2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 12:01 PM)
I thought I heard that Forte was looking for $20 mil, while the Bears were offering closer to $15 mil

You heard right.

IMO, if the deal is only $16 million guaranteed, then Emery deserves some huge props. If they ended up offering Forte closer to the $24 million mark, then it just seemed like they conceded. It's doubtful that Forte would get more guaranteed money than McCoy though.

Edited by chw42

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else feel weird about ESPN talking about a Chicago team's drama as a breaking news story?

I feel like this somehow has to be related to New York/Tebow and I don't know how yet....WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVE, ESPN?

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 12:56 PM)
Suntimes is reporting $18 mil guaranteed.

A little more than Lynch got, but less than McCoy & Foster, sounds about right relatively. A little higher than I thought the Bears would go though.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 01:08 PM)
Can't believe it took them this long just to end in the middle....

The lawyers who they paid would say it was "the art of negotiation". But the reality is that without a deadline no one does anything. No real incentive for the Bears to sign him earlier to a long term deal, every day hes not under contract mitigates risk.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Ray Rice signed a five-year, $40 million contract that includes $17 million in year one and $25 million in the first two years.

So more guaranteed money, but same on average as Forte. Hmm...

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 04:40 PM)
Fair market deal for Forte but I just dont see the point in giving a rb a long term deal. Odds are that Forte will be useless by the 3rd or 4th year of the deal.

I don't see 4 years being overly long and I don't see many good RB's that would agree to a 3 year or less deal. I think Forte will be worth the money barring major injury for at least 3 of the years signed.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 04:40 PM)
Fair market deal for Forte but I just dont see the point in giving a rb a long term deal. Odds are that Forte will be useless by the 3rd or 4th year of the deal.

Then you cut him, it's the NFL

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 05:02 PM)
Its a risky prop bet.

If you think GB is going to win the division, bears are fighting a lot of teams for the Wild Card. I think the bears make the playoffs, but its not a for sure thing.

I think the bears can compete with GB for the division, 7-3 before injuries and no Brandon Marshall.

One of his reasonings was Jay Cutler put on 22 pounds....

I just think its much more fair than your original statement. Its not "ridiculous" there are plenty of scenarios where the Bears dont make the playoffs. I think youd be a slight favorite if vegas gave the bet odds, but there are plenty of chances for you to lose.

32 mil, 18 guaranteed at 8 million per is just about perfect... he wanted more, and he wanted Foster/McCoy type bread, but he wasn't getting all that, and there was a statistical case to be made that he really shouldn't. That's plenty of bread. If he's still productive after 4 years, he'll get another deal. The lack of a 5th year doesn't really matter... because if he wasn't performing at a level worthy of an extension by then, he'd get cut anyway.

Soooooooooo glad this saga is behind us and now the team can focus on more important things, and i can stop seeing arguments break out everywhere, or see how cheap everyone thinks the organization is.

Marshawn Lynch, who recently signed a deal similar to Forte's, is the latest passenger on the DUI train. He has a previous history of run-ins, so he may be facing suspension. Truly amazing that $17 million guaranteed is not enough money to pay for a taxi/limo after a few drinks.