Kept off the ballot for not speaking English

Texsox

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/08/arizo...?iref=obnetwork

A woman trying to run for the San Luis, Arizona, City Council will not appear on the ballot after the Arizona Supreme Court upheld a ruling that her English was not good enough.

Alejandrina Cabrera has been locked in a political battle regarding her proficiency in the English language. But her story is more than a local election dispute, with possibly widespread implications in a country that prides itself as a melting pot.

In the border town of San Luis, 87% of residents speak a language other than English in their homes, and 98.7% are of Hispanic origin, according to 2010 U.S. census data. Most of the people there, by all accounts, speak both English and Spanish.

I have always advocated for letting the voters decide.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 12, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)
I have always advocated for letting the voters decide.

Presumably this law in Arizona was passed by politicians who were elected themselves, correct? And they weren't replaced after passing this law? Thus, having english speaking candidates only in that state is in fact the decision of the voters.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 12, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
Presumably this law in Arizona was passed by politicians who were elected themselves, correct? And they weren't replaced after passing this law? Thus, having english speaking candidates only in that state is in fact the decision of the voters.

I thought of that, and it is a good point. The counter is that statewide politicians are making laws for local elections. I'm not a fan of that, same as I'm not a fan of federal laws governing state elections.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Feb 12, 2012 -> 06:35 PM)
Isn't there a certain level of English proficiency required to become a citizen? If she can't speak good enough to run, how the hell did she speak good enough to become legal?

She might be able to speak well enough to be understood. Perhaps it's an Ozzie Guillen situation where she has a strong accent and the politicians are just being dicks about it.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Feb 12, 2012 -> 06:35 PM)
Isn't there a certain level of English proficiency required to become a citizen? If she can't speak good enough to run, how the hell did she speak good enough to become legal?

This community sits on the border and is largely spanish-speaking. It's entirely plausible that she's a natural born citizen who hasn't needed english.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Feb 12, 2012 -> 05:35 PM)

She was born in the US and lives in a community where 87% of the people speak a language other than English.

I guess we could write a law that anyone born in the US must speak English or give up their citizenship.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 05:29 AM)
In order to write laws in English you have to be fluent in it.

I doubt that the official writes the laws, in most cases they hire an attorney or have one on staff.