A Lot for White Sox to Overcome

DirtySox

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White Sox can win this division by having all of the other teams suck more than us. In theory, you can win a division with a losing record.

Another way..we can overachieve. Last year collectively we underachieved. This year let's hope that we overachieve. We do have some players who could potentially put up some good number. I guess that dreaded word 'potential' comes up. But hope that players like Morel, Flowers, DeAza, and the Tank play in 2012 like they did at the end of 2011 OR maybe even better.

Guess you have to hope. Hope Peavy stays healthy and pitches well, hope Sale pitches well as a starter, hope Humber has a good complete year, hope Danks rebounds from last year and pitches like an ace, how Floyd pitches like a #2 starter, how Beckham hits like it is 2009. etc...

They better hope it's Danks as a #2 and Floyd can at least be a #3.

Sale is the one ultimately who has to be a #1 when all is said and done, and Peavy can overachieve (compared to 2009-11) as the #4 and Humber can even regress a bit at 5 or can be replaced by about 6 minor leaguers in the future if he pitches more like the 2nd half version, which was still quite acceptable for a back end rotation guy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
I'd say that's way too high. Which really bothers me because the last 3 seasons I've been more positive on the team than the consensus (and the final results).

I dunno...for whatever reason, it's always difficult to put back-to-back seasons together in baseball unless you have dominant pitching. The Tigers obviously have Verlander, and Fister and Scherzer have the potential to be above-average 2nd and 3rd's, but I'm not shaking in my boots just yet. I am one of the more optimistic fans, but I think the bounce back potential for our team, combined with some Robin magic might put us in a spot most don't expect.

As I posted earlier, the odds aren't great, but it's not 100:1 or any of that nonsense.

Here is what I hang my hat on as to why I think this team will be fine.

Nothing went right last year except Konerko and Humber. Can they repeat, maybe.

Guillen became a distraction. My thoughts you get a bump in productivity from everyone from this.

The replaced players are replaceable and their replacements could be better.

Dunn, Rios and Peavy can become Dunn and Peavy and maybe Rios earns his money.

Morel, Flowers, Beckham, DeAza, Lillibridge, Viciado, Reed and Sale become solid MLB players and potentially progress.

Last year's team had nothing go right and they were almost .500

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 11:12 AM)
Here is what I hang my hat on as to why I think this team will be fine.

Nothing went right last year except Konerko and Humber. Can they repeat, maybe.

Guillen became a distraction. My thoughts you get a bump in productivity from everyone from this.

The replaced players are replaceable and their replacements could be better.

Dunn, Rios and Peavy can become Dunn and Peavy and maybe Rios earns his money.

Morel, Flowers, Beckham, DeAza, Lillibridge, Viciado, Reed and Sale become solid MLB players and potentially progress.

Last year's team had nothing go right and they were almost .500

I pretty much agree. I'm not in agreement with the doom and gloom I've been reading (here and in the media). I don't necessarily think this is a sure playoff team, and if I were a betting man I wouldn't bet on the Sox taking the division. But, last year was so bad, and it's hard to forget that. If Dunn improves to near career normal and Rios plays okay, the offense looks a lot better. The pitching staff has decent potential, especially if Peavy pitches well. And you're right about Guillen.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
I dunno...for whatever reason, it's always difficult to put back-to-back seasons together in baseball unless you have dominant pitching. The Tigers obviously have Verlander, and Fister and Scherzer have the potential to be above-average 2nd and 3rd's, but I'm not shaking in my boots just yet. I am one of the more optimistic fans, but I think the bounce back potential for our team, combined with some Robin magic might put us in a spot most don't expect.

As I posted earlier, the odds aren't great, but it's not 100:1 or any of that nonsense.

I'm not shaking in my boots about the Tigers either...but I'm much more shaking in my boots about the White Sox. I think I'm going to hate watching this team, and I think that all the bad tendencies of the last few years in how the org operates are going to get magnified...except for the annoying twitter fights.

QUOTE (daggins @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
It is remarkably hard to factually prove that someone was rushed but I would say Beckham's performance the last couple years probably indicates he was rushed.

I think its more likely that he just isn't very good.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)
I struggle to figure out how a player who "just isn't very good" can do what he did out of the gates in 2009.

I agree. Gordo is a good talent. Some are too quick to give up if the guy doesn't hit .400 na d75 homers.