Happy Valentin's

StatManDu

No Jose Valentin scouting report would be complete without mentioning that Juan Uribe caliber, absolutely howitzer of an arm. Good base runner too with good technique and instincts, despite just above average speed.

Loved his tools, hard-nosedness, and of course the stache under that hard-nose. One of my favorite players of that era.

Just took another look at his stats. I think people forget about just how much pop he had for a shortstop -- 249 career HRs; 25, 28, 25, 28, 30 in his five years with the Sox of the non-Carmine variety. Of course, he started out with a .273 BA in his first year and we watched it decline by 10-20 points each and every year of his tenure.

But, OMG that iron glove. And it certainly SEEMS from hindsight that those doinks would invariably happen late inning in true game situations (of course, with the pure number of E's, some would had to have happened then).

Happy Valentin's Day to all Sox fans!

Edited by CyAcosta41

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 09:33 AM)
No Jose Valentin scouting report would be complete without mentioning that Juan Uribe caliber, absolutely howitzer of an arm. Good base runner too with good technique and instincts, despite just above average speed.

Loved his tools, hard-nosedness, and of course the stache under that hard-nose. One of my favorite players of that era.

Just took another look at his stats. I think people forget about just how much pop he had for a shortstop -- 249 career HRs; 25, 28, 25, 28, 30 in his five years with the Sox of the non-Carmine variety. Of course, he started out with a .273 BA in his first year and we watched it decline by 10-20 points each and every year of his tenure.

But, OMG that iron glove. And it certainly SEEMS from hindsight that those doinks would invariably happen late inning in true game situations (of course, with the pure number of E's, some would had to have happened then).

Happy Valentin's Day to all Sox fans!

Unfortunately, this game is one of my lasting memories of Valentin. Pedro was being Pedro, but Mike Sirotka hung in there but lost 1-0 because Jose threw a routine grounder over Paulie's head.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
Unfortunately, this game is one of my lasting memories of Valentin. Pedro was being Pedro, but Mike Sirotka hung in there but lost 1-0 because Jose threw a routine grounder over Paulie's head.

Man, thinking back on that, the heart of that lineup was impressive. Too bad they disappeared in the playoffs.