2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)

It's not really s***. Bolt isn't a great starter and the 40-yard dash is very different than a 100-meter sprint. I think an in-prime Chris Johnson would certainly have a shot. Now, 100 meters, no way in hell. Bolt is the fastest human ever. But Bolt doesn't really separate from the pack until mid-way through the race .

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)

The 40? That is a slight maybe. The worst part of Bolt's race is his starts. Once he gets to striding, it is over. The longer the race goes, the more of a slaughter it would be.

Re: Cam Newton, I think it's very likely you see a regression. Not a garbage player type regression, but a full summer of coaches to figure out his tendencies will have an effect.

I see Cam being in the top 3 of Qb's this season

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
It's not really s***. Bolt isn't a great starter and the 40-yard dash is very different than a 100-meter sprint. I think an in-prime Chris Johnson would certainly have a shot. Now, 100 meters, no way in hell. Bolt is the fastest human ever. But Bolt doesn't really separate from the pack until mid-way through the race .

What i am referring to is that Johnson keeps talking about it. Just frickin do it, stop talking about it

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
What teams will they beat to have 11 wins?

I think they have better than average shots at beating Dallas, the Lions twice, Carolina, and possibly the Packers once.

I think they have better than average shots at beating Dallas, the Lions twice, Carolina, and possibly the Packers once.

The Dallas and Carolina games will be very close. Packers will be tough to beat. You really think the Bears can beat the Lions twice?

What's so great about the Panthers? Are they like the Nets of the NFL this year? The team thats sucked forever and they make a few good moves and suddenly everyone thinks they'll beast? They're still the Panthers.

We'll beat the Packers at home, and we'll win one of Cowboys or Panthers. There's your 11 wins.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)
The Dallas and Carolina games will be very close. Packers will be tough to beat. You really think the Bears can beat the Lions twice?

I dont think the Lions were as good as their record last season. Plus, half their team is suspended lol

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
What's so great about the Panthers? Are they like the Nets of the NFL this year? The team thats sucked forever and they make a few good moves and suddenly everyone thinks they'll beast? They're still the Panthers.

We'll beat the Packers at home, and we'll win one of Cowboys or Panthers. There's your 11 wins.

People are expecting Newton to develop and improve, they have a very solid running game (outside of Newton), they have a decent defense and are getting Jon Beason back from missing basically all of 2011. I think Carolina will be a pretty good team this year actually.

People are expecting Newton to develop and improve, they have a very solid running game (outside of Newton), they have a decent defense and are getting Jon Beason back from missing basically all of 2011. I think Carolina will be a pretty good team this year actually.

But does that mean we should fear them and expect a loss to them? We're a pretty good team too, we were even before this offseason. We were a good team with Earl Bennett and Knox as our #1 receivers.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
But does that mean we should fear them and expect a loss to them? We're a pretty good team too, we were even before this offseason. We were a good team with Earl Bennett and Knox as our #1 receivers.

Once you get to this point, you ought to realize the futility of projecting W/L based on which is the better team. The better team will lose some of these games and the worse team will wiin some of these games, and that applies to every team in the league.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 07:34 PM)

I mean, maybe i'm wrong, but a 60% completion and 4000 yards passing is a lot to replicate. You often see NFL QBs that had good rookie seasons slide a bit the next year.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 03:51 PM)
I just don't think we'll lose 7 with the most stacked team we've seen in ages, unless injuries happen to key pieces.

I'm in this boat also, which means that either I'm wrong or that the Bears are going to beat some teams that look like challenges right now.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 03:57 PM)
I mean, maybe i'm wrong, but a 60% completion and 4000 yards passing is a lot to replicate. You often see NFL QBs that had good rookie seasons slide a bit the next year.

Some of those yards were piled up in games where the Panthers got behind early. You could conceivably see them get better and have his total yards go down somewhat if he isn't throwing to try to catch up.