the 10th overall pick of the 2009 NFL draft: “We need to decide whether Crabtree wants to be a fake-ass prima donna or he wants to be a tough guy. We need to find that out, and he becomes human when you [expletive] take out that outside ACL.” :o

Have a nice life, Gregg Williams.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
Williams said all this in front of a guy filming a documentary. wow

I'm sure nearly everything in the NFL is filmed these days...and I am sure NFL Films has deleted or edited tapes of dialogue just as bad or worse than this before.

This is bad for the NFL, insomuch as I am sure a LOT of locker speeches sound like this. And honestly, what goes on in those locker rooms should stay in those locker rooms. They're just battle speeches, right? He's just trying to light a fire underneath his guys, right? It's over-the-top, inflammatory language designed to inspire confidence and rage.

But it's bad in light of the scandal, obviously.

But absent the scandal, would this be a big deal? Without any other proof, would the NFL take any action against the Saints or Gregg Williams?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
I'm sure nearly everything in the NFL is filmed these days...and I am sure NFL Films has deleted or edited tapes of dialogue just as bad or worse than this before.

This is bad for the NFL, insomuch as I am sure a LOT of locker speeches sound like this. And honestly, what goes on in those locker rooms should stay in those locker rooms. They're just battle speeches, right? He's just trying to light a fire underneath his guys, right? It's over-the-top, inflammatory language designed to inspire confidence and rage.

But it's bad in light of the scandal, obviously.

But absent the scandal, would this be a big deal? Without any other proof, would the NFL take any action against the Saints or Gregg Williams?

This speech was at the team hotel the night before, not in the lockerroom. Plus, the Saints had already been told to stop their bounty program a few years prior, so it wasnt like Gregg Williams didnt know that the NFL already was on to him. Saying it in front of a guy who was videotaping/recording it was just sheer ego and stupidity, IMO.

And yeah, Im sure there are a lot of speeches that are inflammatory and designed to inspire rage, but looking at what happened here, Williams just thumbed his nose at it all and did it anyways.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
This speech was at the team hotel the night before, not in the lockerroom. Plus, the Saints had already been told to stop their bounty program a few years prior, so it wasnt like Gregg Williams didnt know that the NFL already was on to him. Saying it in front of a guy who was videotaping/recording it was just sheer ego and stupidity, IMO.

And yeah, Im sure there are a lot of speeches that are inflammatory and designed to inspire rage, but looking at what happened here, Williams just thumbed his nose at it all and did it anyways.

I am sure you're right...the only effort he made was to use the $ symbol with his hand rather than saying it aloud...

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
It's kind of funny it was the 49ers who knocked the shi& out of the Saints players in that playoff game.

Im sure Williams knew that was coming, and tried to take the "punch them in the mouth before they punch you" approach, with some money as motivation

Can someone explain to me why the hell fans care if these guys are trying to kill each other? I certainly don't. These assholes are getting paid bazillions of dollars (plus a pension) to play a violent game. Am I supposed to feel sorry for them? I don't get the faux outrage and I especially don't get the faux reaction from the NFL. If I were Goodell I'd be like, "look, it's a violent game, i'm not going to belittle our fans who basically could care less if these guys are injured (unless it screws up their chances at a championship, but even then it's not like we're upset that someone got seriously injured...that s*** happens every week). So, yeah it was a little unprofessional, and maybe Williams took it a LITTLE too far. But the death penalty? No, not even close."

Simmons has this article where he's pleading for someone to draw the "line" to let him know what should be acceptable and what should not be acceptable. I say don't have a line. No holds bar (within the rules obviously). I have the same opinion about the sudden seriousness of concussions. You get what you pay for. These guys aren't dumb. They know it's a violent sport and it comes with risks. Hell, the first day of football for any kid in this country is a video about becoming paralyzed.

I don't want to see players intentionally trying to injure each other, no. The long-term risks of concussions certainly were not well-known in previous decades and they really aren't pretty. It is, after all, just a game, and I do not want to see others intentionally debilitated, possibly for life, for my entertainment.

It's also important to note that the NFL owners are also assholes making bazillions of dollars but do not face the serious physical risks that the players do. The NFLPA is fighting for long-term care of the players who suffer life-long injuries while making the owners very wealthy.

edit: keep in mind too that the risk-assessment part of your brain literally is not fully formed until your mid-20's.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 04:54 PM)
Can someone explain to me why the hell fans care if these guys are trying to kill each other? I certainly don't. These assholes are getting paid bazillions of dollars (plus a pension) to play a violent game. Am I supposed to feel sorry for them? I don't get the faux outrage and I especially don't get the faux reaction from the NFL. If I were Goodell I'd be like, "look, it's a violent game, i'm not going to belittle our fans who basically could care less if these guys are injured (unless it screws up their chances at a championship, but even then it's not like we're upset that someone got seriously injured...that s*** happens every week). So, yeah it was a little unprofessional, and maybe Williams took it a LITTLE too far. But the death penalty? No, not even close."

Simmons has this article where he's pleading for someone to draw the "line" to let him know what should be acceptable and what should not be acceptable. I say don't have a line. No holds bar (within the rules obviously). I have the same opinion about the sudden seriousness of concussions. You get what you pay for. These guys aren't dumb. They know it's a violent sport and it comes with risks. Hell, the first day of football for any kid in this country is a video about becoming paralyzed.

