2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)
If he's there at 19, I'd have a hard time passing on that talent. He's a physical specimen and pairing him with Marshall on the outside with Bennett in the slot, combining that with Forte/Bush? That's a deadly offense. Plus, I'd love to get my hands on Dwayne Allen or Orson Charles at TE. But if you can trade down a few picks and add another pick, I wouldn't be against it, depending on who's available. It's hard to speculate until it unfolds.

Bears could definitely use a Z. Marshall is a stud X (who can play Z as well) and this allows Bennett to move to the slot where he's great at. But I agree with Balta that Peppers definitely needs help from getting double (sometimes triple) teamed so much. I'd also go DE.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id love to see the bears go

1RD Coples/Mercilous DE

2RD Zeitler OG (best available OL & a teammate of carimi)

3RD Charles TE

4RD Coryell Judie CB

5RD Streeter WR (6'5")

6RD DT/LB

7RD DT/LB

Addresses everything....wouldnt mind seein them trading down where I think you can still pick up a solid DE like McClellin, Perry, Branch, or depending where you fall Mercilous might still be there too.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)
Id love to see the bears go

1RD Coples/Mercilous DE

2RD Zeitler OG (best available OL & a teammate of carimi)

3RD Charles TE

4RD Coryell Judie CB

5RD Streeter WR (6'5")

6RD DT/LB

7RD DT/LB

Addresses everything....wouldnt mind seein them trading down where I think you can still pick up a solid DE like McClellin, Perry, Branch, or depending where you fall Mercilous might still be there too.

I wouldn't mind those first three rounds one bit. That'd be phenomenal.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 07:27 AM)
The Quinton Coples dropping to the Bears thing at 19 seems to be gaining some steam, but who knows. Seems very likely they go with best d-linemen available, whether its Coples, Poe, Brockers, Mercilus, Cox, Ingram. It also looks like they might have their choice of OL and WR too. If Floyd is there, it'd be hard for them to pass him up, and it seems pretty obvious they like Kendall Wright. Looks possible that Jonathan Martin is there too. It'll be very interesting to see how this plays out.

Ideally, DL/OL/WR/TE, if you get 3 of those in the first 3 rounds, I like it.

I think a lot depends on what the Jets do at 16. Do they trade up for Ingram or take Coples at 16?

I'd love the Cowboys to get Fletcher Cox, but it sounds like he's going at #6 to the Rams now. Think we'll go Mark Barron if the Pats don't trade up to 12-13 to nab him.

Mercilus I think will probably be the guy for the Bears. The WR class is really deep this year, so the Bears can afford to go that route in Round 2 or 3 instead really.

I'm still so pissed at the NFL for moving the draft to Thursday night when Saturday yielded such delicious partying potential.

I'm pissed that the first round of the draft is the same night the Sox make a rare out-of-market TV appearance.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)
What exactly is wrong the DLine, did I miss something? Paea, Melton, Idonije, Peppers... I thought that was pretty good.

The Bears have a pretty big need at end. They need to put someone opposite of Peppers who can help make an impact. Idonije is solid but he's not a strong pass rusher and if the Bears can find one, when you have Peppers on the opposite side, they could do some serious damage. I think the Bears will draft Mercilus (or a DE in the 1st). However, Floyd is always an option as is a tackle.

Most of the mocks Ive seen have Zietler in the 1st, so not sure hell be available at the Bears 2nd but that would be a nice pick.

As for the Bears first, Ive seen Brockers a few places, Id be fine with Upshaw as a DE as well. Not sure what the Bears will do, have a feeling it depends on availability.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 10:32 PM)
I'm always surprised by the positions the Bears take in every round after the first, so I've given up trying to figure it out in advance.

Since we've pretty much narrowed it down to someone on the line or perhaps a game changing WR, I am guessing the bears pick a safety, one that was projected in the 3rd round.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 12:01 PM)
I would love to see Chandler Jones opposite of Peppers. Partly because I want to see Bones Jones cheering on the Bears, and partly because I know he is pegged to be a stud DE

Haven't heard that name, any idea what round he's slotted in?

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:10 AM)
Jones is probably a 3-4 round pick.

Uh, he's a low 1st, high 2nd round pick at this point. Walter Football has him 16 to the Jets. Kiper, McShay and Mayock all have say he's a 1st rounder.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)
Haven't heard that name, any idea what round he's slotted in?

