2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
It was Scott Pioli, I knew that someone from NE had gone to KC and sold them on Cassel.

Also, Cassel started all of 2008, so 16 games in the NFL trumps anything done in college. If Flynn started all last season, this wouldnt even be a discussion.

You're right.

Several members from the NE organization moved on to KC.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 01:12 PM)
It was Scott Pioli, I knew that someone from NE had gone to KC and sold them on Cassel.

Also, Cassel started all of 2008, so 16 games in the NFL trumps anything done in college. If Flynn started all last season, this wouldnt even be a discussion.

It also proves that College experience means jack s*** when evaluating NFL players

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
It also proves that College experience means jack s*** when evaluating NFL players

Oh come on now, Cassel didnt play because he was behind Leinart.

If he had college experience Cassel would have been drafted higher than the 7th round. So it actually proves that college experience does mean something as Im pretty sure every draft evaluation down graded him for not having experience.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)
Oh come on now, Cassel didnt play because he was behind Leinart.

If he had college experience Cassel would have been drafted higher than the 7th round. So it actually proves that college experience does mean something as Im pretty sure every draft evaluation down graded him for not having experience.

Where he was drafted hasnt had anything to do with his ability to play, Badger. You keep throwing college numbers out there and basically dismissing Flynns senior year and 3 NFL games as not enough experience, yet Belichek threw a guy out there that hadnt started a game SINCE HIGH SCHOOL and was drafted in the 7th round. Who cares where he was drafted is what I am saying. Who cares how much college experience he has is what I am saying. These scouts look at the players production against NFL players. They didnt pull up Cassels 19 passes in college and high school heydays to see if he was able to play against an NFL defense, they looked at how he played against the Patriots defense in practice.

I do think Flynn earned a starting job, and obviously Seattle did as well before Carroll went on his little insanity run.

Right.

For the first time Seattle is seeing how Flynn is playing and they are giving Wilson a chance.

What does that say?

Cassel wasnt given the job at NE, he earned. He beat out the other players and was the last player kept on the team. Im not dismissing anything. Im saying that Flynn still is unproven and should have to actually win the starting job.

The numbers were merely to show how little he actually played, nothing more, nothing less.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
Right.

For the first time Seattle is seeing how Flynn is playing and they are giving Wilson a chance.

What does that say?

Cassel wasnt given the job at NE, he earned. He beat out the other players and was the last player kept on the team. Im not dismissing anything. Im saying that Flynn still is unproven and should have to actually win the starting job.

The numbers were merely to show how little he actually played, nothing more, nothing less.

Carroll is inept

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 12:25 PM)
I mentioned Cassel yesterday and blanked on him today. Like I said there are exceptions.

Cam Newton started for a junior college, thats why he played more than 1 year.

http://www.njcaa.org/colleges_college_play...easonselect=459

So that is 2 years of starting.

Well s***, just pull the film from high school, junior high, and grade school now while we're at it.

Forget the two monster performances as a starter in the NFL, I need to see what this kid did for the Tyler, Texas torpedoes in 1992!

Sanchez was drafted 5th overall.

Flynn was drafted 7th round.

Its not comparable if you are talking about a player who NFL scouts originally considered good.

Im pretty done with this argument, I really dont care about the Seahawks and we arent talking about a guy who was a first round pick. Its a 7th round pick, who has played 3 games in the NFL.

If that is enough experience for you to say he should be the starter no questions asked, great. If its not enough, great. Either way its an opinion and there is no right or wrong.

Opinions can be wrong, I hate that idiom.

edit: maybe it's better to say that they can be completely unsupported, unjustified, contradictory to known facts, etc. but someone can still irrationally believe that Tim Tebow is the best QB ever. I don't know if they're "wrong" or just dumb.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 04:12 PM)
Opinions can be wrong, I hate that idiom.

edit: maybe it's better to say that they can be completely unsupported, unjustified, contradictory to known facts, etc. but someone can still irrationally believe that Tim Tebow is the best QB ever. I don't know if they're "wrong" or just dumb.

Strangely, that question appears on the ESPN employment application...

Really strange last 2 posts.

The only reason people ever post on a message board is because something interests them. I just found it interesting how many people were seemingly fine with Flynn being anointed the starter.

I would have thought it was much closer to 50/50, but who knows.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 04:47 PM)
If a standard autopsy could check for the kinds of deterioration that has been established for other NFL players, why do they send off for the more detailed analysis?

The media reports don't clarify on this, unfortunately. Does not finding these signs on the initial autopsy mean it's likely he didn't have brain damage, or does it just mean that further investigation is needed because it's unlikely to see this in an initial autopsy?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 05:50 PM)
The media reports don't clarify on this, unfortunately. Does not finding these signs on the initial autopsy mean it's likely he didn't have brain damage, or does it just mean that further investigation is needed because it's unlikely to see this in an initial autopsy?

I'd assume it's the latter, otherwise there'd be no reason to send brains off for additional testing.

I didn't see a fantasy thread, so as not to derail, just a quick question. Is there a place for fantasy football, like with baseball prospectus, where you can pay for a draft kit where you put in the scoring for your league and they shoot out your best value? My leagues scoring is kinda weird.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 04:47 PM)
If a standard autopsy could check for the kinds of deterioration that has been established for other NFL players, why do they send off for the more detailed analysis?

Pretty sure any suspected deaths resulting from deterioration are being sent to NIH or Boston to be part of their studies.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)
Really strange last 2 posts.

The only reason people ever post on a message board is because something interests them. I just found it interesting how many people were seemingly fine with Flynn being anointed the starter.

I would have thought it was much closer to 50/50, but who knows.

Its obvious the Wisconsin ties brought you in, but that happens to everyone who is on this board, its no different.

And I thought Wilson would have a great shot at starting out of the draft, what he did in a short time at Wisconsin was pretty amazing, especially given the new system, the run-happy offense, the horrible head coach (LOL), and still playing pro baseball.