2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)
And I can't immediately respond that Roethlisberger is an excellent passing QB as well? Roethlisberger's QB rating over the last 3 years is ~ 96, compared to about 103 for Brees. Brees is clearly at another level, but over the last 3 years, Roethlisberger has been #5, #5, and #10 in the league in QB Rating.

You could, but you just said yourself that you shouldn't.

Maybe I should have rephrased it as a product of playing with Brees and in that system

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 12:02 PM)
You could, but you just said yourself that you shouldn't.

Maybe I should have rephrased it as a product of playing with Brees and in that system

And if I wanted to be picky, I could certainly say that Roethlisberger is particularly effective throwing down the field on broken plays, and that Wallace could easily have benefited from that.

Anyway, Mike Wallace appears to be an excellent receiver, and I'd probably take him over Colston too, but mostly because of health reasons...if there wasn't also the draft pick involved. But I certainly can't say I'd "Much rather have him over Bowe or Jackson", and that was the original statement.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
What? Where did I say Wallace isnt a top flight WR? I said I preferred an UFA WR, not because I think theyre all better, even though a few of them certainly are, but because it wouldnt cost us a 1st round pick. I then said if we were going to try to use our first round pick to trade for a WR Id rather offer it for Marshall then Wallace, and thats because I would definitely prefer a 6'4" 230 frame to a 6'0 200 frame and because Marshall already has a proven successful track record with Cutler.

I do think Wallace is a good WR but he also isnt the type of WR they are really hurting for currently. Hes more of a stretch the field speed WR and hasnt had more then 71 catches in a season. The Bears have been desperate for a bigger body, possession, move the chains type WR for years and that should be a bigger priority. Now if we cant land any of those guys then Wallace is certainly an upgrade and I wouldnt complain if we got him, but to say that this type of logic is "silly" is beyond ridiculous and extremely dumb.

"If they couldnt land one of the top flight WR's via FA then I wouldnt be opposed to Wallace."

The wording here leads to the inference that you believe Wallace is NOT a top flight WR. Hence, you know, my response.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 10:03 AM)
Really? How on Earth do you come to the conclusion that he's vastly better than Bowe, Jackson, or Colston? He's not obviously higher than any of them in terms of total receptions, total yards, or yards per reception.

Pittsburgh has one of the best WR cores in football. Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Ward and they also have Heath Miller. The ball gets spread around. Wallace is a TD machine, a big play threat, opens up everything underneath (which would be great for TE and Bennett) and has blazing speed. I'd take him over any of the other currently available options in FA.

Mike Wallace: 72, 1193, 8

Dwayne Bowe: 81, 1159, 5

Vincent Jackson: 60, 1106, 9

Marques Colston: 80, 1143, 8

Jackson was maddeningly inconsistent, took a lot of plays off, and had games where he literally was invisible. Bowe is about as talented as they come and has dealt with crappy QB, so he would be a great target. Colston has been the go-to WR in New Orleans but has had injury problems.

I'm a huge Mike Wallace fan. He's a young, big-play WR who can do it all.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)
Might as well take Dwayne Bowe off the list. He isn't going anywhere. He will either be tagged or sign a long term deal. KC has the most cap space in the NFL.

I thought I saw the other day that Tampa was the most with over $60 million in free space?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)
I thought I saw the other day that Tampa was the most with over $60 million in free space?

Salary Cap Space

Team Cap Space

1. Tampa Bay $67M

2. Kansas City $62M

3. Cincinnati $60M

4. Washington $49M

4. Denver $49M

6. Jacksonville $45M

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
Salary Cap Space

Team Cap Space

1. Tampa Bay $67M

2. Kansas City $62M

3. Cincinnati $60M

4. Washington $49M

4. Denver $49M

6. Jacksonville $45M

Still a ridiculous amount. I though the Bears were impressive with their $25 millionish total.

And how the heck is Washington on that list?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)
Still a ridiculous amount. I though the Bears were impressive with their $25 millionish total.

And how the heck is Washington on that list?

Redskins have kinda cooled on signing free agents.

Haynesworth was their last really dumb signing.

I am prediciting that the 49ers will sign Wallace and Garcon...

