Bustering the Pet Thread

Texsox

The pet thread has me thinking, I can't think of any other animal that keeps pets. We lavish $$$ on these animals. Imagine a commercial with a puppy scavenging through dumpsters, coughing, shivering from the cold. Yeah, I want to take that puppy home, and so do most of you. Now shoot the same commercial with a human scavenging through a dumpster, coughing, shivering from the cold. Not even close to the same emotion.

How did dogs, and cats, and ferrets, gerbils, fish, etc gain that position? I find it an amazing quirk of human nature. Perhaps it is deep in our genetics. A primitive man huddled in a cave, worrying about a pack of wild dogs, thinking how safe he would be if he could command the dogs to help, not kill him. Our pets have gained a spot in our lives where we will sacrifice our own comfort and food for them.

Maybe we could end human hunger if the homeless could be more like that puppy.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
AFAIK dogs wouldn't exist without humans. They were domesticated wolves that slowly diverged.

And they're a very good compliment to human's weaknesses. We're not very good with sense of smell, but they are, while we help give them the ability to bring down larger prey through tool usage.

First, there are many examples of animals raising babies of another species or animals befriending animals of another species. It's not normal, but it does happen. There are also countless examples of symbiotic relationships in nature. Animals that feel safe being around each other can and will work together.

The reason humans take on animals as pets is simply because we have the means to do it. If other creatures lived in a world where survival was not an issue everyday, they'd have pets.

Our reaction to puppies and kittens is the same as we have for children. It's a physical reaction based on what we perceived as being "cute and helpless". But I think the perception that we care about animals more than humans isn't really true. Dogs, cats and other animals are routinely abused, starved, beaten, used for fighting, etc. There are people who don't care about animals, and others that don't care about people. However, it is easier to help an animal than human. If a dog is abused you can adopt it. If a child is abused...it's complicated. That feeling causes desensitization.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 07:51 AM)
First, there are many examples of animals raising babies of another species or animals befriending animals of another species. It's not normal, but it does happen. There are also countless examples of symbiotic relationships in nature. Animals that feel safe being around each other can and will work together.

The reason humans take on animals as pets is simply because we have the means to do it. If other creatures lived in a world where survival was not an issue everyday, they'd have pets.

Our reaction to puppies and kittens is the same as we have for children. It's a physical reaction based on what we perceived as being "cute and helpless". But I think the perception that we care about animals more than humans isn't really true. Dogs, cats and other animals are routinely abused, starved, beaten, used for fighting, etc. There are people who don't care about animals, and others that don't care about people. However, it is easier to help an animal than human. If a dog is abused you can adopt it. If a child is abused...it's complicated. That feeling causes desensitization.

I'll be perfectly honest with you, Tex is right on in describing me...I see homeless people standing in the intersection asking for money or food or booze or smokes all the time, and while I will give them money from time to time, if there was a stray dog in that same intersection, the percentage of time I would stop would be exponentially higher. When I see a homeless person WITH a dog, I will give that homeless person money more often BECAUSE he has a dog (and it is my belief that it is no accident that some homeless people have a dog).

There is something to the idea, for me, at least, that humans have the capacity to help themselves much more easily than an animal does. Not that an animal has no capacity to survive, as some are quite ingenious at doing so, and not that some humans really haven't just been dealt a horrible hand in life, but put one of each next to one another, and I would most likely help the animal.

Even when I'm watching a movie I have stronger emotions towards an animal protagonist (I am not sure whether I can watch the movie Warhorse) than a human one.

<!--quoteo(post=2546745:date=Feb 9, 2012 -> 07:51 AM:name=G&T)-->

<!--quotec-->First, there are many examples of animals raising babies of another species or animals befriending animals of another species. It's not normal, but it does happen. There are also countless examples of symbiotic relationships in nature. Animals that feel safe being around each other can and will work together.

This is possibly the most adorable thing I've ever seen:

Edited by StrangeSox

First, there are many examples of animals raising babies of another species or animals befriending animals of another species.

Good point. I hadn't really thought about that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 09:01 AM)
I'll be perfectly honest with you, Tex is right on in describing me...I see homeless people standing in the intersection asking for money or food or booze or smokes all the time, and while I will give them money from time to time, if there was a stray dog in that same intersection, the percentage of time I would stop would be exponentially higher. When I see a homeless person WITH a dog, I will give that homeless person money more often BECAUSE he has a dog (and it is my belief that it is no accident that some homeless people have a dog).

There is something to the idea, for me, at least, that humans have the capacity to help themselves much more easily than an animal does. Not that an animal has no capacity to survive, as some are quite ingenious at doing so, and not that some humans really haven't just been dealt a horrible hand in life, but put one of each next to one another, and I would most likely help the animal.

Even when I'm watching a movie I have stronger emotions towards an animal protagonist (I am not sure whether I can watch the movie Warhorse) than a human one.

I think he's right in describing many people and there is evolutionary rationale for the reaction. It is a function of society that we feel that either people can help themselves if they choose, or that individually we cannot help another person because of rules and laws that are in place. However, if you saw a child on a street corner alone and clearly helpless you would call the police. Dogs and cats have been bred to feed into that emotion by their appearance and demeanor.

