Sox sign Kosuke Fukudome

southsider2k5

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't trade Lillibridge. I don't think KW will. He spoke praises for Lillibridge after he traded for him. Seems like a player that KW loves. However with KW, you never know.

Also, Lillibridge doesn't cost that much and while a lot of teams are interested I don't see us getting a lot back for him. And Lillibridge deserves more playing time to see how well he performs. And since Lillibridge can play so many different positions, it would hurt us to trade him.

Edited by sunofgold

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)
I wouldn't trade Lillibridge. I don't think KW will. He spoke praises for Lillibridge after he traded for him. Seems like a player that KW loves. However with KW, you never know.

Also, Lillibridge doesn't cost that much and while a lot of teams are interested I don't see us getting a lot back for him. And Lillibridge deserves more playing time to see how well he performs. And since Lillibridge can play so many different positions, it would hurt us to trade him.

Hell, if someone's going to give up a quality starting pitching prospect for a guy who might well just be a backup and who starts hitting arbitration soon, whatever, I'm game.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 11:36 AM)
Lillibridge could start at 2b for this team. Build up his value that way for half a year and maybe he's traded, maybe he just sticks here as cheap labor.

While Beckham's defense could entice teams, I just don't see us trading him anytime soon. Once you held onto him during AGon negotiations, you pretty much anchored yourself to him. Trading him now for a prospect would be an admission of failure.

So you can experiment with Lilli since he's been trending upwards. It doesn't hurt you to sit Gordon. You could say it hurts Gordon's development, but how long do we want to say that? Sample sizes are growing.

Benching Gordo doesn't hurt his value or admit failure?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 12:15 PM)
Benching Gordo doesn't hurt his value or admit failure?

I wouldn't bench Beckham. Play him or trade him. Hope that he corrects his hitting woes. If not, there might be a team out there that thinks that they can correct him and he does play stellar defense.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
I wouldn't bench Beckham. Play him or trade him. Hope that he corrects his hitting woes. If not, there might be a team out there that thinks that they can correct him and he does play stellar defense.

Play him the whole year no matter how bad he looks. If he hits like he did last year, he'll be non-tendered and Saladino, Lillibridge, Kuhn, and whoever else wants to can fight for the 2b slot.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 11:43 AM)
Interesting. Pretty good value, depth move. But I can't really get excited since it is highly likely that this will be a pretty poor season. I really hope Dunn, Rios, and Beckham kick some ass early in the season (along with our other guys playing consistent with there historical production) and than maybe I could get a little excited. Who am I kidding, even than we'd need Sale and others to be above average from the get-go too.

As a guy who is usually an optimist, I just can't be very optimistic about this team.

Agree I cannot see this team winning more than 72 games tops.

Pros: Great glove, draws walks, history of starting out hot, nice cheap depth move

Cons: Can't hit LH pitching at all, needs consistent at bats to be productive/not a great platoon player, 35 years old.

Overall more of a depth signing and maybe more of a late inning defensive replacement then anything. Can draw walks very well but to be honest I wouldn't expect much.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
As a guy who is usually an optimist, I just can't be very optimistic about this team.

I'm optimistic, but unlike other years, if this team takes a dump from the get-go then I'll concede to the cynics. There's still a good chance that those players you listed have good seasons. And while I'm not holding my breath, I could see Danks and Peavy being a solid 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation. Tank steps up, De Aza provides a spark, Robin speaks English...good things could happen.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 12:45 PM)
Pros: Great glove, draws walks, history of starting out hot, nice cheap depth move

Cons: Can't hit LH pitching at all, needs consistent at bats to be productive/not a great platoon player, 35 years old.

Overall more of a depth signing and maybe more of a late inning defensive replacement then anything. Can draw walks very well but to be honest I wouldn't expect much.

Well we need a bat off the bench that can hit RH hitting. He fits that need. As for consistent playing time, don't most players need that to be at their best? I would think a player who draws a lot of walks would be better in limited action, although that's pure speculation on my part.

