witesoxfan

Pearl Jam  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like?

• Yes
    • Sorta
    • Maybe
    • Not no
    • (wite's middle finger for choosing this one)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 08:39 AM)
I'd have to see a list to say for sure if I'd put it at #1. My point was, there is a big difference between best rock albums of the 90's, versus all time. I don't think Ten belongs on the all time one, but they are certainly on the 90's list, in my view.

100 Greatest Rock Albums of the 90's

1. Nevermind - Nirvana (1991)

2. Ten - Pearl Jam (1991)

3. Ok Computer - Radiohead (1997)

4. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - Lauryn Hill (1998)

5. Automatic For The People - R.E.M. (1992)

6. Achtung Baby - U2 (1991)

7. The Chronic - Dr. Dre (1992)

8. Metallica (a.k.a. The Black Album) - Metallica (1991)

9. Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morissette (1995)

10. Dookie - Green Day (1994)

11. Blood Sugar Sex Magik - Red Hot Chili Peppers (1991)

12. (What's the Story) Morning Glory - Oasis (1995)

13. Ready To Die - Notorious B.I.G. (1994)

14. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins (1995)

15. Downward Spiral - Nine Inch Nails (1994)

16. The Score - Fugees (1996)

17. Superunknown - Soundgarden (1994)

18. CrazySexyCool - TLC (1994)

19. Illmatic - Nas (1994)

20. The Low End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest (1991)

21. In Utero - Nirvana (1993)

22. Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine (1992)

23. Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins (1993)

24. Out of Time - R.E.M. (1991)

25. Dirt - Alice In Chains (1992)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)

Ten is definitely up there on that list, for me.

Doing a quick scan of albums published in the 90's in my iTunes (and excluding anything not somehow rock/alt/metal/pop), some other albums I might put near or even ahead of Ten (not necessarily in order):

RHCP: BloodSugarSexMagik

Seal (I)

Soundgarden: Badmotorfinger

Toad the Wet Sprocket: Fea

Alice in Chains: Dirt

Alice in Chains: Jar of Flies

Live: Throwing Copper

Tool: Aenima

VAST (I)

Ten would be, for me, mixed somewhere into that group. Not sure where, or what order I'd put them all in.

Just my opinion.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 09:01 AM)
Ten is definitely up there on that list, for me.

Doing a quick scan of albums published in the 90's in my iTunes (and excluding anything not somehow rock/alt/metal/pop), some other albums I might put near or even ahead of Ten (not necessarily in order):

RHCP: BloodSugarSexMagik

Seal (I)

Soundgarden: Badmotorfinger

Toad the Wet Sprocket: Fea

Alice in Chains: Dirt

Alice in Chains: Jar of Flies

Live: Throwing Copper

Tool: Aenima

VAST (I)

Ten would be, for me, mixed somewhere into that group. Not sure where, or what order I'd put them all in.

Just my opinion.

Yeah, that's fair. Music is a very subjective thing and I don't think you can tell someone what their opinion should be in regards to what they think is best.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 09:38 AM)
Belongs?

It is the #2 rock album of the 90's, probably behind Nevermind, and that is heavily influenced by the fact that Kurt Cobain committed suicide.

Like it or not, whenever an artist or public figure tragically dies young, suddenly their work becomes more and more acclaimed than while they were living.

Imagine if Eddie Vedder had blown his brains out after Vitalogy...

At least for me, the big thing about Nevermind was that it got to the charts before 10 did, not because of what the lead singer did.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 10:07 AM)
At least for me, the big thing about Nevermind was that it got to the charts before 10 did, not because of what the lead singer did.

Yeah, Nevermind was definitely the first of the two albums to really get crazy popular. However, Ten had a sloooow and steady rise and by Feb of 1993 had surpassed Nevermind in sales.

I don't really see the fact that Nevermind sold more quickly as a huge point in its favor.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 10:15 AM)
I don't really see the fact that Nevermind sold more quickly as a huge point in its favor.