Would you have the same reaction if a homeless person had a pet racoon? Or would you laugh like I am just thinking about it.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
"homeless kitty" in my neighborhood -- "hey kitty kitty"

homeless person in my neighborhood -- "9-1-1 operator, what is your emergency?"

You don't give the homeless person a bowl of milk and some yarn to swat?

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
I think he's right in describing many people and there is evolutionary rationale for the reaction. It is a function of society that we feel that either people can help themselves if they choose, or that individually we cannot help another person because of rules and laws that are in place. However, if you saw a child on a street corner alone and clearly helpless you would call the police. Dogs and cats have been bred to feed into that emotion by their appearance and demeanor.

Would you have the same reaction if a homeless person had a pet racoon? Or would you laugh like I am just thinking about it.

Well, I admit I am a huge dog lover so dogs would elicit the most compassion from me, but a homeless person with any animal would probably make me feel more compelled to help them.

If I had to choose between helping a human baby or a canine puppy I would probably help the puppy. :)

Even though I consider myself more of a dog than cat person, I realize I will help a cat before a dog. A stray dog, especially a larger breed, makes me nervous, while a cat seems less of a potential harm. And perhaps that is also why I am probably kinder to stray cats than the homeless.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
Even though I consider myself more of a dog than cat person, I realize I will help a cat before a dog. A stray dog, especially a larger breed, makes me nervous, while a cat seems less of a potential harm. And perhaps that is also why I am probably kinder to stray cats than the homeless.

Cats carry all sorts of terrible diseases.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
And a feral cat can be far more apt to injure you than a stray dog...

That hasn't been my experience (if we are just talking about common cats), not mountain lions, etc. I have had dogs snap at me but cats will usually run away or at least hiss. I have had a couple dogs charge me for no apparent reason.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
That hasn't been my experience (if we are just talking about common cats), not mountain lions, etc. I have had dogs snap at me but cats will usually run away or at least hiss. I have had a couple dogs charge me for no apparent reason.

I was thinking more or less after you had them in your possession or whatever.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 11:23 AM)

Then I agree. I have had a couple biter cats. They will be purring, enjoying a nice back rub and *snap* they are biting my hand. And I've had some nasty scratches from wresting with them.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)

After volunteering at the humane society out here, I have seen all sorts of stuff. And I only do it once a month now, my wife is an adoption coordinator and does something there almost every day. He was right that stray cats are likely to be more diseased or fleas and such than dogs. But you are also right to beware the bigger breeds as they tend to be more aggressive after they have been out on their own for a while. Someone stated earlier my belief that for the most part we feel that people can, or at least have an opportunity to care for themselves to a degree that animals just don't have.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 11:23 AM)

Why would you bring a stray cat into your possession? Any stray animal can be carrying a host of diseases. I'm sure if you decided to wrap up a stray dog and it bit you, that bite would be worse than the cat's. Cats are very careful creatures, the chances of catching a stray one are pretty remote.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 11:30 AM)
Then I agree. I have had a couple biter cats. They will be purring, enjoying a nice back rub and *snap* they are biting my hand. And I've had some nasty scratches from wresting with them.

Cats will normally give warning. They get their fill, stop messing with them. Also, if you get nasty scratches from wrestling cats, maybe you should stop all the backyard cat wrastlin'.

As for the question at hand. Cats and dogs are, for the most part, meant to be domesticated. For generations they've been raised in captivity, and when you see a stray, it's sad. They don't have the same instincts as say wolves and rabbits to fend for themselves (at least, to my understanding).

Sure, they can survive, and I know there are cats out there who do a fine job living outdoors without human help (I don't know about dogs, not saying they don't), but they have been domesticated over the years and fending for themselves is something you don't expect.

I see a homeless guy and I just assume he's a whackjob, or he boozed himself out of house and home. I am certain that I am wrong at LEAST 87% of the time, but that's what I assume. Also, cats and dogs might attack, but they likely won't have knives and they certainly don't have the cognitive ability of a crazed, drunken, homeless human!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)
Why would you bring a stray cat into your possession? Any stray animal can be carrying a host of diseases. I'm sure if you decided to wrap up a stray dog and it bit you, that bite would be worse than the cat's. Cats are very careful creatures, the chances of catching a stray one are pretty remote.

Cats will normally give warning. They get their fill, stop messing with them. Also, if you get nasty scratches from wrestling cats, maybe you should stop all the backyard cat wrastlin'.

The biters where two from the same litter I had since they were kittens. Literally they would be purring, stretched out and then snap with the bite. Some sort of learned behavior from their littermates or momma.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
The biters where two from the same litter I had since they were kittens. Literally they would be purring, stretched out and then snap with the bite. Some sort of learned behavior from their littermates or momma.

Cats can be real shifty f***ers, that's for sure.

A dog looks at people and thinks, they bring me food, take care of me, pet me, give me this nice house to live in, they must be Gods.

A cat looks at people and thinks, they bring me food, take care of me, pet me, give me this nice house to live in, I must be God.