2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great to see the 49ers sign Baalke to a 3 yr extension..

The San Francisco 49ers made two significant moves on Friday for the stability of their future. CEO Jed York announced on his Twitter that general manager Trent Baalke has received a contract extension through 2016. Also, York announced that Gideon Yu has been promoted to team president.

“This is a wonderful day for Trent, his family and the 49ers organization,” said York. “Without question Trent has distinguished himself as the man to direct our football operations for years to come. Since taking over as General Manager last January, we have made great strides on the football field under Trent’s leadership. It gives me great pleasure to watch Trent and Jim work arm-in-arm with the common goal of leading the 49ers to championships.”

“I would like to thank Jed, and the York family, for this great opportunity and show of support,” said Baalke of the three-year extension. “In addition, I would like to thank Coach Harbaugh, as well as our coaches, players, scouts, and entire football operations staff for their hard work and dedication this season. The success we experienced on the field was a direct result of their efforts. It is a privilege to work for the 49ers organization, alongside this group, as we continue our pursuit of championships.”

http://www.examiner.com/san-francisco-49er...yu-to-president

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 10:22 AM)
Free agency is funny.

"SI.com's Peter King sees free agent Mario Manningham landing a deal that will pay him "at least" $7 million per season."

Peter King is also funny. Albeit, not intentionally

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
I love when he talks about the Red Sox.

"Things I think I am thinking about when I am walking into and out of Starbucks...thinking. About stuff"

"What would Brett Favre do?"

http://www.wvmetronews.com/wvu.cfm?func=di...p;storyid=50942

Former Mountaineer JT Thomas Arrested

Staff

MetroNews Sports

Early Monday morning, former WVU linebacker and current Chicago Bear J.T. Thomas was arrested and charged with a misdemeanor of possession of less than 15 grams of marijuana.

The incident occurred at 3:55 a.m. when Thomas was pulled over for going the opposite way on the one-way section of University Avenue in Morgantown. According to the criminal complaint, Thomas was driving over the 25 mph speed limit and was pulled over on Falling Run Road.

When asked to provide his registration for his car, he pulled a bundle from his glove compartment which contained two plastic bags of a green leafy substance that looked to be marijuana, according to the criminal complaint.

Thomas was in Morgantown for the weekend raising money for his foundation. The Florida native was injured for his rookie season with the Bears.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/break...story?track=rss

Colts owner Jim Irsay said he's regularly in contact with quarterback Peyton Manning. The goal, Irsay said, is for both sides to reach an agreement that makes sense for everyone involved.

"We've talked more in recent weeks than we have in most Februarys," Irsay said Thursday night, via WRTV Indianapolis. "Peyton and I have talked and said that we'd like to just come to something that makes sense for both of us."

Earlier this week, former Colts vice chairman Bill Polian urged the parties to get together, saying that it wasn't too late for Manning and the Colts to both win. Polian said he has full confidence Manning will play in 2012 and that only his arm strength, which has improved, is holding him back from being fully ready to play.

"We both know everyone has great interest on it," Irsay said. "We’ll just keep talking. And certainly by that date we’ll come up with something that makes sense for him and for the Colts. ... We both understand each other's issues. (We're) not delaying it for any intentional reason. It’s not only a big decision, but it’s a complicated and tough decision."

Manning is owed $28 million on March 8, a bonus payment that triggers the final four years of the five-year, $90 million deal he signed in July.

Polian and Irsay have both said the bonus could be decreased, delayed or reworked as part of a more team-friendly contract.

The Colts own the first overall pick in April's draft and Irsay has said the franchsie is very likely to select one of the top quarterbacks available, Stanford redshirt junior Andrew Luck and Baylor junior Robert Griffin III.