2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:19 PM)
Yeah I consider our team about as deep as they come at QB. Maybe we can keep Nathan on in the practice squad if he clears?

Lol, he gawn. Already signed with the Jaguars

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 07:32 PM)
Plus if he skipped the season it affects when he can become a free agent too, right?

I may be wrong, but I believe that the Bears can franchise him again in 2013 even if he sits out 2012.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 12:34 AM)
I may be wrong, but I believe that the Bears can franchise him again in 2013 even if he sits out 2012.

They can franchise him next year regardless of whether he plays this year, but if he skips this year I don't think the dollar value increases. If he plays this year then next years tag is close to $10 million.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 11:34 PM)

Call me crazy, but the Bears should tag him this year and in 2013. He'll get all ~$17M, and that should be enough to live his life on. After that, they should let him walk. IIRC, he'll be 29 or 30 at that point. That's too old to give him a $8-9M/year deal. If he doesn't sign the tag for 2013, get the highest draft pick you can for him.

Edited by soxfan49

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:23 AM)
@ttwentyman

Unbelievable. Lions CB Aaron Berry reportedly arrested for DUI this weekend.

They are giving the Portland Jailblazers a run for their money

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)
I believe the entire NFL has a phone number they can call 24-7, that will pick them up and drive them if they are too drunk, no questions asked. Apparently most players aren't aware of it.

Really I had no idea.

I believe the entire NFL has a phone number they can call 24-7, that will pick them up and drive them if they are too drunk, no questions asked. Apparently most players aren't aware of it.

I don't know why players don't use that. I would use it even when I wasn't drinking.

It's called a taxi. And if they aren't aware of that, then they really are stupid.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 05:16 PM)

Yep, they do. I have no idea why any NFL player would drive drunk other than stubbornness and/or they just don't care. When I was in college, we had pledges that were on-call every night of the week and I used them all the time to take me home from the bars. Sure, you have to wait 10-15 minutes, but it sure beat driving drunk.

And yes, the other alternative is a taxi. If I can afford to take taxi's, I'm sure NFL players making millions can too.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)
Call me crazy, but the Bears should tag him this year and in 2013. He'll get all ~$17M, and that should be enough to live his life on. After that, they should let him walk. IIRC, he'll be 29 or 30 at that point. That's too old to give him a $8-9M/year deal. If he doesn't sign the tag for 2013, get the highest draft pick you can for him.

I'm actually with you. He's a very good running back, but we can move on without him. The best part is that we already have a good back whether he wants to play this year or not. Forte is the best option for the next two years, but I have a feeling the money won't be worth it after that. Everyone wins because he'll get the same money he's asking for and we will make him earn it.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 10:16 PM)
Yep, they do. I have no idea why any NFL player would drive drunk other than stubbornness and/or they just don't care. When I was in college, we had pledges that were on-call every night of the week and I used them all the time to take me home from the bars. Sure, you have to wait 10-15 minutes, but it sure beat driving drunk.

And yes, the other alternative is a taxi. If I can afford to take taxi's, I'm sure NFL players making millions can too.

My college has a program where if you call a particular cab company (whose number is on your ID, your fob access, and all kinds of s***) you do not have to pay up front for the service. The school covers it that night and it appears on your student bill as a miscellaneous fee.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 10:36 PM)
My college has a program where if you call a particular cab company (whose number is on your ID, your fob access, and all kinds of s***) you do not have to pay up front for the service. The school covers it that night and it appears on your student bill as a miscellaneous fee.

Thats literally the coolest thing I ever heard, I just wish we had a single cab in Oxford.

I don't think money is the issue. I think the issues are (1) think they're too good to be seen in a common taxi cab and (2) don't trust leaving their super-expensive car at some bar overnight.

When I lived in Chicago I had a friend who was an attorney making nice coin (but nowhere near NFL money). He had a really nice Lexus, and he refused to leave it overnight or let anybody else drive it no matter how much he'd been drinking. I had to threaten to call the cops on him two different times in order to convince him not to drive.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)
Some of these f***ing idiots could afford a damn chauffeur. The Lions rap sheet is pretty extensive this offseason.

Hell, if it's that big of a deal for the guy to not leave the car behind, then the teams/league can contract with a tipsy-tow service. At least for the Lions, I think it'd clearly have been worth it.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 10:36 PM)

I had no idea that Rhodes did that. That's awesome. And I'm sure they have a deal with that cab company that lowers the rate b/c it gives them more business. Win-win for all parties involved.