Sox spring training Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 02:12 AM)
My first spring training game ever. Humber pitched well in 2 innings. Addison Reed struck out Matt Kemp in a 1-2-3 inning. He looked good! Beckham made some nice plays at 2nd but looked lost at bat. Alexei was 2-2. Adam Dunn a groundout and a walk. Molina pitched ok for an inning but for his second inning, he had nothing and got rocked. Dan Johnson belted a two-run homer in the ninth off Ryan Tucker.

I know it's only spring training but what a bunch of lame-a$$ fans.

Does Molina have any velocity at all?

The video stuff I've seen of him shows nothing but slow meat.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 01:00 PM)
Does Molina have any velocity at all?

The video stuff I've seen of him shows nothing but slow meat.

Molina's velocity is fine. It's all a matter of control/location and his offspeed stuff.

He consistently is around 89-94 as a starter.

Repeat delivery and consistency in attacking direction towards home plate, the two keys for a tall, left-handed reliever according to Cooper.

Veal struggling with his control, hit a batter but wasn't awarded first and a walk as well.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 02:35 PM)
Molina's velocity is fine. It's all a matter of control/location and his offspeed stuff.

He consistently is around 89-94 as a starter.

Repeat delivery and consistency in attacking direction towards home plate, the two keys for a tall, left-handed reliever according to Cooper.

Veal struggling with his control, hit a batter but wasn't awarded first and a walk as well.

Molina isn't a tall lefty though. He's a righty. Veal is the lefty.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 11:02 PM)
Molina isn't a tall lefty though. He's a righty. Veal is the lefty.

I know.

Somehow I put this post that should have been in the gamethread here accidentally.

But the Angels announcers were talking about Veal and quoting Cooper on "tall lefties" and they used the Matt Thornton Miracle as an example.

I wish Molina was a lefty, I would feel better about him after the way he got lit up like a Christmas tree yesterday.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 09:07 PM)
I know.

Somehow I put this post that should have been in the gamethread here accidentally.

But the Angels announcers were talking about Veal and quoting Cooper on "tall lefties" and they used the Matt Thornton Miracle as an example.

I wish Molina was a lefty, I would feel better about him after the way he got lit up like a Christmas tree yesterday.

Its spring training. Results matter to an extent but this is much more a time about guys getting into shape and their groove. Plus, Molina is young, I don't expect him to dominate to start. If his stuff looks lousy a couple weeks from now and continues into the year, than people have right to get a little frustrated with what the club got for Santos.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)
Its spring training. Results matter to an extent but this is much more a time about guys getting into shape and their groove. Plus, Molina is young, I don't expect him to dominate to start. If his stuff looks lousy a couple weeks from now and continues into the year, than people have right to get a little frustrated with what the club got for Quentin. However, it isn't as if Quentin had this ridiculous value. I liked him and felt that potentially his internal value (w/Sox) was more valuable than his value outside of the organization. I am excited to see what De Aza and Viciedo can do in a full season (and I might regret saying that a year from now, haha, depending on how they perform).

The sox got Castro for Quentin and Molina for Santos.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 07:54 AM)
The sox got Castro for Quentin and Molina for Santos.

Woops...I knew I had that backwards. That's what happens when I've been stuck working as much as I have been. Clearly higher expectations for Molina since you gave up Santos for him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 09:58 AM)
The only thing important you can take from a guy who has 20 innings above A ball getting lit up against an MLb lineup is that the idea he's ready for the bigs or will be anytime soon is as silly as it seemed to be.

No. You can literally take nothing from it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
John Danks jumped to the bigs after 20 innings in AA based on the strength of his spring training performance?

You're the one making irrational jumps based on a single spring training outing.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/

Ventura's Sox staff: 'What's not to like?'

By Daryl Van Schouwen on March 7, 2012 1:52 PM | No Comments | No TrackBacks

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Robin Ventura's staff might lead the Cactus League in team meetings. The good thing is most are brief and to the point, so there have been few complaints.

Players aren't griping about drills that take longer if they're not executed properly, either.

"If you drop the ball, we do it again,'' second baseman Gordon Beckham said. "Do it right and in a game it will go right. If you let stuff go, you'll make mistakes in a game. That's the point. We don't want to make mistakes in a game. And it showed - the first relay we had [right fielder Kosuke Fukudome to Beckham to catcher Tyler Flowers] we did it right. ''

Beckham gives two thumbs up to the new staff.

"What's not to like? They're good,'' he said. "They want to work and they really care about everybody getting a little better every day and that's important. They don't let you take a day off in terms of work.

"They're good, creating a good atmosphere.''

Ventura was looking for his first win when the Sox played the Brewers Wednesday. Jake Peavy started for the Sox against Marco Estrada

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 09:58 AM)
The only thing important you can take from a guy who has 20 innings above A ball getting lit up against an MLb lineup is that the idea he's ready for the bigs or will be anytime soon is as silly as it seemed to be.

You mean like the guy Molina was traded for, right?

Sergio Santos, cumulative minor league statistics, 2009 - 8.16 ERA, 1.99 WHIP - 26 G, 28.2 IP, 37 H, 2 HR, 20 BB, 37 K

Sergio Santos, spring training statistics, 2010 - 3.48 ERA, 1.55 WHIP - 10 G, 10.1 IP, 9 H, 0 HR, 7 BB, 16 K

I'm not advocating using Molina out of the bullpen, and I'm comparing Santos and Molina on the basis that Molina is (probably) more MLB ready than you are giving him credit for. And, simply put, taking anything from a Spring Training performance, especially their first performance of the entire season, is asinine. Freddy Garcia put up an ERA of 10.38 and a WHIP of 2.03 in the Spring of 2010 and he was pretty damn good for a minor league signing. To expect a young pitcher who is admittedly inexperienced to come out firing bullets right away is absurd.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 03:51 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏ @scottmerkin

I realize it's only Spring Training, but those who have written off Jared Mitchell look a bit too quick to judge. He's healthy now

Time will tell. Go to Birmingham, play 130 games, and we'll talk.