2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

per ESPN, the Jets have now unveiled the

"TEBOW WILDCAT OFFENSE"

not to be confused with the regular wildcat offense. Not since the Randy Ratio has the NFL needed to be more fearful of an offense

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 09:28 AM)
Jets beat writer pretty much says this everyday.

@BrianCoz

Jets offense looks awful today. #nyj

He'll probably post that at least 10 times this season.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 06:08 PM)
This is bizarre. Somewhere Dane Sanzenbacher is doing backflips.

I have a feeling people are going to be leaving the league early being happy that their brain is intact in higher numbers as time goes on.

I meet Williams, who had the two-muffed-punt nightmare in the NFC Championship Game last January, and there's no mistaking his allegiances: He was wearing a Chicago White Sox hat and Jordan T-shirt, and underneath his friendly and respectful exterior, he came across as being Chicago tough. I asked where he got the ability to cope with the crushing weight of his role in the Niners losing out on a trip to the Super Bowl, and it turns out it has much to do with his dad, Kenny, the general manager of the White Sox for the past 12 years.

"Growing up in Chicago,'' Kyle said, "I'd ride with my dad to White Sox games, and he'd have sports radio on. Some people would praise the job he was doing, and sometimes he'd be getting torn apart. I'd look over at him driving. He'd have no emotion. It didn't affect him one way or the other. His attitude was, 'No matter what you do, positive or negative, you'll get criticized.' His whole professional demeanor taught me a lot. I was a sponge. I soaked it in, all of it.''

I get Kenny Williams on the phone and relay what his son said.

There's a pause. Three, four seconds.

"That gives me chills, honestly,'' Kenny Williams said. "He never told me that. That's ... something I appreciate."

Kyle was 12 when his dad was named general manager of the White Sox. "When I got the job in Chicago, there was a lot of, 'He just got the job because he's black.' Some tough things happened. We had 'n-----' spray-painted on the side of the house.''

Young Kyle soaked it in, and the toughness he saw from his father showed up last Jan. 22. As the backup punt-returner pressed into duty because of an injury to Ted Ginn Jr., Williams dropped back to return a Giants' punt with 11 minutes left and San Francisco up 14-10. The punt bounced funny and nicked his leg, and after a replay challenge confirmed the muff, the Giants got the ball at the Niner 29 and scored the go-ahead touchdown. In overtime, fielding a punt on a bounce, Williams had the ball punched loose and the Giants recovered at the Niner 24. Two minutes later Lawrence Tynes' field goal won it.

Kenny Williams was sitting in the stands watching the game. I asked him if his heart broke when he saw the misplays. "It did. It did. But as much as it hurt, I thought, 'OK, here's an opportunity to see what my son's made of.' ''

"The first one took an odd bounce and got me,'' Kyle said last week. "I didn't feel it at the time, but it got me. The second one, I saw a seam, tried to make a play and 57 [Jacquian Williams] got a paw on it. After the game, I was crushed. But honestly, I was more worried about my teammates than anything else because we worked so hard to get that far.''

Kyle Williams stood up and faced the media music after that game. He took the blame. His father stood nearby and watched him. "As much as my heart sank when those plays happened,'' Kenny Williams said, "my pride soared when I watched him answer each question, look his questioner in the eyes and accept total responsibility.''

When they met after the game -- "even before I hugged him,'' dad said -- he looked at Kyle and said, "How are you going to come back from this? You man enough to handle this?''

"Absolutely,'' Kyle said.

The days that followed brought Twitter threats of harm to Williams and his family. (Sound familiar?) Kyle said he wasn't concerned about that as much as what his teammates thought. To a man, they were supportive. Kyle Williams looked for averted eyes from his teammates, heads shaking at him, anything. He knew he'd probably cost his team a shot at the Super Bowl. He never saw, or heard, anything suggesting disloyalty -- and if he did, he wouldn't have blamed them.

So now he's back at camp, with a tougher road to a roster spot than last year. The 49ers lost wideout Josh Morgan in free agency to Washington, but they've gained Randy Moss and Mario Manningham, and Ginn returns. Williams (20 receptions, 12.1 yards per catch last year) is in the mix and should make the roster if the Niners keep six receivers, but nothing is guaranteed. "I've come to terms with it,'' he said. "It's plays I made, not the player I am. I think they know they can trust me.''

Do they? Loyalty to a well-liked and respected teammate is one thing. But this is a dog-eat-punt-muffer business. I asked Jim Harbaugh: Can you put Kyle Williams back there again to field a big punt?

"We like Kyle Williams; he is one of us,'' Harbaugh said. "The folks who want to continue bringing this up -- this is not going to be a continuing story. It isn't with us. We will not allow the media to hang an albatross around his neck. He is on the inside of the team looking out.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writ...l#ixzz22losYQ3o

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 07:33 PM)
I have a feeling people are going to be leaving the league early being happy that their brain is intact in higher numbers as time goes on.

Yup. He said he suffered a bad neck stinger late last year, which kind of worried him. Good for him.

As a result, Rashied Davis has signed with the Bears.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 07:33 PM)

I think money/fame will make sure most people stay for relatively long careers.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 10:32 PM)
TO......................Moss has looked good reports say!

TO running sub 4.5 40s in a really thin group of wideouts. Moss seems like a glorified deep threat at this point in his career and Alex Smith doesn't seem like the kind of guy who can get him the ball on a consistent basis. TO has always been an over the middle guy - I don't see why that would change now - and some combination of Flynn/Jackson/Wilson should be able to get him the ball a decent amount.

I'd make a friendly wager with whomever would like that TO outproduces Moss this year.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 12:02 PM)
Roger Goodell ‏@nflcommish

We are deeply saddened by the news about Garrett Reid. Our thoughts and prayers are with Andy, Tammy and their family

I guess the kid was battling an awful heroin addiction.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 06:21 PM)
Did I just hear on the radio that Urlacher is not playing for some reason?

He hasn't practiced for a week. Having issues with his knee. Not certain, but I believe it may be related to his off-season surgery.