2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 14, 2012 -> 03:58 PM)
You know, if I had my soxbadger hat on I would just point to your original statement and say that it looks nothing like the above bolded

You mean if you take 1 sentence and then ignore the explanation of the statement.

I dont do that. I always let people explain their position if the first statement is nothing more than a clearly generalized statement that most people would agree is true. Its not like my first statement is in conflict with my explanation, you merely are hanging your hat on an outlier, where as I was making a more general comment on the entire Bears coaching history.

The Bears historically do not pay new coaches well. Lovie Smith was one of the lowest paid coaches. The Bears have never hired a big name coach to start.

In fact since as far back as Im willing to go (Jack Pardee), the Bears have not hired any coach who had already coached in the NFL, all of their coaches were previously assistants, being given their first NFL head coaching chance, Armstrong, Ditka, Dave Wannstedt, Dick Jauron, Lovie Smith.

So I dont get what point you are trying to make, other than you seem to be following me around trying to snipe about nothing.

The Bears historically do not spend a lot of money on new coaches, I cant find one example to go against this, which was the point about Cowher. It could happen, its just something that has never happened in my life time.

I cant believe anyone even wants to argue this.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 14, 2012 -> 06:13 PM)
I'd rather have Carimi over there actually but whatever. See if he can do what we thought he could do years ago.

I think the article is speculating on position, I dont understand why they dont give Carimi a shot at LT, but who knows.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 14, 2012 -> 06:18 PM)
You mean if you take 1 sentence and then ignore the explanation of the statement.

I dont do that. I always let people explain their position if the first statement is nothing more than a clearly generalized statement that most people would agree is true. Its not like my first statement is in conflict with my explanation, you merely are hanging your hat on an outlier, where as I was making a more general comment on the entire Bears coaching history.

The Bears historically do not pay new coaches well. Lovie Smith was one of the lowest paid coaches. The Bears have never hired a big name coach to start.

In fact since as far back as Im willing to go (Jack Pardee), the Bears have not hired any coach who had already coached in the NFL, all of their coaches were previously assistants, being given their first NFL head coaching chance, Armstrong, Ditka, Dave Wannstedt, Dick Jauron, Lovie Smith.

So I dont get what point you are trying to make, other than you seem to be following me around trying to snipe about nothing.

The Bears historically do not spend a lot of money on new coaches, I cant find one example to go against this, which was the point about Cowher. It could happen, its just something that has never happened in my life time.

I cant believe anyone even wants to argue this.

Oh stop crying Badger, I am hardly following you around. You said the Bears historically do not pay coaches top dollar. If you had originally said they dont pay new coaches well, I would absolutely agree with that, because the Bears do not hire coaches that have HC experience, therefore they can get away with paying them less than most coaches in the NFL. But the Bears pay Lovie very well, so it isnt as if they are cheapskates across the board. Lovie proved to them that he could win, and he was rewarded with a very lucrative contract that placed him in the upper echelon of coaches in terms of contract.

if Cowher somehow came to the Bears, it would be a different animal altogether in two ways, 1) he has a long history of winning as a head coach, and 2) he will command a very large paycheck

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 14, 2012 -> 06:55 PM)
Oh stop crying Badger, I am hardly following you around. You said the Bears historically do not pay coaches top dollar. If you had originally said they dont pay new coaches well, I would absolutely agree with that, because the Bears do not hire coaches that have HC experience, therefore they can get away with paying them less than most coaches in the NFL. But the Bears pay Lovie very well, so it isnt as if they are cheapskates across the board. Lovie proved to them that he could win, and he was rewarded with a very lucrative contract that placed him in the upper echelon of coaches in terms of contract.

if Cowher somehow came to the Bears, it would be a different animal altogether in two ways, 1) he has a long history of winning as a head coach, and 2) he will command a very large paycheck

Thats not what I said, I said:

The Bears arent well known for paying top dollar for coaches.

So you bring up 1 coach, who they paid well for half of his tenure. That doesnt exactly disprove my point. I cant even believe that anyone would argue this. You arent disproving my point, you are trying to bring 1 outlier and act as if I said:

The Bears have never paid top dollar for a coach

See the difference?

As for your crying comment, last I checked I never have asked anyone to fight my battles. Ill just wait over here for you to prove that the Bears: "ARE WELL KNOWN FOR PAYING TOP DOLLAR FOR COACHES", because unless you can disprove that, you are just wasting everyone's time. Your not even arguing semantics well, because my quote is still clearly true, you just tried to create a strawman, that the Bears never have paid top dollar, which wasnt what I said.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 14, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)
I had a dream last night that Lovie would be open to playing some 3-4 defense. Clearly it was a dream.

Not sure why exactly you'd want that anyways. I understand that it's generally to a team's advantage to give different looks on occasion, but the biggest lineman on the 90-man roster is 2nd year player Jordan Miller at 315 lbs who has played as many games in the NFL regular season as you and I combined and the biggest player who gets any playing time at all is Toeaina at 307 lbs.

