Sox sign Kosuke Fukudome

southsider2k5

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
Just watched Moneyball this weekend......

I keep thinking of KW sitting in a room acting like Beane coming up with this crazy a@@ signing....

The problem is every offseason he acts like a different GM. Always with a new plan totally contradicting the plan from the prior year.

At least that's the way it has come off in the last five years. Easy to say that perhaps when the L's have piled up.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
I like it. For the price, especially. If Rios or DeAza bomb, he could be a replacement.

Side note: How is his speed on the basepads?

Declining, especially in regards to stolen bases.

2008: 12 SB, 4 CS

2009: 6 SB, 10 CS

2010: 7 SB, 8 CS

2011: 2 SB, 4 CS

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 11:26 AM)
Or he gets traded. Rumor was he was the most sought after player during the winter meetings.

I agree, Lillibridge may get back a decent minor leaguer right now, plus a bench of Fukudome, Martinez, Johnson, and Flowers covers the field and both sides of the plate pretty well.

Lillibridge could start at 2b for this team. Build up his value that way for half a year and maybe he's traded, maybe he just sticks here as cheap labor.

While Beckham's defense could entice teams, I just don't see us trading him anytime soon. Once you held onto him during AGon negotiations, you pretty much anchored yourself to him. Trading him now for a prospect would be an admission of failure.

So you can experiment with Lilli since he's been trending upwards. It doesn't hurt you to sit Gordon. You could say it hurts Gordon's development, but how long do we want to say that? Sample sizes are growing.

Edited by Princess Dye

Interesting. Pretty good value, depth move. But I can't really get excited since it is highly likely that this will be a pretty poor season. I really hope Dunn, Rios, and Beckham kick some ass early in the season (along with our other guys playing consistent with there historical production) and than maybe I could get a little excited. Who am I kidding, even than we'd need Sale and others to be above average from the get-go too.

As a guy who is usually an optimist, I just can't be very optimistic about this team.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 11:36 AM)
Lillibridge could start at 2b for this team. Build up his value that way for half a year and maybe he's traded, maybe he just sticks here as cheap labor.

While Beckham's defense could entice teams, I just don't see us trading him anytime soon. Once you held onto him during AGon negotiations, you pretty much anchored yourself to him. Trading him now for a prospect would be an admission of failure.

So you can experiment with Lilli since he's been trending upwards. It doesn't hurt you to sit Gordon. You could say it hurts Gordon's development, but how long do we want to say that? Sample sizes are growing.

This is Beckham's make it or break it year. Moving Lillibridge into utility IF role would be good. I look at Lillibridge as Beckham's possible replacement.

Fuku is mainly a corner OF, but I like the price and this signing. Also have to look at a possible OF of Fuku, DeAza, and Viciedo. If Rios cannot pull his weight, bench him! Fuku has a career .360 OBP. On the bad side, he strikes out too much and isn't a RBI machine.