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niners-talk...amp;feedID=5884

The 49ers will draft a wide receiver. It won't necessarily be in the first round, but they will draft a wide receiver.

But, first, the 49ers will sign a couple wide receivers after free agency begins on March 13. The 49ers need to add a wide receiver (or two) who can take some of the heat off Michael Crabtree, who led the team in receptions and receiving yards last season.

The market will dictate what the 49ers are able to do in free agency. Last year, they signed Braylon Edwards to a low-risk deal. Edwards got injured early in the season and never produced. He became disengaged and he was released.

Remember what the 49ers did last season at cornerback? That could be the template the 49ers use to find a receiver, too.

The 49ers drafted a cornerback (Chris Culliver), and they also kicked the tires on some of the top free agents, such as Nnamdi Asomugha and Johnathan Joseph.

Once the prices for those players exceeded what they had budgeted for the position, the 49ers moved on. Veteran Carlos Rogers fell through the cracks, and the 49ers landed him on a one-year contract.

The 49ers will undoubtedly be interested in receivers Vincent Jackson and the aforementioned Mike Wallace. Chief negotiator Paraag Marathe and Baalke have determined the price at which the 49ers can pay those players while not throwing the salary structure of the entire team out of whack.

If the prices get too high, the 49ers will move on to the next player on their list.

And who might be a second-tier receiver on their list? One player to keep an eye on his Pierre Garcon.

Garcon isn't particularly big (6-foot, 210 pounds), but he's relatively young (turns 26 in August), and he somehow had his best season in 2011 in spite of the Indianapolis Colts' mess at quarterback. Garcon caught 70 passes for 947 yards, averaging 13.5 yards a catch, while grabbing six touchdowns.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
I am prediciting that the 49ers will sign Wallace and Garcon...

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niners-talk...amp;feedID=5884

The 49ers will draft a wide receiver. It won't necessarily be in the first round, but they will draft a wide receiver.

But, first, the 49ers will sign a couple wide receivers after free agency begins on March 13. The 49ers need to add a wide receiver (or two) who can take some of the heat off Michael Crabtree, who led the team in receptions and receiving yards last season.

The market will dictate what the 49ers are able to do in free agency. Last year, they signed Braylon Edwards to a low-risk deal. Edwards got injured early in the season and never produced. He became disengaged and he was released.

Remember what the 49ers did last season at cornerback? That could be the template the 49ers use to find a receiver, too.

The 49ers drafted a cornerback (Chris Culliver), and they also kicked the tires on some of the top free agents, such as Nnamdi Asomugha and Johnathan Joseph.

Once the prices for those players exceeded what they had budgeted for the position, the 49ers moved on. Veteran Carlos Rogers fell through the cracks, and the 49ers landed him on a one-year contract.

The 49ers will undoubtedly be interested in receivers Vincent Jackson and the aforementioned Mike Wallace. Chief negotiator Paraag Marathe and Baalke have determined the price at which the 49ers can pay those players while not throwing the salary structure of the entire team out of whack.

If the prices get too high, the 49ers will move on to the next player on their list.

And who might be a second-tier receiver on their list? One player to keep an eye on his Pierre Garcon.

Garcon isn't particularly big (6-foot, 210 pounds), but he's relatively young (turns 26 in August), and he somehow had his best season in 2011 in spite of the Indianapolis Colts' mess at quarterback. Garcon caught 70 passes for 947 yards, averaging 13.5 yards a catch, while grabbing six touchdowns.

What about all these guys?

Alex Smith

Carlos Rogers

Dashon Goldson

Ted Ginn

Josh Morgan

Ahmad Brooks

What about all these guys?

Alex Smith

Carlos Rogers

Dashon Goldson

Ted Ginn

Josh Morgan

Ahmad Brooks

Brooks will not becoming back to us. Rogers & Smith have said he will take less money to stay in SF. We will tag Goldson.

We will also be cutting or trading Spencer.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 10:19 AM)
Brooks will not becoming back to us. Rogers & Smith have said he will take less money to stay in SF. We will tag Goldson.

We will also be cutting or trading Spencer.

How would you rate Brooks? He is someone the Packers might take a look at.