The line is the intent to injure, remove from the game. The NFL wants hard hits, violence is part of the game. What Gregg Williams wants and is asking for are blown out ACLs, concussions, intentional injury. There is a reason that this game has changed so much to where the QB is basically untouchable and hits below the knee and at the head are outlawed, chopblocks are illegal, the kickoff spot is moved up, etc.

The NFL doesn't want this generation of players to be coming after them 20 years from now because half of them suffer from dementia, and the other half are cripples.

It may seem somewhat hypocritical of the nfl, but trying to hurt someone by putting a bounty on a previously injured player cannot happen when they are trying to reduce the injuries these players are suffering on a yearly basis

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 05:02 PM)
I don't want to see players intentionally trying to injure each other, no. The long-term risks of concussions certainly were not well-known in previous decades and they really aren't pretty. It is, after all, just a game, and I do not want to see others intentionally debilitated, possibly for life, for my entertainment.

It's also important to note that the NFL owners are also assholes making bazillions of dollars but do not face the serious physical risks that the players do. The NFLPA is fighting for long-term care of the players who suffer life-long injuries while making the owners very wealthy.

There's very little difference between jacking someone up seriously and trying to hurt them. We're not talking about taking out someones knees or whatever - dirty plays that already have rules in place to guard against that type of outcome.

I mean, i'm in agreement that there shouldn't be a financial benefit for INTENTIONAL injury, but who gives a flying crap if Ray Lewis demolishes a WR coming over the middle and he gets an extra 5k bonus? Again, everyone signs up for this knowing full well the ramifications of playing a violent sport.

Basically this is going to get to a point where players are going to be paid millions for life. And we the fans get to pay for it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
The line is the intent to injure, remove from the game. The NFL wants hard hits, violence is part of the game. What Gregg Williams wants and is asking for are blown out ACLs, concussions, intentional injury. There is a reason that this game has changed so much to where the QB is basically untouchable and hits below the knee and at the head are outlawed, chopblocks are illegal, the kickoff spot is moved up, etc.

The NFL doesn't want this generation of players to be coming after them 20 years from now because half of them suffer from dementia, and the other half are cripples.

It may seem somewhat hypocritical of the nfl, but trying to hurt someone by putting a bounty on a previously injured player cannot happen when they are trying to reduce the injuries these players are suffering on a yearly basis

Right, there are already rules in place, so why the faux reaction? Williams went too far. But it's not some game-changing or earth-shattering secret that guys have always wanted to take other guys out. So long as it's within the rules and not cheap, illegal plays, it's just part of the sport IMO.

I just don't see the justification for giving the guy the death penalty for something that's not that far removed from what everyone acknowledges is a league-wide practice.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)
There's very little difference between jacking someone up seriously and trying to hurt them. We're not talking about taking out someones knees or whatever - dirty plays that already have rules in place to guard against that type of outcome.

I mean, i'm in agreement that there shouldn't be a financial benefit for INTENTIONAL injury, but who gives a flying crap if Ray Lewis demolishes a WR coming over the middle and he gets an extra 5k bonus? Again, everyone signs up for this knowing full well the ramifications of playing a violent sport.

Basically this is going to get to a point where players are going to be paid millions for life. And we the fans get to pay for it.

Uhhhh.....that's exactly what the bounty system was. Financial incentive for INTENTIONALLY injuring other players, including brain injuries (concussions). I have no desire to watch an NFL that actively endorses that sort of garbage.

And, again, the full ramifications of many of these injuries are just now being understood. The sudden focus on concussions is due to the significant portion of football players having serious psychological and physical problems and better understanding of what causes this.

If the actual long-term cost of what these players go through is millions of dollars of medical care for the rest of their life, why shouldn't they be covered? Why should a significant percentage of them be set up for a life of pain and suffering and financial struggles so that owners can keep millions and fans can enjoy their bloodsport? If it's a cost of the sport, it's a cost of the sport.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 05:14 PM)
Right, there are already rules in place, so why the faux reaction? Williams went too far. But it's not some game-changing or earth-shattering secret that guys have always wanted to take other guys out. So long as it's within the rules and not cheap, illegal plays, it's just part of the sport IMO.

I just don't see the justification for giving the guy the death penalty for something that's not that far removed from what everyone acknowledges is a league-wide practice.

What he is asking for is not within the rules, is cheap, and illegal. What part of that is hard to understand for you?

Plus, he was told to stop, and did not. And there were outside entities throwing in money as well.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 05:14 PM)

I believe he lied to NFL investigators and continued the bounty system after that. That's why the penalty was so harsh.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 05:19 PM)
What he is asking for is not within the rules, is cheap, and illegal. What part of that is hard to understand for you?

Plus, he was told to stop, and did not. And there were outside entities throwing in money as well.

jenks ideal version of football:

Police_Verso.jpg

One other huge issue for the NFL that were not thinking about is that the players are getting paid outside the salary cap structure. Might seem like a small issue...except for that whole lockout thing. And for the fact that it's no longer a big leap to having some of that money come from a gambler.