Pete Rose back in baseball?

IlliniKrush

"...Floyd lifts one to right field, this one's gonna drop. McEwing will score--wait a minute, Rose holds McEwing at third! He would easily have scored, but for some reason Rose gave him the stop sign. Tom, you really have to question that decision, with two outs, and the tying run almost assured of crossing home plate... Now Rose is whispering something in Joe's ear....did he just slip him a twenty?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

a coach's decision must be above question - at least for financial interests - every time he held a player, or sent a player, or did anything -

he simply can't ever coach or manage again

I hope he and Art Schlichter (spelling, it has been a while) can enjoy watching games from the favorite OTB site though

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way Rose should be allowed into the HOF is if you separate Pete Rose the player from Pete Rose the manager.  His playing stats are certainly worthy and he never, to anyone's knowledge, bet on the game as a player.  If you look at it in that light, then just maybe... empahsis on "maybe"... he should be inducted. 

However, Pete Rose should never be allowed to hold a position of authority in baseball again.  Never a GM, or mananger, or team owner/partner.  Maybe as a batting coach would be ok, but not even as a 3rd base coach.

"...Floyd lifts one to right field, this one's gonna drop. McEwing will score--wait a minute, Rose holds McEwing at third! He would easily have scored, but for some reason Rose gave him the stop sign. Tom, you really have to question that decision, with two outs, and the tying run almost assured of crossing home plate... Now Rose is whispering something to Joe....did he just slip him a twenty?"

That is EXACTLY why I said, and I quote, "not even as a 3rd base coach."

The only way Rose should be allowed into the HOF is if you separate Pete Rose the player from Pete Rose the manager.  His playing stats are certainly worthy and he never, to anyone's knowledge, bet on the game as a player.  If you look at it in that light, then just maybe... empahsis on "maybe"... he should be inducted. 

However, Pete Rose should never be allowed to hold a position of authority in baseball again.  Never a GM, or mananger, or team owner/partner.  Maybe as a batting coach would be ok, but not even as a 3rd base coach.

"...Floyd lifts one to right field, this one's gonna drop. McEwing will score--wait a minute, Rose holds McEwing at third! He would easily have scored, but for some reason Rose gave him the stop sign. Tom, you really have to question that decision, with two outs, and the tying run almost assured of crossing home plate... Now Rose is whispering something to Joe....did he just slip him a twenty?"

That is EXACTLY why I said, and I quote, "not even as a 3rd base coach."

yeh, when you said that it made me think of all the possible scenarios. just playing off of it a little. :snr

i picture rose on a cell phone placing bets while coaching  :lol:

the advent of 21st century technology gives rose all kinds of new ways to get his bets down on the playing field or in the dugout

if you are betting $5,000, press 1

if you are betting $10,000, press 2

if you are telling everyone to swing at the first pitch, press 3

Interesting that you would say this considering that every line I have ever seen closes at the start of a game...at least in baseball. Football, you can bet on halves and quarters but baseball, the line closes at the start of the game.

• 3 months later...

Besides his ultimate crimes against the game and desecration of the spirit of competition (which have been proven BEYOND reasonable doubt and as such render all this talk of reinstatement pointless rubbish), Pete Rose happens to be the EMBODIMENT of athlete-scumbag, a truly conscience-free garbage of a human being. He didn't get a chance to do Danny McLain-type damage, fortunately as Bart got him first.

You people should find yourself better heroes. They are out there.

It says something about a man when the LEAST of his offense is threatening his lackey into consoling his (Rose's) crying wife outside the hotel room where she tracked her own car (which Rose apparently loaned to his 'ho, lol) and trying to convince her that the woman who was in the room was his mistress.......all the while coked up and wasted Rose was banging said 'ho inside, not giving a f*** (no pun intended)......lol

Like I said, least.

How is he getting back in without an apology/admission?

Go back to being a joke, Pete Rose

wm14_rose.jpg

Admission? WTF, everything was admitted to LONG time ago. For the sake of the game, the next comissioner decided not to make the documents/trancript public. Idiot.

Apology? In this case apology doesn't match the crime and should mean NOTHING. In any case, knowing the kind of bull-headed egomaniac Rose is, his "apology", even after nearly 15 years of mulling over, will probably be at once comically insincere, self-aggrandizing and condemnful of MLB, the late Giamatti and his other enemies.

Admission? WTF, everything was admitted to LONG time ago. For the sake of the game, the next comissioner decided not to make the documents/trancript public. Idiot.

Pete Rose and Major League Baseball have reached an agreement that would allow him to return to baseball in 2004, and includes no admission of wrongdoing by Rose, Baseball Prospectus has learned.

I was under the impression that despite the evidence against him, Pete Rose never admitted to doing anything wrong.

Wow this is huge news. Although I think it may be somewhat of PR move by Bud Selig and MLB. It is kind of ridiculous for the career hits leader not to be in The Hall. Plus I think he had alot of support behind him, Rose that is. And He won't make a spectacle of the HOF inductions like he does every year.