The team is pretty much set.

GreatScott82

Now that the team is pretty much set going into 2012, if you were Coach Ventura, what would your starting lineup and roation look like?

Starting Lineup:

1. Alejandro De Aza- LF

2. AJ Pierzynski - C

3. Alex Rios- CF

4. Paul Konerko- 1B

5. Adam Dunn- DH

6. Alexie Ramirez-SS

7. Dayan Viciedo- RF

8. Gordon Beckham- 2B

9. Brent Morel- 3B

I know it sounds crazy placing Rios 3rd. However, when Dunn went down and Rios was in the 3 hole- he thrived. Once Ozzie dropped him down when Dunn returned, he suffered tremendously. I would place Dunn 5th and pray for a miracle style turn around. I love the bottom of our order and think De Aza can be a serviceable leadoff hitter. I know AJ in the 2- hole looks weird but in 2008 he thrived in that spot and he is becoming a smarter hitter with age, working the counts and hitting to the oppositie side of the field.

Rotation:

1. John Danks- L

2. Gavin Floyd- R

3. Jake Peavy- R

4. Chris Sale- L

5. Simon Castro- R - I think he will impress in ST.

6. Phillip Humber (Long reliever)

What is your starting lineup and rotatioN?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex Rios hit .280/.333/.400/.733 in 27 plate appearances in the 3 hole. And, if you want to use that as reasoning for batting someone in a certain spot, then he should be batting cleanup, where he put up a .795 OPS. But, that's silly.

Humber not being in the rotation is also silly. He is technically the Sox best returning starting pitcher, and you want him in the bullpen? If Castro is going to be in the rotation, it will be after Floyd or Peavy is traded come midseason.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)
Alex Rios hit .280/.333/.400/.733 in 27 plate appearances in the 3 hole. And, if you want to use that as reasoning for batting someone in a certain spot, then he should be batting cleanup, where he put up a .795 OPS. But, that's silly.

Humber not being in the rotation is also silly. He is technically the Sox best returning starting pitcher, and you want him in the bullpen? If Castro is going to be in the rotation, it will be after Floyd or Peavy is traded come midseason.

The fact that Humber is our best returning pitching is scary. But he will likely still make the rotation. Usually there are 1 or 2 ST suprises and i'm hoping Castro can turn heads. But on paper, you are right it will be: Peavy, Floyd, Danks, Sale and Humber. And i'd take Rios hitting .280 in the 3-spot over .220 in any other spot in our lineup, thats for sure! Hopefully Ventura plays the #s game. We know Ozzie didnt.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
The fact that Humber is our best returning pitching is scary. But he will likely still make the rotation. Usually there are 1 or 2 ST suprises and i'm hoping Castro can turn heads. But on paper, you are right it will be: Peavy, Floyd, Danks, Sale and Humber. And i'd take Rios hitting .280 in the 3-spot over .220 in any other spot in our lineup, thats for sure! Hopefully Ventura plays the #s game. We know Ozzie didnt.

Why? This is only because of how good he was last year, not because of a weak rotation around him.

I think we'll see a ton of platooning.Fukudome, DeAza , Dunn, early and often against righties. Viciedo, Lillibridge against lefties though Viciedo should also play against RH's as much as possible. Morel ,PK ,Beckham, AJ, and Alexei pretty much all the time but if Beckham struggles early might see Lilly playing some 2nd base against lefties. Flowers plays against a lot of LH's .Rios needs to play to see if he rebounds but I don't give him much rope. He has to impress early or he goes to the bench and only play against lefties .

Danks, Floyd, Peavy , Humber, Sale my rotation.

If Danks is starting opening day, then Sale will probably be the #4. They'll break up the lefties.

We may know what they have in mind soon since they start playing games March 5. They play 15 days of games, off day, then another 15 days of games, so they could start off with the rotation they have in mind and give all 5 starters six starts in spring training.

Barring a rain out in Texas or Cleveland, the #2 starter will get the home opener, so it wouldn't bother me if they start off with Peavy, then go Danks, Floyd, Sale, and Humber. Also, it looks like the Sox will miss Verlander in the first home series, which doesn't suck.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
I think we'll see a ton of platooning.Fukudome, DeAza , Dunn, early and often against righties.

