witesoxfan

Pearl Jam  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like?

• Yes
    • Sorta
    • Maybe
    • Not no
    • (wite's middle finger for choosing this one)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And now that I read this thread, LZ Physical Graffiti as their best album? Thats pretty controversial, personally I think the top tier of albums is 2 through Holy, then I and Physical.

And even then I cant say which one is my top because it depends on the day, my mood and what intoxication.

Also interesting to go with Dark Side as the top Pink Floyd record, because based on that I would have thought youd go with IV for LZ (both being the most commercially successful album). There is really no wrong choice with Pink Floyd, Dark Side, Animals, Wall all could be there, you could even argue Meddle and the song "One of these days" really is the starting point for their entire style.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
I would have gone: Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden (of those listed).

Black Hole Sun being played a million times on MTV didnt really help their case.

*Soundgarden

And yeah, that's one of the worst songs, too. Really, listen to some albums if you want to fall in love. Badmotorfinger, Superunknown, and Down on the Upside. You will love.

Pearl Jam would be in my top 3 bands of all time, perhaps even #1. Eddie Vedder is doing a solo tour again this year, but it's not coming anywhere here, so I got tickets to the Orlando show. This past summer was actually my first time seeing Eddie Vedder doing his solo show, and Pearl Jam later on at Alpine Valley for their 20th Anniversary show. Nirvana was my thing in middle school, right up until I got my first Pearl Jam album (Binaural). I realized how inferior Nirvana was to Pearl Jam, andNevermind was never played again in my car or house.

Nirvana-wise, I thought In Utero was miles better than Nevermind anyway. The

The lyrics of Nirvana when compared to those of Pearl Jam is akin to watching a soapbox racing the speed of light.

p.s. Another band hailing from Seattle, Alice in Chains; is probably the second best thing to come out of that city. If I could bring back one dead musician for one show, it would be Layne Staley. Music lost a great talent with his death.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

I still rock out to every PJ album there has been, with the exception of one political abomination (Riot Act).

IMO, Yield was still possibly my favorite offering of them (its too easy for people to say 'The best was Vs or Ten')

Binaural was fantastic, one a lot of folks didn't like, and IMO Backspacer has been very solid.

Hmm, for me its:

1a - Alice in Chains

1b - Pearl Jam

2 - Soundgarden

3 - Nirvana

Thank god Dave Grohl came out of Nirvana, else honestly, I coulda survived without them. Soundgarden, man if people base their stuff off of Black Hole Sun, you REALLY need to give other stuff like Slaves and Bulldozers/Four Walled World/All Night Thing a chance

Layne was gone FAR too soon, I still can sit and listen to AIC for hours.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 09:16 PM)
Nirvana-wise, I thought In Utero (and was miles better than Nevermind anyway.

In Utero is, and always will be, one of my top five favorite albums of all time (

is one of my favorite alt rock songs of all time), and while Nevermind was very important at the time, it really doesn't even come close to the quality that In Utero was. In Utero was a much more raw, untamed sound while Nevermind felt too almost polished (especially in relation to modern music now).

I'm a much bigger Nirvana fan than Pearl Jam, but some of that is for sentimental reasons. I'm pretty lukewarm on Pearl Jam aside from Ten (which is excellent), but admittedly I haven't fully delved into their work. I've never had much motivation to do so, for one reason or another.

edit: Going back and reading through some of this thread, In Utero is a superior album to both Nevermind AND Ten. Just saying :P

edit2:

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
And basically after Cobain died and Foo Fighters went pop, I started to listen mainly to rap.

I never thought I'd say this to a Badger fan, but holy s*** yes. Foo Fighters f***ing suck these days. I was never a huge fan in the first place, but they're borderline unlistenable and have been for a little while. Self-titled was very good, but it's been a steady downhill since.

And I'm saying this as someone that loves Dave Grohl (especially as a drummer). Foo Fighters are just incredibly boring to listen to.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 08:38 AM)
Like it or not, whenever an artist or public figure tragically dies young, suddenly their work becomes more and more acclaimed than while they were living.

Didn't work out that way for Layne Staley. CNN was so gracious that they devoted a few words on the ticker at the bottom of the screen. I think it was something along the lines of "Len Stanley, singer of the death metal band Alice in Wonderland was discovered dead".

"...admittedly I haven't fully delved into their work. I've never had much motivation to do so..."

If you like acoustic sets, Mtv Unplugged or Live at Benaroya Hall are good starting points.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 10:14 PM)
If you like acoustic sets, Mtv Unplugged or Live at Benaroya Hall are good starting points.

Like I said, I'm not really motivated to do so. There's plenty of other music I'm more inclined to dive into for one reason or another. I certainly don't dislike Pearl Jam, but they've never really grabbed me. Ten is an excellent rock album (although inferior to In Utero in every way, shape and form), but listening to it doesn't make me want to go on a massive Pearl Jam binge.

Now if you don't mind me, I'll go back to listening to one of the more criminally underrated albums of the 90s.

Count me among the group that could listen to Eddie Vedder sing just about anything. I even like that Cubs song he sings. Ten is one of those albums that I don't think has a bad song.

PJ is great in concert, too. I was at Lollapalooza in '92 at Alpine Valley. A month or so ago I was watching that concert on Youtube - reliving my youth. I saw them there again in '97 or '98.

Pearl Jam is my 2nd favorite band close behind Soundgaren. I definitely recommend Cameron Crowe's documentary PJ20 to anyone who's a fan or hasnt seen it yet

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)
Meh, give me Soundgarden or Chains. Pearl Jam blows.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 02:07 PM)
Give me Pearl Jam and Chains. Soundgarden blows.

It is funny how music does that.

Give me Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. AiC blows. I cant stand Staley's vocals

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
I went with sorta. Not a huge fan. Also, I'm convinced there are no lyrics to Pearl Jam songs. Eddie Vedder just makes sounds instead of singing actual words.

Compared to Chris Cornell, who some may argue is the better singer of the Seattle bunch, I find him harder to understand his lyrics as opposed to Vedder's

Saw PJ20 last summer. The thing I dislike about them is with their library of music they seem to strive to play s*** people do not know. Then Cornell comes out for what seemed like an eternity....

Yield is a great album.

AiC would have been just as big as PJ if they could have stayed around. Kind of like the GnR although I hear GnR is actually very good in concert nowadays if you can stay awake until 2 in the morning for the start of the show.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 04:18 PM)
And now that I read this thread, LZ Physical Graffiti as their best album? Thats pretty controversial, personally I think the top tier of albums is 2 through Holy, then I and Physical.

And even then I cant say which one is my top because it depends on the day, my mood and what intoxication.

Also interesting to go with Dark Side as the top Pink Floyd record, because based on that I would have thought youd go with IV for LZ (both being the most commercially successful album). There is really no wrong choice with Pink Floyd, Dark Side, Animals, Wall all could be there, you could even argue Meddle and the song "One of these days" really is the starting point for their entire style.

I agree totally about DSOTM. I just listed that cause thats what most people rank as the highest. Personally I like Wish You Were Here or Animals as my favorite. Meddle is up there too. Any album with Echoes and Fearless on it would have to be ranked high. I think Fearless is probably my favorite Floyd song.