The defense is the other key. We now have two backup outfielders that can play quality defense. They bat from opposite sides of the plate, which offers a lot of flexibility late in games (a plus with Viciedo as our RF). Plus it now allows Lillibridge to play more IF.

Overall, I think it's a great move and fills several needs quite well.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)
Well we need a bat off the bench that can hit RH hitting. He fits that need. As for consistent playing time, don't most players need that to be at their best? I would think a player who draws a lot of walks would be better in limited action, although that's pure speculation on my part.

The defense is the other key. We now have two backup outfielders that can play quality defense. They bat from opposite sides of the plate, which offers a lot of flexibility late in games (a plus with Viciedo as our RF). Plus it now allows Lillibridge to play more IF.

Overall, I think it's a great move and fills several needs quite well.

I don't think it's a bad move by any means but I don't think it's a great move either. He's going to be a 4th OF and brings a couple of nice attributes to the Sox but that's where it ends. Anyone looking to catch lightning in a bottle here will most likely be disappointed. I think his biggest plus is his glove, will be nice to have in OF in games where we're up 1 in the 9th. Out of any OF on the team right now, Fukudome has hands down the best glove. However aside from that I'd temper all expectations on him as an impact hitter.

This possibly slightly improves our team. Assuming he would be better than Lillibridge. Which, defensively, I think he's not. I mean, I don't know, it's only $1m (including obvious buy-out).

I'd be pissed if I was Lillibridge. Although, the more I think about it, it does make sense to have something other than Lillibridge to fall back on in case Viciedo or De Aza sucks.

Also, I just want to be the first to say it in the extremely unlikely event that it happens: DOES THIS MEAN HE FOUND A TAKER FOR RIOS?!

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
That is a bold, full of courage stance

There has been nothing really done to improve the team for the 2012 season. Just banking on a different perspective from a manager and multiple concurrent bounce back seasons from three of the nine players in the starting line-up, of which in the other six only one can be counted on day in and day out (Paulie)

Couple that with a rotation top-lined by two maddeningly inconsistent starters throughout their White Sox career, one injury waiting to happen (again) one with just an okay season and one starting for the first time in the bigs.

When I think about that I don't think I'm being too bold... Too much has to go right for this team to even break .500 and I have a hard time seeing it all come together at once.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
There has been nothing really done to improve the team for the 2012 season. Just banking on a different perspective from a manager and multiple concurrent bounce back seasons from three of the nine players in the starting line-up, of which in the other six only one can be counted on day in and day out (Paulie)

Couple that with a rotation top-lined by two maddeningly inconsistent starters throughout their White Sox career, one injury waiting to happen (again) one with just an okay season and one starting for the first time in the bigs.

When I think about that I don't think I'm being too bold... Too much has to go right for this team to even break .500 and I have a hard time seeing it all come together at once.

Still, a 65 win team is 13 wins worse than last year. That's going to take some serious stuff going wrong, like Danks and Konerko both getting hurt.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
I still haven't backed off my thoughts the 2012 Sox could be a 95 loss team.

That may happen if:

Dunn, Rios, and Beckham repeat 2011. Peavy makes 15 starts. Team sucks in first half and they trade Floyd, Thornton, and Crain in July.

For now, I'm optimistic until they give me a concrete reason not to be.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
Play him the whole year no matter how bad he looks. If he hits like he did last year, he'll be non-tendered and Saladino, Lillibridge, Kuhn, and whoever else wants to can fight for the 2b slot.

I want to see what being away from Walker does before I give up on Beckham. Right now, we are even weaker with Lillibridge starting. His value is as a super-sub.

Does this bring us some more fans in Japan? Isn't Fukudome fairly popular in Japan? I liked having Japanese players on our team in the past like Shingo and Iguchi. Usually have been taught good fundamentals (which some of our players lack) and they play hard. Grinders. haha!

And how cannot you like the dude's name..Kosuke Fukudome. I just hope that those karate headbands don't show up from the North.