2012-2013 NFL Thread

Its not just because hes famous and fast, its because he had a pretty ridiculous rate of conversion for Florida.

I never liked him as a QB, even back when he was at Nease High (they played Hoover back when Hoover had a television show so I saw him) but the guy was pretty effective.

I see no problem with Tebow being used inside the 10 yard line. Its just like bush being used over Forte. Different guys, different roles.

The problem is when you start to think of Tebow as a real qb, instead of a gimmick.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
Not only starting QB, but also running backs. It would piss off a lot of people, really. You are basically asking the offense to shoulder the load of going the length of the field only to hand off to a quarterback that cannot throw because he is famous and fast.

Shouldn't matter. Whatever is the best way to score points is the way you should utilize your personnel.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
Shouldn't matter. Whatever is the best way to score points is the way you should utilize your personnel.

Sure. But me and you dont have to deal with egos and paychecks. :)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 01:49 PM)
Sure. But me and you dont have to deal with egos and paychecks. :)

The real problem is when those egos and paychecks start impacting your ability to score points.

Thankfully, no one would have said that was a recent problem for the Jets, right?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 11:54 AM)
The real problem is when those egos and paychecks start impacting your ability to score points.

Thankfully, no one would have said that was a recent problem for the Jets, right?

Well that is my point...you can't allow the paychecks and incentives clauses to determine what personnel you utilize and what offense you call.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)
Well that is my point...you can't allow the paychecks and incentives clauses to determine what personnel you utilize and what offense you call.

But if you don't do that...then you wind up with the Jets last year. Santonio Holmes, for example, wasn't all that happy with his stats and he made that clear on the field.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 12:01 PM)
But if you don't do that...then you wind up with the Jets last year. Santonio Holmes, for example, wasn't all that happy with his stats and he made that clear on the field.

Then don't sign whiny players and don't sign them to incentive-packed contracts.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
Bills got nothing out of that experiment.

It was worth the risk. Nothing came of it, nothing is lost, you move on. If he could have shown even signs of being the old Merriman, even as a situational pass rusher, it would have been worth it, but he's brittle as it is and was a monster early in his career because of his quickness off the edge in a 3-4. As a defensive end in a 4-3? He never really had a shot.

Beyond that, they have a solid trio of ends in Williams, Anderson, and Kelsay. Merriman wasn't going to provide a whole lot for that team.

It is a good thing the Seahawks spent all that money on Matt Flynn, now that they seem to be handing the job to Russell Wilson.

Im not saying the move is wrong, but Carroll's handling of the roster in Seattle has been insane.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 12:57 AM)
If he could have shown even signs of being the old Merriman

For that to happen he would have needed a healthy dose of steroids he was taking back then.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
Russell Wilson is extremely talented.

Never understood the Flynn love, but a lot of people liked him.

Everytime he got a shot he put up pretty gaudy numbers.

Except he wasnt even good that great college, the only time he actually played in relevant games.

Since 2004, he has only played over 10 games in 1 season, 2007 LSU, here were his stats:

Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate

202 359 56.3 2407 6.7 6.5 21 11 125.8

Otherwise the guy has only thrown 130 passes in 4 years.

In comparison here are Wilson's stats last year at Wisconsin:

225 309 72.8 3175 10.3 11.8 33 4 191.8

Here is something even more crazy:

Flynn's career stats (including college) 569 passes, 4111 yards, 30 tds, 18 ints

Wilson Career: 1489 passes, 11720 yards, 109 tds, 30 ints

Flynn is completely untested at basically every level.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 02:35 PM)
Except he wasnt even good that great college, the only time he actually played in relevant games.

Since 2004, he has only played over 10 games in 1 season, 2007 LSU, here were his stats:

202 359 56.3 2407 6.7 6.5 21 11 125.8

Otherwise the guy has only thrown 130 passes in 4 years.

In comparison here are Wilson's stats last year at Wisconsin:

225 309 72.8 3175 10.3 11.8 33 4 191.8

Here is something even more crazy:

Flynn's career stats (including college) 569 passes, 4111 yards, 30 tds, 18 ints

Wilson Career: 1489 passes, 11720 yards, 109 tds, 30 ints

Flynn is completely untested at basically every level.

Posting college stats doesn't have much to do with the NFL, it's a completely different game and guys that dominate in college can be undrafted or late round picks. The reason Flynn got the contract is because every time he filled in for GB he posted very good games and constantly people put too much hype in small sample sizes of backup QB's.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)
Posting college stats doesn't have much to do with the NFL, it's a completely different game and guys that dominate in college can be undrafted or late round picks. The reason Flynn got the contract is because every time he filled in for GB he posted very good games and constantly people put too much hype in small sample sizes of backup QB's.

Im not sure what you are getting at, the point of the stats were how much more experience Wilson has than Flynn.

Flynn has never put up great stats. You may think College stats are useless, but you have to use something.

Even stranger is you seemingly reached the same conclusion, that to much hype was given to a small sample size.

Odd

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
Im not sure what you are getting at, the point of the stats were how much more experience Wilson has than Flynn.

Flynn has never put up great stats. You may think College stats are useless, but you have to use something.

Even stranger is you seemingly reached the same conclusion, that to much hype was given to a small sample size.

Odd

I was getting at posting college stats is a waste of time and don't have much to do with the argument and being a backup in NFL gives you more relevant experience than a starter in college.... But, constantly you see backup QB's get hyped up when they make a few good starts and they turn out to be backups for a reason.

Obviously with the big contract the Seahawks almost have to give Flynn first crack and it is only preseason so who knows how he will look when regular season starts, but I'm thinking Kevin Kolb like results.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)

Odd

All I was talking about was his performance backing up Rodgers, in which he put up pretty good numbers. Of course it is a small sample size, and it may very well be the Green Bay offensive machine that he was operating in, but he did well. his career numbers, no matter how small, arent bad and they got him his contract in Seattle. Not unlike Matt Hasselbeck.

And like i said, my comment had nothing to do with whether Russell Wilson is the right choice or not. The amount of turnover in Seattle since Carroll took over is beyond ridiculous. And you can no longer blame it on him cleaning house from the previous regime, he just continuously changes his personnel.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)
I was getting at posting college stats is a waste of time and don't have much to do with the argument and being a backup in NFL gives you more relevant experience than a starter in college.... But, constantly you see backup QB's get hyped up when they make a few good starts and they turn out to be backups for a reason.

Obviously with the big contract the Seahawks almost have to give Flynn first crack and it is only preseason so who knows how he will look when regular season starts, but I'm thinking Kevin Kolb like results.

I disagree that being a back up in NFL gives more relevant experience.

Being a starter gives more relevant experience, which is why outside of Tom Brady, the top QB's were all starters in college, and generally for at least 2 years.

If you cant even win the starting job at your college, how are you going to win the job in the NFL?

Yes I get that Flynn was a back up to Jamarcus, but that guy isnt even in the NFL.

The point of the stats was to show how little actual playing time Flynn has had, and I think thats relevant.

Edited by Soxbadger

Kyle,

I dont think Seattle planned on drafting Wilson. But he fell to them and they took a chance. If the guy was a few inches taller, he was easily a 1st round pick. He had the highest qb rating in NCAA history playing for a running team.

I guess the question is:

Would you rather have a team who puts out the guy they think is the best?

Or the guy with the biggest salary?