I am going to absolutely hate seeing a ton of platooning, I'm going to complain about it every time it happens to any of the kids, and I absolutely expect that you're right.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
I am going to absolutely hate seeing a ton of platooning, I'm going to complain about it every time it happens to any of the kids, and I absolutely expect that you're right.

The good side is since De Aza is LH even in a platoon situation you're going to see him play 85% percent of the time. Viciedo's playing time might suffer more since he isn't a good glove but hopefully only late in games when protecting a lead if those are the kids you want to see play most.

Until Beckham proves he can take a BP fastball to right field instead of missing it by 3 feet no way should he be in the 2-hole. I've actually never liked him in the 2-hole, but when he was going oppo regularly I was okay with it. If he was gonna become the super star we though he was (back in '10?) I would have preferred him in the 6 or 7 slot. Now he needs to stay 8, but really 9 until he can prove he can hit again...

And I agree, platooning the young guys would be an idiotic move by Robin. Let the young guys play and experience bumps and bruises along the way. Hiding them on the bench wont help their development and that's basically all this season is gonna be good for, getting Morel De Aza and Viciedo AB's and plenty of them to see what we got.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)

I don't think any one really knows with Robin as manager. I agree with you so let's hope he uses the beginning of his career as a reference and let's the kids fail and learn to succeed. Because everyone knows that especially hitting is a faling job. You fail more than you succeed and learning to deal with failing is one of the keys to becoming a good hitter.

I am trying to think of a season I looked forward too less than this one. Part of it I know is not seeing Mark out there tossing out the first pitch, while he is pitching for another team. A bigger part is just not liking this lineup. About the only thing I am excited about is Robin as manager and I hear they have a new beer vendor along the third base line. He's coming in from Colorado and can really move those trays in the later innings.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
Until Beckham proves he can take a BP fastball to right field instead of missing it by 3 feet no way should he be in the 2-hole. I've actually never liked him in the 2-hole, but when he was going oppo regularly I was okay with it. If he was gonna become the super star we though he was (back in '10?) I would have preferred him in the 6 or 7 slot. Now he needs to stay 8, but really 9 until he can prove he can hit again...

And I agree, platooning the young guys would be an idiotic move by Robin. Let the young guys play and experience bumps and bruises along the way. Hiding them on the bench wont help their development and that's basically all this season is gonna be good for, getting Morel De Aza and Viciedo AB's and plenty of them to see what we got.

For the most part I agree about Beckham being in the 2-hole...that's the first thing I thought. But thinking about it, it might be a good idea telling him this is your spot in the lineup for confidence reasons alone. You almost have to I think...this is his make or break year...so why not?

As for platooning...unless Dayan completely comes out flat...no way I shuffle him in and out. The Sox traded CQ on the premise that Dayan was the future in the outfield...leave him out there...period.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)
Agreed. It means they can also skip some starts to limit his innings.

They can still do that if he's in the 3 spot.

They came out and said Humber starts the season, most likely, as the #5 starter, and that's a move I like, because I want him to feel the same pressure to hold onto the spot that he was hit with last year.

CF - De Aza (L)

SS - Ramirez ®

DH - Dunn (L)

1B - Konerko ®

LF - Viciedo ®

RF - Rios ®

C - Pierzynski (L)

3B - Morel ®

2B - Beckham ®

or, If Rios sucks ass again:

CF - De Aza (L)

SS - Ramirez ®

DH - Dunn (L)

1B - Konerko ®

LF - Viciedo ®

RF - Fukudome (L)

3B - Morel ®

C - Pierzynski (L)

2B - Beckham ®

Rotation: Danks, Floyd, Peavy, Sale, Humber

Lillibridge had one possibly anomalous half season and had the advantage of the best possible pitching match-ups.

Rios is a two time All-Star. If Lillibridge is going to be our everyday CFer against both LH and RH pitching, we're in huge trouble.

On a great team, Brent's the perfect jack of all trades, back up everywhere....like Joe McEwing or Jose Oquendo. But not a guy who gets 600+ AB's.