Sox spring training Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crasnick has a piece up on the Sox/Ventura spring training.

Ventura has already shown he has the conviction to follow his instincts rather than the tried-and-true path. Some first-time managers might bring in a veteran dugout sage to help babysit them during the learning curve, but Ventura surrounded himself with peers rather than grizzled, bifocal-wearing relics. Parent, hitting coach Jeff Manto and third-base coach Joe McEwing, the newest members of the Chicago coaching staff, were playing contemporaries of Ventura. They've already jelled nicely with Cooper, Harold Baines, bullpen coach Juan Nieves and bullpen catcher Mark Salas, the four holdovers from Guillen's regime.

At the same time, Ventura has reached out to the organization's past. He has invited back franchise favorites such as Kusnyer, Joe Nossek and Jeff Torborg to share stories, lighten the mood and help rekindle the White Sox tradition.

If the Chicago players thought Ventura's first camp might be scattershot or disorganized, they were in for an awakening. Ventura arrived in Arizona several days before the players to make sure things ran smoothly, and he was quick to delegate authority to his coaches in their specific areas of expertise. The players have already noticed a bigger emphasis on details and fundamentals than they saw when Guillen was manager.

"It's a little more intense now," first baseman Paul Konerko says. "If guys mess up, we'll stop and keep doing it until we get it right. There's a little more heat in the drills."

Ventura also wants the Sox to be more attentive to holding opposing baserunners, a glaring team deficiency in 2011. According to ESPN Stats & Information, opposing teams were successful on 78.5 percent of stolen-base attempts against the White Sox last year -- fourth-highest in baseball. Base stealers were successful 87.3 percent of the time (62-for-71) against Gavin Floyd, Matt Thornton, Jesse Crain and Philip Humber, so holding runners has been a major point of emphasis in camp.

"We have pickoff plays now and we never had them in the past," Cooper says. "I'm talking about a backdoor pickoff at first, or pickoffs with the infielders. There's a lot more encouragement, and in some cases a little more pushing to put them on. If it's not important to the staff, it's not going to be important to the players."

While the detail man in Ventura plays drill sergeant, his laid-back, nurturing style could be therapeutic for some players. He had a celebrated college career at Oklahoma State, but hit .178 in his first September call-up, so he can relate to the travails of Beckham, a former Georgia All-American who is still looking for his comfort zone after multiple position changes.

"I struggled my first year worse than he did, so I get that part of it," Ventura says. "He needs to just play the game instead of thinking, 'I need to get four hits today.' If he can bring it back to just playing in the moment, everything will take care of itself. He's talented enough. He just overthinks it."

The fact that Brian Bruney is STILL in the organization makes me sad. Makes me even more sad that he was a 0 ERA this spring to trick the coaches into considering him for the Bullpen even though he's proven he's not a big league pitcher...

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)
The fact that Brian Bruney is STILL in the organization makes me sad. Makes me even more sad that he was a 0 ERA this spring to trick the coaches into considering him for the Bullpen even though he's proven he's not a big league pitcher...

I think he can be ok in the right role. Mopping up. Give a couple innings when Crain and Thornton need a day off.

If they're going to have Santiago and Stewart/Axelrod, plus Ohman, Reed, Thornton, and Crain, then Bruney has a spot in there. If he sucks, you dump him and bring in somebody else.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 10:19 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,7564974.story

It's like deja vu every year with Peavy. I swear the same story has been written the past three seasons.

Going out on a limb here by saying I don't even need to click on the link to know that he's saying he feels upset about what he's done, owes the Sox more, wants to be the guy, feels strong and ready to go, and ready to prove himself.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 08:33 PM)
Going out on a limb here by saying I don't even need to click on the link to know that he's saying he feels upset about what he's done, owes the Sox more, wants to be the guy, feels strong and ready to go, and ready to prove himself.

I'm guessing you're spot on Bacon :lolhitting

I hope he can turn it around but I'm not holding my breath anymore.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 14, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
He had an 0-41 in April/May of 1990, but not to start the season.

He got a hits in September of 89 when he first got called up.

I think Hawk has been saying he started his career 0-41 for years, and after a while everyone started believing it.

Sure, he got some hits, but he didn't hit well. He had 58 PAs in 89 and put up an OPS of .543, and the following year he put up .643 (which was when the 0 for 41 came into play).

Viciedo came up in 2010 and hit the crap out of the ball. I won't be worried about him unless he's doing the same thing next year. Then I think the Matt LaPorta comparisons would be fair.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 08:19 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,7564974.story

It's like deja vu every year with Peavy. I swear the same story has been written the past three seasons.

Have you noticed that he's been repeating this line all spring:

"I'm as healthy as I can be at this time." Feel like he's holding something back. He keeps saying it.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Mar 18, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
Remember St. Patrick's Day 2012. The day our spring training season turned around. Watch out Cactus League. We going to go from worst to middle of the pack.

Sounds like a better slogan than "Appreciate the Game," LOL.

At least it would get everyone in America talking, especially the grammar police.