The team is pretty much set.

GreatScott82

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 02:42 AM)
Every year is full of what if's. This season, there are more than ever. The team will most likely be incredible mediocre and be about +/-7 games of .500 all season, yet they have the potential to be so much better.

Adam Dunn, as we ALL know, was absolute crap last season. How in the WORLD did someone who could be considered the MODEL of consistency, all of the sudden post a .500something OPS? The offense will receive and incredible boost simply by him improving to career averages. Even if they're slightly below average, say 30 HR, 80 RBI, 90 BB, that's a HELL OF A LOT better than 11 HR, 42 RBI, 75 BB that he put up last year.

And of course, culprit #2 Alex Rios. When we picked him up in 09, for the most part, people thought it was dumb, yet saw the upside. He was crap in 09 for the Sox, but then came in and was kicking ass in the 1st half of 2010. How quickly we forget that he carried our offense for that 1/2 season by batting 3rd and putting up an an .878 OPS. His career AVG over a 162 game season is a .757 OPS. He posted a .613 OPS last year.

Then there's Gordon Beckham. Once the golden boy of the White Sox and the future of the organization, he's done nothing but decline since that awesome rookie campaign. Only 25, he's got tons of time to turn it around though.

Pitching wise, there's Jake Peavy. Same story. High expectations, low end results and frequent injuries.

Look at the roster and it seems like almost everyone is trending downward. That simply cannot continue to happen. The White Sox need a little luck to contend in 2012. There's no doubt about it. But so much of their luck has been bad recently that it's bound to turn around eventually.

I think the toll that Ozzie took on that team, and the entire media fiasco that went along with him, really effected the team much more than people think. Simply dumping him and getting some fresh faces in there will change the atmosphere in the clubhouse like you wouldn't believe.

And as we all know, when expectations are the lowest, that's when the most pleasant surprises happen.

It's 2012. It's a new season. It's a fresh start. All is forgotten. And it's time to write a new chapter. Expect the worse, hope for the best, and you'll never be disappointed. Sit back, relax, and strap it down.

Here's what I'd roll with:

LF De Aza

2B Beckham

1B Konerko

DH Dunn

RF Viciedo

CF Rios

C Pierzynski

SS Ramirez

3B Morel

SP Peavy

SP Danks

SP Floyd

SP Stewart

SP Sale

Being that it's a new season, I want guys to start off with a lot of confidence. You put Beckham in the 2-hole and you tell him he's capable of doing it, so go do it. You make Peavy the #1 SP because that's what he was brought in to do. Give him a shot, show him you have the confidence in him to be the old Peavy.

+ 25

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 03:42 AM)
SP Stewart

SP Sale

Being that it's a new season, I want guys to start off with a lot of confidence. You put Beckham in the 2-hole and you tell him he's capable of doing it, so go do it. You make Peavy the #1 SP because that's what he was brought in to do. Give him a shot, show him you have the confidence in him to be the old Peavy.

Why has Philip Humber lost his starting job to Zach Stewart? I'm a fan of keeping Stewart as a starter, but Humber was Humberific last year and ought to get a shot now that he's worked at least the better part of his first season as a starter.

High on crack if you think Humber isn't in the rotation.

I'm going with:

De Aza, Ramirez, Dunn, Konerko, Rios, Pierzynski, Viciedo, Morel, Beckham (not necessarily in this order)

Lillibridge, Fukudome, Martinez, Flowers

Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Humber, Sale (not necessarily in this order)

Axelrod, Marinez, Bruney, Ohman, Crain, Thornton, Reed

Maybe Dan Johnson instead of Martinez if Lillibridge can handle 3B.

Obviously some bullpen spots are wide open, but I'll go with Axelrod because they probably don't care where he ends up eventually and he can eat innings. They probably want Stewart to start at AAA and be ready once Peavy gets ouchy.

I'll go with Marinez because he has a little big league experience, and Bruney because he's just a guy to put in there in games you'll lose or if Crain pitches too many games in a row.

If I were Robin...

