Sox spring training Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manager Robin Ventura quipped that slugger Paul Konerko should be healthy enough to drive home after fouling a pitch off his left knee in the seventh inning of the Chicago White Sox's 3-2 comeback win over Texas.

Konerko was in obvious pain after fouling a pitch from Scott Feldman off his knee. After receiving medical attention, Konerko finished the at-bat by striking out and left the game, walking toward the Sox's clubhouse behind right field without a limp.

“I don’t know if you can bring gear up to your thigh," Ventura said. "He hit himself in the knee. He should be OK to go home. He’s not playing tonight."

Konerko wasn't scheduled to play in Saturday night's game against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Camelback Ranch, now was he in Sunday's lineup against Colorado at Scottsdale. Konerko was nagged by a left calf bruise for the final two months after getting hit by a pitch from Boston's Andrew Miller on July 31.

Gonzo

Simon Castro got bombed out of the stadium by the Dodgers.

1+ IP, 6 hits, 5 runs alllowed...a bit like the first Gustavo Molina appearance.

I guess that's good, in one sense, it makes it more likely he'll be sent down to work on things as a starter and not as the 6th/7th guy out of the Sox bullpen.

Nice to see Morel and Beckham getting knocks.

Lineup for today facing Jamie Moyer:

Lillibridge ss, Pierzynski c, Rios dh, Dunn 1b, Fukudome cf, Young rf, Mitchell lf, Escobar 2b, McPherson 3b

Danks starts

Looks like an off day for most of the regulars. Cuts tomorrow?

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
Nice to see Morel and Beckham getting knocks.

Lineup for today facing Jamie Moyer:

Lillibridge ss, Pierzynski c, Rios dh, Dunn 1b, Fukudome cf, Young rf, Mitchell lf, Escobar 2b, McPherson 3b

Danks starts

Looks like an off day for most of the regulars. Cuts tomorrow?

I don't think there is much drama for position players on the roster. The pitching cuts will be much more interesting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
I don't think there is much drama for position players on the roster. The pitching cuts will be much more interesting.

Yeah, barring injury we know 12 of the 13 position players.

It's one spot for Martinez, Escobar, Johnson, and maybe Jor. Danks.

And as far as the bullpen, Ohman, Crain, Thornton and Reed are in. If I had to pick three more right now, I'd give Stewart, Santiago, and Bruney the nods.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 12:09 PM)
Yeah, barring injury we know 12 of the 13 position players.

It's one spot for Martinez, Escobar, Johnson, and maybe Jor. Danks.

And as far as the bullpen, Ohman, Crain, Thornton and Reed are in. If I had to pick three more right now, I'd give Stewart, Santiago, and Bruney the nods.

Yeah, Bruney makes sense b/c of his experience. Then we will have three young guys in the mix.

Stults at least looked good yesterday. Stults and Santiago gives us some left handed relief options. Stults probably beginning the season at AAA. Maybe not a bad under the radar signing?

For what it's worth, the Rangers also hadn't been playing well at all when we faced them.

Atlanta is 1-9, Texas 3-5, Cleveland 2-7, TB 3-6.

The Rockies had lost five games in a row before they beat us...but they were also using a lot more of their regular players.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
For what it's worth, the Rangers also hadn't been playing well at all when we faced them.

Atlanta is 1-9, Texas 3-5, Cleveland 2-7, TB 3-6.

The Rockies had lost five games in a row before they beat us...but they were also using a lot more of their regular players.

Once pitchers start going 6 and 7 innings, teams will see more accurately how their teams will perform in April.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 11:20 PM)
Once pitchers start going 6 and 7 innings, teams will see more accurately how their teams will perform in April.

It's also hard to judge things without radar guns and pitch tracking. Ed and DJ only mention the type of pitch thrown on the odd occasion, so it's hard to tell if someone is just working on fastball location early in ST, or just breaking breaking pitches in mid-ST. Similarly, I'll feel a lot better about our chances if Peavy is throwing ~94 right now, despite results.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
It's also hard to judge things without radar guns and pitch tracking. Ed and DJ only mention the type of pitch thrown on the odd occasion, so it's hard to tell if someone is just working on fastball location early in ST, or just breaking breaking pitches in mid-ST. Similarly, I'll feel a lot better about our chances if Peavy is throwing ~94 right now, despite results.

Actually, that'd be kinda scary for me, since I'd worry if Peavy were throwing that hard right out of the gates without having a chance to stretch his arm out over the year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 10:21 AM)
Actually, that'd be kinda scary for me, since I'd worry if Peavy were throwing that hard right out of the gates without having a chance to stretch his arm out over the year.

Good point. Peavy is definitely a nutcase, and totally capable of injuring himself to prove that he isn't injured. But it'd be nice to know he could hit the velocity he had when he was successful.