THIS DATE IN WHITE SOX HISTORY: FEB. 8TH

StatManDu

EL CABALLO IN THE STABLE

1994: The White Sox signed 17-year old Panamanian Carlos Lee as a free agent. White Sox Panamanian and Central American scout Miguel Ibarra recommended and signed Lee and it turned out to be a great move. While he struggled to find a position, Lee’s offensive numbers in the minors were so good that his defensive deficiencies were overlooked. Lee served notice from the beginning of his big league career that he would be an offensive force. On May 7, 1999, Lee became the first player in White Sox history to homer in his first big league at bat when he victimized Oakland’s Tom Candiotti at Comiskey Park. Lee was a staple in the Sox lineup through the 2004 season, hitting 152 home runs. That total ranked ninth in Sox annals when he was dealt to Milwaukee on Dec. 14, 2004 for outfielder Scott Podsednik and pitcher Luis Vizcaino. It was that trade that played a major role in the White Sox winning the 2005 World Series.

I tweet about White Sox history, facts and oddities at @DaveMarran ... no money to be made or products to push. I just enjoy it! ... I am currently giving a unique Sox-centric countdown to the start of spring training