They aren't even really equipped to play a 3-4 defense even in little bits unless they just want teams to audible to a run up the gut.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 14, 2012 -> 07:42 PM)
Thats not what I said, I said:

So you bring up 1 coach, who they paid well for half of his tenure. That doesnt exactly disprove my point. I cant even believe that anyone would argue this. You arent disproving my point, you are trying to bring 1 outlier and act as if I said:

The Bears have never paid top dollar for a coach

See the difference?

As for your crying comment, last I checked I never have asked anyone to fight my battles. Ill just wait over here for you to prove that the Bears: "ARE WELL KNOWN FOR PAYING TOP DOLLAR FOR COACHES", because unless you can disprove that, you are just wasting everyone's time. Your not even arguing semantics well, because my quote is still clearly true, you just tried to create a strawman, that the Bears never have paid top dollar, which wasnt what I said.

badger, you sir are hilarious. have a good day.

KyYlE - You said "the Bears historically do not pay coaches top dollar."

Badger - Thats not what I said, I said:

"The Bears arent well known for paying top dollar for coaches."

Holy s***, dude, that's just beyond stupid to claim those statements mean something different.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 15, 2012 -> 07:10 AM)

Holy s***, dude, that's just beyond stupid to claim those statements mean something different.

Its fine, i created a straw man and lit it on fire. No biggie. :D

Lovie gets paid very well, is my total point. If the Bears brass wanted to do a massive upheaval and hire Cowher, I wouldnt think that money would be an issue. The Bears get a lot of flak from fans for being cheapskates, but really that era is long gone. There are a lot of hefty contracts on the Bears bill nowadays.

Now, whether they spent that money smartly is a completely different argument

Welcome to Badger land. On your right is Patrick Kane passed out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:05 AM)

LMAO. On your left is the girl he tried to "Wayne Brady chokeab****"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 15, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
Now, the real issue: what to do with an unhappy Forte

cut his ass, seriously. I don't even want to give him a long term deal at this point. I hate paying a lot of money to running backs, especially now that we have Bush

I would play this season out with him tagged, then reevaluate afterwards. If we win the SB or something, bring him back. If his 8+ million is standing in the way of us getting differencemakers, sayonara

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 15, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
Now, the real issue: what to do with an unhappy Forte

Offer him the best contract you can that makes sense for the Bears. If he says no, then just leave it on the table. He is not gonna sit out and give up his $7.7 million salary as a franchise player, considering how little he has earned so far in his career.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:05 AM)

Steve, I expected more from you. Even Kyle admits he created a strawman and that my comment is correct. If you want to argue the Bears pay top dollar historically to Head Coaches, go ahead. Otherwise I was pointing out the fact that Kyle couldnt even give me the decency of quoting me properly. I never argued that it meant different things, I simply stated "Thats not what I said", which is true, he misquoted me and that is quite frustrating when he simply could have cut and pasted.

So are you going to join the meathead mob and argue that the Bears historically have paid a lot of money to head coaches? Or are you going to continue to try and pick and choose sentences out of paragraphs, take them out of context and try and make a deal out of them.

I seriously dont care, I thought this was done between us. But quite frankly you want to keep it up, I will return the favor. I dont go out of my way to construct arguments with people or to try and catch people in "Gotchya moments", I posted something that most reasonable people would not even comment on.

Kyle decided he wanted to argue and create a strawman. I immediately called him on it, he acknowledged and in most circles, it would have been considered over. He was making a point about Lovie being paid well, although he did it in an annoying backwards way, its still a legitimate point.

What point were you making?

What point is SS2K making?

Look at the comments, entirely irrelevant, have nothing to do with the thread or conversation. They are merely noise and have little to no value. I cant believe he gets away with this, but I guess if you have the most posts on the boards and have "admin" next to your name, you can follow people around and just attack them for no reason.

Is that the group you want to be a part of Steve? Because your quickly approaching it.

Regardless of the battles, regardless of the arguments, I keep it in the thread. If I fight with you in NBA or in Buster, I dont bring it to NFL. Thats just childish and quite frankly people who do that are ruining the board.

So its your choice, I wont follow you around, I wont try and quote you out of context to make you have to argue a position you never took.

Can you agree to give me the same courtesy?

Otherwise Im probably going to stop posting here. I just want to talk sports and have fun, Im not here to have a bunch of people try and argue me all the time over nothing. You want to argue sports fine, you want to argue that the Bears are going to hire Cowher and pay him top dollar, thats your opinion. But Im entitled to my opinion and so far no one has even shown how my statement was so egregious.

Have a nice day.

Edited by Soxbadger

Oh okay, so you were being sarcastic that the Bears pay a lot to Lovie?

Color me confused, if you are going to be sarcastic, indicate it, otherwise anyone can say "Oh that post was just a joke, you didnt get it? haha, I never really meant that the Bears pay coaches, I just was joking, I cant believe you didnt realize that."

Weak.