2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2012 -> 09:08 AM)
:notworthy

Can I claim the "It's morning" excuse?

Anyway, point to you, 30 demerits to me.

LOL, sure you can.

Anyways, Achilles is a brutal injury and recovery. Many times it snaps and balls up inside the calf and has to be extracted. I can only imagine how painful it must be for him. We may never see the same Suggs again.

Offseason basketball, I wonder how the contract works with that....

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 3, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
I was just about to post this...

I'd be surprised if their contracts limited any sort of physical activity like that in the offseason. You'd want them exercising and staying in top shape. It'd be different if he was playing professionally, but even then, you've had Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders in the past. I know CJ Wilson races cars (non-professionally) in the off-season, and many athletes get involved in charity sporting events.

TMZ is reporting that NFL legend Junior Seau was found dead today by his housekeeper from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest. Former WWE Superstar Bill Goldberg took to Twitter to share that he saw Seau just yesterday: "Sad day....Played in a Charity Golf tournament yesterday with Junior and now he's gone. RIP my friend. Please say a prayer for him."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/...re-his-suicide/

Very sad.

Edited by Soxfest

Two more picks signed.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post...-agrees-to-deal

Rookies Rodriguez, McCoy agree to deals

May, 8, 2012

By Michael C. Wright and Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com

The Chicago Bears agreed to terms with fourth-round pick Evan Rodriguez and seventh-round pick Greg McCoy on four-year contracts, the team announced on Tuesday.

Financial terms of the deals weren’t immediately disclosed.

Rodriguez, a tight end out of Temple, was a two-time first-team all-MAC selection. He caught 35 passes for 479 yards and two touchdowns during his senior season. Bears general manager Phil Emery said on draft day he envisions Rodriguez as not only a key contributor on special teams, but also a player capable of starting in the club's base offense.

A kick returner and cornerback, McCoy started 39 of 52 games at Texas Christian University, and was drafted in April by the Bears with the 220th overall selection. McCoy posted 92 tackles at TCU to go with seven interceptions and 17 pass breakups.

The Bears will initially use Rodriguez in the "F" tight end position, the same role held by former first-round selection Greg Olsen before he was traded to Carolina prior to last season. Rodriguez is considered a hybrid tight end/H-back, but will asked to stretch the field vertically in the passing game, according to Emery.

Rodriguez sees himself in the same mold as current New England tight end Aaron Hernandez, who put up big regular season (79 catches for 910 yards and seven touchdowns) and postseason (19-188-2) numbers in just his second year in the NFL.

He originally signed with West Virginia out of high school but transferred to Temple after one season with the Mountaineers. Rodriguez has been linked to several off-the-field incidents during his time at both West Virginia and Temple, but told the media upon being drafted that he's learned from his mistakes.

As a return man, McCoy racked up 1,505 yards on kickoffs with three touchdowns.

McCoy becomes the second player of Chicago’s 2012 draft class to agree to terms on a deal. The club announced it had agreed to terms last week with second-round receiver Alshon Jeffery.

With the McCoy deal, the Bears still need to complete four more contracts with rookies, using a pool of approximately $4.1 million.

It’s likely the Bears could announce more signings in the coming days because the club kicks off its rookie minicamp on Friday.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 14, 2012 -> 01:00 PM)
The Bears arent well known for paying top dollar for coaches.

Hasnt Lovie been in the top 5 paid coaches since his last contract?

There are different lists some have him at 5 others at 10, either way he is only being paid about what Cowher was paid in 2006.

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesNFLCoaches.htm

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/nfl-coaches...oaches2011.html

The key being that it is estimated Cowher made about $4-$5mil in 2006. So I just cant see the Bears paying the $7mil+ necessary to get Cowher, unless he takes a pay cut from his last job.

It also should be noted Lovie's salary is due to raises etc, his first contract was no where near this value. In 2006 Lovie smith was being paid $1.3mil as one of the lowest coaches.

So yes it is true Lovie Smith eventually got paid, the Bears did not sign him to a huge contract to start, it took him years to get that money. Where as Cowher would want it day 1, drastic difference.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 14, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)
There are different lists some have him at 5 others at 10, either way he is only being paid about what Cowher was paid in 2006.

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesNFLCoaches.htm

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/nfl-coaches...oaches2011.html

The key being that it is estimated Cowher made about $4-$5mil in 2006. So I just cant see the Bears paying the $7mil+ necessary to get Cowher, unless he takes a pay cut from his last job.

It also should be noted Lovie's salary is due to raises etc, his first contract was no where near this value. In 2006 Lovie smith was being paid $1.3mil as one of the lowest coaches.

So yes it is true Lovie Smith eventually got paid, the Bears did not sign him to a huge contract to start, it took him years to get that money. Where as Cowher would want it day 1, drastic difference.

You know, if I had my soxbadger hat on I would just point to your original statement and say that it looks nothing like the above bolded