Last week I read an article that Lovie was wining and dining him, but they expected Jones to be gone by the time they picked. Maybe his stock has risen in the past couple months due to workouts and combines.

If he is built like his brother, he is pretty long and athletic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
Last week I read an article that Lovie was wining and dining him, but they expected Jones to be gone by the time they picked. Maybe his stock has risen in the past couple months due to workouts and combines.

If he is built like his brother, he is pretty long and athletic

I sincerely hope the Bears don't draft Chandler Jones. The guy had 4.5 sacks last year and 4 the year before. Wes Bunting has him as his 11th best DE in this class and gives him a grade of 6.0. He also missed time with a knee injury last year. I really, really hope the Bears don't take him.

EDIT- I'd be fine if they took him, but not in the first.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 12:15 PM)
Wow, 1st round. I hope he goes mid-first round. That way guys like Upshaw, Perry and McClellin could fall to the Packers.

Yeah, Jones has made a huge rise in the last few weeks. I really can't make up my mind on him... but I typically love guys with production. And he only had 10.5 sacks in 3 years. Granted, he was playing on some really bad teams. And he only played 7 games last year due to injury (then again, is that another red flag?). But, something about him just screams "workout warrior." I guess it comes down to he'll either boom or bust, and do you want to take a chance on that?

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
Yeah, Jones has made a huge rise in the last few weeks. I really can't make up my mind on him... but I typically love guys with production. And he only had 10.5 sacks in 3 years. Granted, he was playing on some really bad teams. And he only played 7 games last year due to injury (then again, is that another red flag?). But, something about him just screams "workout warrior." I guess it comes down to he'll either boom or bust, and do you want to take a chance on that?

There's 4-6 guys I'd rather take on the DL over Jones, Mercilus being one of them. He's raw, sure, but he at least produced. And it's not like Illiniois had a great team either. Right now, I'm really hoping for Coples. Coples/Brockers/Mercilus in that order on the DL, Floyd is he's there depending on what DL is available too. It's nice that they'll have a lot of options.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)

Especially in the first round. There is gonna be a ton of pass rushers with a proven track record available at pick 19.

In the second round I think he would be a nice risk.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
There's 4-6 guys I'd rather take on the DL over Jones, Mercilus being one of them. He's raw, sure, but he at least produced. And it's not like Illiniois had a great team either. Right now, I'm really hoping for Coples. Coples/Brockers/Mercilus in that order on the DL, Floyd is he's there depending on what DL is available too. It's nice that they'll have a lot of options.

Yep, same here. Jones is just way down my list of 1st round options... I'm a big proponent of going pass rusher in R1, but heck, if all of the DL that I like better than Jones are gone, then I would go WR/LB/OT before I took Jones. I just think there's better value in R2 or R3 at DE than taking a chance on Jones in the 1st.

I'd prefer any of these DL over Jones:

Coples

Upshaw

Ingram

Cox

Mercilus

Poe

Brockers

I love what Emery said today in the pre-draft presser: http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=8763

Summary:

Specifically mentioned the depth of this draft in WR, DE and DT, OT who can also play inside.

He also mentioned that in rounds 1 and 2, you're looking for starters and guys who are going to produce and be a part of sub-packages at the minimum. In rounds 3 and 4 you're looking for role players & contributors who have measurables/athleticism that you can develop but give you quality depth for the now.

Apparently they've identified 7 players that they want at 19.

I really love how open he is in regards to strategy, especially how much detail he gives about trading down.

Hearing people talk about Chandler Jones as a workout warrior who has everything you want except for tape, I can't help but think of Quentin Groves and Michael Johnson. Groves has been a mega bust as a 2nd round pick. Johnson has been semi-effective and definitely worthy of being drafted in the 3rd round like he was but he's definitely not a game changer by any stretch of the imagination. Arthur Jones also plays for the Ravens, but didn't see the field a lot last year and never as a rookie.

That's a guy I stay away from.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 02:54 PM)
More good news for the Saints. GM Mickey Loomis has been accused of eavesdropping on opposing coaching staffs in the Superdome from 2002-2004.

12-12 at home those seasons. You would think it would help out a little more than that. Since they've probably destroyed any evidence I bet nothing comes of this.