A Lot for White Sox to Overcome

DirtySox

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 07:55 AM)
2k5 and I agree here. The Tigers won 95 games last year. They then added Fielder.

There's definitely some downside room for them. Verlander won't repeat last season, so subtract 2 wins there, maybe subtract another win for Valverde not being magic, probably subtract a win or two from either Avila or Peralta not having incredible seasons...but that's still starting with 88 wins if a lot goes wrong.

BP has the Tigers at 86 wins.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
He is also a guy that managed to get all of the way to the Sox in the AL on waivers.

If his performance since then hasn't earned at least a couple months for a rebuilding team to see if he can actually become a MLB starter, then it's impossible to earn a starting job based on minor league performance.

If he comes out and struggles, the clock will be ticking. He really needs to start rolling, at least decently, in April and May.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
If his performance since then hasn't earned at least a couple months for a rebuilding team to see if he can actually become a MLB starter, then it's impossible to earn a starting job based on minor league performance.

If he comes out and struggles, the clock will be ticking. He really needs to start rolling, at least decently, in April and May.

Sure he has earned a shot, I just have my doubts about whether he will be a plus player.

And to comment on two posts in one, I agree the Tigers are much much better than the Sox.

If everything goes right (2010 Bears right) for the Sox and everything goes wrong (2011 Indianapolis Colts wrong) the Sox have the ability to win the division. I am not certain any other team in the division can say this.

The White Sox are a 78 win team that could just as easily win 90 games as they are to lose 90 games.

I personally think there is some Tiger regression now we need some White Sox improvement.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 04:21 PM)
Sure he has earned a shot, I just have my doubts about whether he will be a plus player.

The nice thing is...we don't need him to be a plus player. We need him to be adequate. If he's "adequate", if he gives me a .350-ish OBP and a .350-.400 ish slugging, not only does he set up our leadoff spot better than it has been in years, but it also gives us a cost controlled player filling that role, a guy who hits left handed, and at least supplies a little speed on the basepaths.

From his minor league time, I don't think those numbers should seem outlandish for him and I think he's got a shot to beat them. And that would leave us having the leadoff spot filled for this year (and a much more potent lineup because of that), and having both the leadoff spot and an OF spot filled by a guy making the MLB minimum going into 2013, so there would be no reason to spend any new money filling the leadoff spot.

Out of the "Kids", the guys we need to be plus players are Viciedo, Sale, and Beckham. The guys we need to be "adequate" are Morel, De Aza, perhaps Flowers, perhaps Humber although he's not really a kid any more, etc.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)

And it's not like we have anyone close to ready in AA/AAA...Jordan Danks certainly isn't thought of as a prospect anymore.

That leaves only Lillibridge and Fukudome, with their being a decent/credible argument that Brent really deserves a shot at everyday play in LF/CF and as the leadoff hitter if DeAza fails to play up to at least a 750+ OPS level at a corner spot.

I guess there's still some thinking DeAza will be in CF and Rios in LF, but you can't have DeAza and Rios both in the 675-725 OPS range if you want to have any prayer of sniffing .500 baseball.

And of course there's a quite realistic possibility that Beckham continues to flop and Brent's the most realistic candidate to replace him at 2B, along with the triumvirate of O. Martinez/Kuhn/Escobar.