LINEUP

De Aza, CF

Morel, 3B

Dunn, DH

Konerko, 1B

Viciedo, RF

Ramirez, SS

Rios/Fukudome, LF

AJP, C

Beckham, 4

BENCH

Flowers: C

Lillibridge: 2B, RF/LF

Kuhn: 3B, 2B, SS

Danks: OF

ROTATION

Danks

Peavy

Floyd

Sale

Humber

BULLPEN

Reed (CL)

Crain (SU)

Thornton (SU)

Ohman (MR)

Santiago/FA crowd (LOOGY)

Stewart (MR-LR)

Some explanations...

--Even though I put De Aza in CF, and a platoon of Rios and Fuku in LF, in reality, it is a two-position platoon among the three of them. I am still skeptical of De Aza defensively in CF and I don't think Rios is going to be as bad there this time around, but we'll see.

--This team has no good 2-slot hitter, I picked Morel, but it could also be Ramirez or Beckham, depending on how their seasons all go.

--The bench is tough, but I am a believer in Kuhn, so I think he's a better fit than Martinez. Kuhn has played a lot more positions and is, IMO, likely to be much better with the bat. You lose a bit on D, but think about this: the starting 3B, SS and 2B are all above average on D so you are only replacing them on rare off days anyway. For that purpose, I want the bat more than the glove.

--I was torn on Johnson vs Danks, because Danks has the glove (and that helps a weak defensive OF a lot) - and I could see it going either way. Coin toss there, went with Danks. Need the D replacement, and 1B coverage really isn't much of an issue with Lillibridge and Dunn and even Kuhn there.

--I think Stewart is a reliever, so he's in the 'pen. Axelrod looks more like a starter to me, so I want him in AAA starting.

--No way you don't start Humber. Have to.

--Reed is the future closer, I think he may do better just plain jumping in. Thornton isn't much of an experienced closer, so it isn't like Reed has a mentor to mimic for a while. Just put him in there.

--LOOGY job can be one of 3 or 4 guys, Santiago most likely, but there will be ST competition for it.

--There are a bunch of other relievers who could get a 7th spot if they go that way, but I have a feeling they will go with a 6 man pen. If it is indeed 7, then Kuhn or Danks drops off the roster.

I am surprised so many people have Dunn that high. I want him nowhere near the middle of the order.

DeAza

Rios

Konerko

Vicedo

Ramirez

AJ

Dunn

Beckham

Morel

I don't love the 4-5 combo but we don't have much to work with.

Danks

Floyd

Humber

Sale

Peavy

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 07:41 AM)
Why has Philip Humber lost his starting job to Zach Stewart? I'm a fan of keeping Stewart as a starter, but Humber was Humberific last year and ought to get a shot now that he's worked at least the better part of his first season as a starter.

I don't see Humber being able to sustain his success. He'll likely be in the rotation out of Spring Training, but I think Stewart will overtake him eventually. I'm also a big fan of Stewart though. I want to see him getting consistent big-league starts.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
I am surprised so many people have Dunn that high. I want him nowhere near the middle of the order.

DeAza

Rios

Konerko

Vicedo

Ramirez

AJ

Dunn

Beckham

Morel

I don't love the 4-5 combo but we don't have much to work with.

Danks

Floyd

Humber

Sale

Peavy

You have Sale above Peavy and you have Dunn batting 7th but Rios batting 2nd? In what world does any of that make sense? Like I said above, you have to show confidence in these guys, because right now, they have none. You have to show Peavy and Dunn and Rios that there are certain expectations for them and you have the confidence in them to turn it around.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 04:17 PM)
I don't see Humber being able to sustain his success. He'll likely be in the rotation out of Spring Training, but I think Stewart will overtake him eventually. I'm also a big fan of Stewart though. I want to see him getting consistent big-league starts.

You have Sale above Peavy and you have Dunn batting 7th but Rios batting 2nd? In what world does any of that make sense? Like I said above, you have to show confidence in these guys, because right now, they have none. You have to show Peavy and Dunn and Rios that there are certain expectations for them and you have the confidence in them to turn it around.

It makes sense in the world that I think Dunn is finished. I expect nothing more than .220 and 20 hrs. That should be hitting 7th or actually out of the lineup. I have Rios batting second by default. Like I said the choices aren't very good. And by having Sale over Peavy I am showing confidence in Sale because I expect him to be on the team a lot longer than Peavy so if you are going to use the confidence logic, then why wouldn't you place it in the guy who will be here for a while.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 01:56 PM)
If I were Robin...

LINEUP

De Aza, CF

Morel, 3B

Dunn, DH

Konerko, 1B

Viciedo, RF

Ramirez, SS

Rios/Fukudome, LF

AJP, C

Beckham, 4

BENCH

Flowers: C

Lillibridge: 2B, RF/LF

Kuhn: 3B, 2B, SS

Danks: OF

ROTATION

Danks

Peavy

Floyd

Sale

Humber

BULLPEN

Reed (CL)

Crain (SU)

Thornton (SU)

Ohman (MR)

Santiago/FA crowd (LOOGY)

Stewart (MR-LR)

Some explanations...

--This team has no good 2-slot hitter, I picked Morel, but it could also be Ramirez or Beckham, depending on how their seasons all go.

Morel is going to be a very good #2 hitter. High contact rate with a good eye and a low strike rate. He'll have some power but not great. Leave Ramierez lower where his hitting capabilities fit better to driving in runs.

Edited by ptatc

The way Morel was driving the ball the final 6 weeks, do we want him to go back to the "contact" hitter he was the first 2/3rd's of the season?

A lot of people have argued he was worried about his job and wasn't able to relax until near the end of the season. Putting him back in that spot might end up with a return of the "bad" Morel offensively.

The problem is that Beckham and Ramirez aren't great alternatives, either, but Rios definitely isn't suited for that spot.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 12:31 PM)
The way Morel was driving the ball the final 6 weeks, do we want him to go back to the "contact" hitter he was the first 2/3rd's of the season?

A lot of people have argued he was worried about his job and wasn't able to relax until near the end of the season. Putting him back in that spot might end up with a return of the "bad" Morel offensively.

The problem is that Beckham and Ramirez aren't great alternatives, either, but Rios definitely isn't suited for that spot.

Yes, he's not going to be a 30 home run hitter, and he only hit like .230 during September. The power surge was nice but he needs to achieve some balance.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
Morel is going to be a very good #2 hitter. High contact rate with a good eye and a low strike rate. He'll have some power but not great. Leave Ramierez lower where his hitting capabilities fit better to driving in runs.

I don't believe Morel will be a very good anything hitter. He's Brent Morel. The dude had a .287 f***ing on base percentage last year with a .653 OPS, and you think he's a good option to receive the 2nd most plate appearances on our team?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
If Morel becomes even close to a 30 HR guy and Beckham returns to his projections, we'd have a very, very nice middle of the order punch with Beckham, Viciedo, Morel.

Brent Morel is not a 30 HR guy unless his urine got switched with Braun's.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 04:17 PM)
You have to show Peavy and Dunn and Rios that there are certain expectations for them and you have the confidence in them to turn it around.

Ozzie showed confidence in those idiots all last year and all it did was bury the White Sox even deeper.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
If Morel becomes even close to a 30 HR guy and Beckham returns to his projections, we'd have a very, very nice middle of the order punch with Beckham, Viciedo, Morel.

I almost want to throw the "I'd ban myself" cliche post for Morel hitting 30 homers in a season. I just can't see it happening in the game today.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
I almost want to throw the "I'd ban myself" cliche post for Morel hitting 30 homers in a season. I just can't see it happening in the game today.

If he does, I'll let Joe nickname him and roll with it, no questions asked.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)

Only four 3B hit 30 HRs last year, so expecting Morel to do so is crazy. However, the position is less of a power position now as evident by no other 3B hitting more than 17 last year. If Morel can get hit 20 with his defense he'd be incredibly valuable.