The real question is whether 10 achieved the kind of success that it did if it weren't for Smells Like Teen Spirit already being on the radio/TV.

In my opinion "Ten" is superior to "Nevermind", but I'm never been sold on Nirvana being as great as many made them out to be. I think AIC's "Dirt" is better then either. In my opinion tho, the best album of the 90's is Bob Dylan's "Time Out of Mind" followed closely by Neil Young/Crazy Horse's "Ragged Glory".

Ah, some good discussion here. Being 38 years old, I really started enjoying music more in the 90's. I thought, and pretty much still think, that most of the music in the 80's sucked. So, I became quite a fan of bands like Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, etc.

As far as Pearl Jam goes, I voted yes, but I'm not nearly the fan you are wite. I'll admit to not being very familiar with their most recent stuff, and I did not care much for No Code...maybe that's when I stopped listening to them as much. My favorite album of theirs is Vs. So many people, my wife included, claim that Ten is their best album. I think their music is much better on Vs. and there are parts of Vitalogy I think are better. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy Ten, but I would put Vs. in the CD player (or on my iPod, since it's 2012) any day.

I personally think Vitalogy is an excellent album, and I remember how many people didn't like it when it first came out. Essentially because it didn't sound like Ten or Vs. But, Spin the Black Circle, Tremor Christ, Corduroy, Bugs, Satan's Bed, Aye Davanita, and Better Man are some of my favorite Pearl Jam songs.

I also like Yield a lot. Brain of J, in my opinion, is one of their best songs.

Okay, no I have to go download a bunch of songs...thanks.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)
Well, I think this is age relative, to be honest.

I can understand how one could make an argument for any of those albums, I suppose, and I obviously cannot say that anyone's opinion is incorrect.

I think you would face quite a bit of opposition, however, if you stated that Ten did not belong on a list of the best rock albums of all time.

If we are talking a list of the top 100 rock albums of all time, I would have no qualms with "Ten" being on there. If were talking top 10, 25, or even 50 I would strongly disagree.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 07:57 AM)
Anybody that has "Ten" as a top ten album, needs a lesson in music history. I wouldn't even put it in the top ten albums of the '90s.

Oh get the f*** over yourself. This is why all music discussions are inherently stupid. People like what they like, and saying something as ridiculously offputting as you did above makes me want to find you and punch you in the nose. Who are you to say what other people should enjoy when it comes to music?

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)
In my opinion "Ten" is superior to "Nevermind", but I'm never been sold on Nirvana being as great as many made them out to be. I think AIC's "Dirt" is better then either. In my opinion tho, the best album of the 90's is Bob Dylan's "Time Out of Mind" followed closely by Neil Young/Crazy Horse's "Ragged Glory".

Your complete neglect of "Superunknown" and "Badmotorfinger" also makes me want to punch you. Entirely agreed on "Dirt" though. What a great album.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
Oh get the f*** over yourself. This is why all music discussions are inherently stupid. People like what they like, and saying something as ridiculously offputting as you did above makes me want to find you and punch you in the nose. Who are you to say what other people should enjoy when it comes to music?

I am actually on board with Steve here. This subject is totally subjective.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)
Your complete neglect of "Superunknown" and "Badmotorfinger" also makes me want to punch you. Entirely agreed on "Dirt" though. What a great album.

I don't give a crap what other people like, it don't matter to me one bit. But there are certain things that in music that are just facts. Its a fact that Bob Dylan is a more imporant artist then Nickleback, its a fact that Highway 61 Revisited changed music as we know it, its a fact that Jimi Hendrix completely reimagined the electric guitar in ways that had never been thought of. People's opinions are their opinions and thats fine, but there is a difference between saying an album is one of your top ten albums and saying its one of the top ten albums ever period.

Also I didn't purposely neglect Superunknown and Badmotorfinger, there both killer albums and I would take either one over anything Nirvana ever did. As far as Seattle "Grunge" bands go, my opinion is AIC, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam then Nirvana.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa