Sox spring training Catch All thread

southsider2k5

Speaking of getting on-base...

Pierre said the Phillies were the only team that reached out to him this offseason, making what he said was a surprise call in January. But perhaps nobody was happier to hear the Phillies were giving Pierre a shot than Willis. Pierre is the godfather to all three of Willis’ daughters.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/04/2673...l#storylink=cpy

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All you guys are going to drive yourselves crazy. There is no ideal lineup with so many guys trying to rebound from bad seasons.Throw the spaghetti against the wall and see if it sticks. That's all Ventura can do. Hope the kids develop and the ones who sucked improve and pray more than one of the pitchers become something special.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...rticle_27008592

Three new coaches.

And one-time White Sox staples such as Mark Buehrle, Carlos Quentin and Sergio Santos playing for new teams.

Yet, when the first pitch is thrown by Philip Humber around 2:05 p.m. CT during Monday's Cactus League opener against the Dodgers at Camelback Ranch, the Spring Training scenario remains virtually the same for pitching coach Don Cooper with regard to the preparation of his charges.

"For guys we know are going to be on the team -- and we know nine of them -- it's about getting them ready," said Cooper, speaking before Sunday's White Sox workout. "For some, it started [on Saturday in the Intrasquad game]. For everybody else, the next few days.

"Then, for the others, it's an audition for the openings we have. Nobody is ahead of anybody, nobody is behind anybody else. The evaluation now is going to start. We're not evaluating them during batting practice or sidelines. But now that the [games start], certainly everybody is going to be watching, and we're looking to evaluate to put them on the team."

Although Cooper has wavered between eight or nine locks on the pitching staff over the past 10 days since camp began, he clearly mentioned nine on Sunday. That number means Addison Reed will join Matt Thornton, Jesse Crain and Will Ohman as relievers who break camp with the club.

So, three stands as the magic number to complete the bullpen and the pitching staff, when factoring in starting pitchers John Danks, Jake Peavy, Gavin Floyd, Chris Sale and Humber. At least two of those remaining spots will be of the long-relief variety, based on Cooper's criteria.

"We kind of need two -- or possibly even three -- of those to be guys that can give us some innings," Cooper said. "The other guys -- Reed, Crain, Ohman, Thornton -- those are the guys, in a perfect world, to keep to an inning.

"But I'll stretch it to two. Know those guys will be getting two-inning outings down the line, so those other guys have to give us some innings. But we're going to be taking guys who can give us innings and get the job done."

Reed pitches Monday after Humber at Camelback Ranch, in a game that marks the first of 12 to be carried in their entirety on whitesox.com as a special Spring Training webcast. Left-handers Hector Santiago, Pedro Hernandez and Charlie Leesman are also scheduled for an inning, as is right-hander Nestor Molina, who has a remote shot to figure into the long-relief mix but more than likely will begin the 2012 season as part of the Double-A Birmingham starting rotation.

Through a brief Major League callup last season, the White Sox already have working knowledge of Santiago and his screwball out-pitch. They also know what Zach Stewart and Dylan Axelrod can provide in long relief, as well as in a spot start. That past knowledge is preferred in picking pitchers, as opposed to basing selection on the hitter-friendly environs of Arizona.

"Sometimes, we have some guys who don't have past records, so we'll have to make decisions," Cooper said. "We've seen Stewart, Axelrod, Santiago in Chicago. We haven't seen [Leyson] Septimo and [Jose] Quintana and Donnie Veal and others. They'll show us what we need to be thinking about."

A decision could be made to stretch out Santiago, Stewart or Axelrod as a starter in the Minors, sort of as a safety net. But as Cooper made clear on two occasions during his Sunday morning interview, the pitchers who give the White Sox the best chance to win will go to Texas with the team.

"My expectation is the same. We're trying to win games," Cooper said. "I happen to think we're going to be able to figure it out and piece it together, and that the pitching is going to give us a chance to do that. I believe that.

"Peavy, he's in a different spot than Danks. Everybody has stuff to achieve. Everybody is in a different spot. The rookies, they're going to be out to prove [something]. Our goal is to get them over the hump and be Major League guys."

While a third left-hander is expected to be part of the White Sox bullpen, Cooper called it "a reach" for a fourth left-hander to break camp. That reach comes even with left-handed-hitting power such as Prince Fielder, Shin-Soo Choo, Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Alex Gordon and Eric Hosmer featured throughout the American League Central.

Monday's Cactus League-opening lineup for the White Sox looks just like the lineup that Ventura figures to present on Opening Day in Arlington, with catcher A.J. Pierzynski hitting second, right fielder Alex Rios third and Adam Dunn, Alexei Ramirez and Dayan Viciedo situated in run-producing spots behind Paul Konerko. The biggest step taken for the players is simply getting into game action, with Ventura seemingly equally as excited as his players.

As Cooper mentioned, then the evaluation process truly can kick into high gear.

"They're getting a little tired of it, and we even started late," said Ventura of the workouts. "I can't imagine what other teams [are feeling]. ... Just remember how long it took to get to the games before."

"You like to get the soreness out in the bullpens and live BPs and get started," Thornton said. "Games are always more fun. It's the routine of the day, you have something to look forward to at the end of the day -- competition and hitters."

Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, Merk's Works, and follow him on Twitter @scottmerkin. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏ @CST_soxvan

Cooper says role hasn't changed with 1st-year manager: 'I have not sensed one difference in my job responsibility. Nothing.'

'I’m talking to Robin like I talked to the managers I’ve talked to in the past.'

Mark Gonzales ‏ @MDGonzales

Coach Don Cooper says final three spots in Sox's pen could be decided by who can pitch anywhere from 2 to 4 innings. Protection for Sale

sox vs. dodgers, 2:05 central. 670-AM, webcast at whitesox.com

CF De Aza, C Pierzynski, RF Rios, 1B Konerko, DH Dunn, SS Ramirez, LF Viciedo, 3B Morel, 2B Beckham. Humber v. Quintana

Sox B lineup Monday at Cleveland: Olmedo ss Short lf Gallagher 1b McPherson 3b Young rf Danks dh Thompson cf Phegley c Kuhn 2b Quintana p

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 5, 2012 -> 09:56 AM)

sox vs. dodgers, 2:05 central. 670-AM, webcast at whitesox.com

CF De Aza, C Pierzynski, RF Rios, 1B Konerko, DH Dunn, SS Ramirez, LF Viciedo, 3B Morel, 2B Beckham. Humber v. Quintana

Sox B lineup Monday at Cleveland: Olmedo ss Short lf Gallagher 1b McPherson 3b Young rf Danks dh Thompson cf Phegley c Kuhn 2b Quintana p

Headin' out there in a few hours. Looks to be a gorgeous day...sunny and around 84. Tomorrow's supposed to be windy and a cool down for a few days...so gonna soak up today.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 5, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)

Any idea what time this B game with Cleveland is at?

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Mar 5, 2012 -> 10:40 AM)
What time tomorrow is MLB Network showing the Sox? It's on delay, right?

http://mlb.mlb.com/network/schedule/Spring_Games.jsp

3-5 LAD whitesox.com 2pm

3-6 LAA MLBN tape delay 1am on 3-7 (Pujols first home spring game)

3-7 Mil whitesox.com 2pm

3-9 Chi WGN 2pm

3-10 Tex whitesox.com 2pm

3-12 Oak whitesox.com 3pm

3-14 LAA whitesox.com 3pm

3-15 Cle MLBN tape delay 8am on 3-16

3-17 Sea whitesox.com 3pm

3-19 Cin whitesox.com 3pm

3-22 KC whitesox.com 3pm

3-23 ARZ CSN 9pm

3-25 SF CSN 3pm

3-26 LAD MLBN tape delay 1am on 3-27

3-27 Cle whitesox.com 3pm

3-28 SD whitesox.com 3pm

3-29 LAD CSN 3pm

3-31 Col whitesox.com 3pm

4-1 Cin CSN 3pm

4-2 Mil whitesox.com 2pm

4-3 @Hou CSN 7pm

Edited by flavum

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...lb&c_id=mlb

Competition for roster spots begins in earnest. Consider Philip Humber, who will throw the first pitch of Monday's White Sox game against the visiting Dodgers in Glendale, Ariz. Humber is expected to be among five pitchers -- the others are John Danks, Jake Peavy, Gavin Floyd and Chris Sale -- vying for what would seem to be three openings on the pitching staff. New White Sox manager Robin Ventura and pitching coach Don Cooper will start looking them over now.

"For guys we know are going to be on the team -- and we know nine of them -- it's about getting them ready," Cooper said Sunday. "For some, it started [on Saturday in the intrasquad game]. For everybody else, the next few days.

:blink:

Amazing how little someone can know about the White Sox and how that could be published on MLB.com. LAZY!

My first spring training game ever. Humber pitched well in 2 innings. Addison Reed struck out Matt Kemp in a 1-2-3 inning. He looked good! Beckham made some nice plays at 2nd but looked lost at bat. Alexei was 2-2. Adam Dunn a groundout and a walk. Molina pitched ok for an inning but for his second inning, he had nothing and got rocked. Dan Johnson belted a two-run homer in the ninth off Ryan Tucker.

I know it's only spring training but what a bunch of lame-a$$ fans.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

Cooper on the 5-7 spots in the bullpen.

Mentioned Veal, Septimo and Quintana as three guys he wanted to see. Two of the guys should be long men, so that would seem to favor Santiago (as the 2nd lefty) and Axelrod or Castro.

Nothing about Josh Stewart. Jhan Martinez and Castro both pitched well in the B game. Then there's Bruney and Deunte Heath to consider as well. Gregory Infante.

Coming into ST, you assumed it would be Santiago, Axelrod/Castro/Stewart (yes, this will clearly upset Balta as much as Molina being in the pen) and then a huge open competition for the final spot on the team among about 10-12 pitchers.

Jhan Martinez

Brian Bruney

Gregory Infante

Deunte Heath

Eric Stults

Brian Omogrosso

Anthony Carter

Pedro Hernandez

Nathan Jones

Charlie Leesman

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 06:46 AM)
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

Cooper on the 5-7 spots in the bullpen.

Mentioned Veal, Septimo and Quintana as three guys he wanted to see. Two of the guys should be long men, so that would seem to favor Santiago (as the 2nd lefty) and Axelrod or Castro.

Nothing about Josh Stewart. Jhan Martinez and Castro both pitched well in the B game. Then there's Bruney and Deunte Heath to consider as well. Gregory Infante.

Coming into ST, you assumed it would be Santiago, Axelrod/Castro/Stewart (yes, this will clearly upset Balta as much as Molina being in the pen) and then a huge open competition for the final spot on the team among about 10-12 pitchers.

Jhan Martinez

Brian Bruney

Gregory Infante

Deunte Heath

Eric Stults

Brian Omogrosso

Anthony Carter

Pedro Hernandez

Nathan Jones

Charlie Leesman

Who is Josh Stewart?

Putting Zach Stewart in the bullpen annoys me but not nearly as much as putting Molina there would. Putting Zach Stewart in the bullpen means you've permanently given up on him as a starter, but there's at worst a 50-50 chance of that happening anyway. I'd like to see him get a shot at starting in AAA because I think sinkerballers work best in the rotation, but if Molina is a success, then having Stewart in the bullpen isn't a terrible thing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 08:45 AM)
Who is Josh Stewart?

Putting Zach Stewart in the bullpen annoys me but not nearly as much as putting Molina there would. Putting Zach Stewart in the bullpen means you've permanently given up on him as a starter, but there's at worst a 50-50 chance of that happening anyway. I'd like to see him get a shot at starting in AAA because I think sinkerballers work best in the rotation, but if Molina is a success, then having Stewart in the bullpen isn't a terrible thing.

Oops, former soft-tossing left-handed White Sox pitching prospect.

Came around at about the same time as the infamous Mike Porzio, when almost all of our 5th starter candidates were far from legit.

Even with no competition for the leadoff spot, Alejandro De Aza is challenging himself.

After seizing the top spot in the Sox's batting order with an impressive final two months last season, De Aza is devoting more time this spring to mastering his craft against left-handed pitchers.

"I was getting good at-bats against left-handed pitchers, and that's what I work on every day because if I'm going to play every day, I have to face lefties," De Aza said Monday.

De Aza, 27, batted .263 (5-for-19) against left-handers during his two months with the Sox in 2011, but he will be challenged by some of the tougher left-handers in the league, starting with Derek Holland of the Rangers during the Sox's first series April 6-8.

De Aza will replace Juan Pierre, an atypical leadoff hitter who lasted two years with the Sox thanks to a .331 batting average with runners in scoring position and 50 RBIs. That production offset his .329 on-base percentage and the fact he led the American League in getting caught stealing in each of the last two seasons.

One of Pierre's traits that De Aza will try to follow will be his success against lefties. Pierre batted .329 against left-handers and learned to take what opposing pitchers gave him instead of trying to pull very pitch.

Although De Aza isn't an accomplished bunter as Pierre was, he has the ability to hit to all fields and run.

"I try to use everything to my advantage," said De Aza, who was successful on 12 of 17 steal attempts and had a .400 on-base percentage in 54 games with the Sox.

Gonza

Right now, I see these guys competing for the last 3 bullpen spots:

LR (RH) - Axelrod/Stewart, with the loser starting in the season in the Knights' rotation.

LR (LH) - Santiago/Leesman/Veal/Hernandez, with Santiago the early favorite.

MR (RH) - Infante/Marinez, although a spring standout could land this spot.