Sox spring training Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
None of the five starters pitched 200 innings last year and only two of the five have ever done it, so I'd be shocked if the Sox carried only 6 relievers.

To me it is why you want at least one of Santiago, Axelrod, or Stewart on the final roster. You will need a reliever who can give you 3-5 IP stretches at least once a week. Think of it as almost a 6th starter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 02:07 PM)
To me it is why you want at least one of Santiago, Axelrod, or Stewart on the final roster. You will need a reliever who can give you 3-5 IP stretches at least once a week. Think of it as almost a 6th starter.

I'd be surprised if 2 of them aren't there.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
None of the five starters pitched 200 innings last year and only two of the five have ever done it, so I'd be shocked if the Sox carried only 6 relievers.

Concern number one with this team is the four horsemen of 2011 underachievement. But a close 2nd, is what you hit on here - only Floyd and Danks put in full starting seasons last year. Peavy is coming off injury for (hopefully) his first full year back, Humber hit a wall at like 150 IP, and Sale was a reliever. I have a feeling some of those guys are going to run out of gas late in the season, through no fault of theirs, just the reality of the situation.

The only roster question/s is between Johnson and Escobar and the final bullpen spot/s, isn't that the consensus so far?

Although it seems that Axelrod has a slight lead on Zach Stewart at this point, and they wanted 2 of the last 3 bullpen spots to go to pitchers who were capable of going 2-3-4 innings at a time.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 03:03 AM)
Stewart needs to be starting in AAA. He, Molina, or Castro will all be interesting to watch.

Santiago and Axelrod should be the long men.

I would prefer the other way around, Axelrod seems much more capable of being a successful starter to me. That said, more than likely the org values Stewart more because he came in trade... plus Stewart just hasn't looked as sharp in ST. So likely it will work the way you state.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 05:10 PM)
According to Forbes. Sox profit $10.7 million in 2011. Team value up 14% to $600 million.

Does that count the insurance reimbursment claim for Jake Peavy?

Well, let the latest financial "spinning" begin anew.

The Royals made $28.5 million in profits. Someone in Lawrence won't be happy with David Glass.

http://www.google.com.hk/url?sa=t&rct=...tOg&cad=rjt

Brooks Boyer interview on the marketing team's challenges heading into 2012

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 08:03 PM)

The Royals made $28.5 million in profits. Someone in Lawrence won't be happy with David Glass.

http://www.google.com.hk/url?sa=t&rct=...tOg&cad=rjt

Brooks Boyer interview on the marketing team's challenges heading into 2012

The Royals must be putting some of the revenue sharing money in their bank account. If their farm system is anywhere near as good as a lot of people think, eventually they are going to have to pay some guys some big money.

By the way, starting from 2006-2011, the Royals have made a grand total of $93 million in profits.

And interestingly, we're still ranked ahead of the Cardinals, good for 10th place in overall franchise values, despite their newer stadium and 2 World Championships...although losing Pujols has to hurt a little in the short-term, the long term effects of that Angels' contract on the franchise would have been disastrous. The Twins are also greatly hurt by the Mauer/Morneau contracts going forward.

Interesting to see how much profit those teams with strong farm systems like the Rays, Blue Jays, Pirates and Padres made. Only the Mets, Phillies and Angels (barely) lost money. The Cubs raked in nearly $30 million in a very down year for attendance/revenue.

Forbes says Royals made $28.5 million in 2011

By BOB DUTTON

The Kansas City Star

By BOB DUTTON The Kansas City Star

Updated: 2012-03-21T21:55:49Z

JOHN SLEEZER

Note: Operating profit and revenue include revenue sharing.

Baseball’s most valuable teams (Forbes)

TeamOperating incomeCurrent valueChange

1. Yankees$10 million$1.85 billion9%

2. Dodgers$1.2 million$1.4 billion75%

3. Red Sox$25.4 million$1 billion10%

4. Cubs$28.1 million$1 billion14%

5. Philliesminus-$11.6 million$723 million19%

6. Metsminus-$40.8 million$719 millionminus-4%

7. Rangers$15.3 million$674 million20%

8. Angelsminus-$1.2 million$656 million18%

9. Giants$8.8 million$643 million14%

10. White Sox$10.7 million$600 million14%

11. Cardinals$25 million$591 million14%

12. Mariners$2.2 million$585 million30%

13. Astros$24.3 million$549 million16%

14. Twins$16.6 million$510 million4%

15. Braves$20.7 million$508 million5%

16. Nationals$25.9 million$480 million15%

17. Tigers$8.2 million$478 million24%

18. Rockies$14.4 million$464 million12%

19. Orioles$12.9 million$460 million12%

20. Padres$23.2 million$458 million13%

21. Marlins$12.9 million$450 million25%

22. Brewers$19.2 million$448 million19%

23. D-backs$27.2 million$447 million13%

24. Reds$17.1 million$424 million13%

25. Blue Jays$24.9 million$413 million23%

26. Indians$30.1 million$410 million16%

27. Royals$28.5 million$354 million1%

28. Pirates$15.9 million$336 million11%

29. Rays$26.2 million$323 millionminus-2%

30. A’s$14.6 million$321 million5%

The Royals generated an operating profit of $28.5 million last season, according to Forbes magazine in its annual “Business of Baseball” report. That profit, according to the magazine, represents earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization.

Only the Indians, at $30.1 million, showed a greater operating profit among baseball’s 30 teams. Major League Baseball has long disputed the Forbes figures, but they are generally cited as the game’s best financial measuring stick.

The Royals’ operating profit stemmed mainly from a low payroll because the club showed only modest gains in franchise value ($354 million up from $351 million) and revenue ($161 million up from $160 million).

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/21/35053...h#storylink=cpy

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)

That "profit" if it is real is probably 2/3 Peavy reimbursement.

I'm pretty shocked they're even letting Chen face the White Sox so close to the start of the season.

I'd probably hide him in a B game if I was the Royals.

Then again, he's already "in their heads," if he goes out and dominates them YET AGAIN, the Sox might as well be psychologically beaten before they ever face him in a game that counts.

It seems to me we really roughed him up long in the past, when he was with the Orioles or Braves.

Not so much recently.

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏ @CST_soxvan

SS Eduardo Escobar, battling for spot as 25th man, is 9-for-14 in last four games; 10-for-22 with 6 RBI in 13 games overall.

Konerko has a 7-game hit streak, 8-for-23 during that span. Lillibridge 8-for-19 with four doubles over last six games.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)

quoting twice for emphasis

Seriously, what part of that was verbal diarrhea? Peavy didn't talk about himself or how he was going to be the best pitcher he could be or how this team was going to be great or anything fanboyish that Peavy likes to state. He talked about the state of the clubhouse with Ozzie and with Robin and how much better it is with Robin. It's not as if he didn't take any sort of "shot" at people within the organization...during the interview, he mentions that, in the past, Williams' and Guillen's rift was so bad that it created problems within the clubhouse.

It was a nice segment. I'm glad you posted it.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
The part where everything he ever says is the worst thing ever to some people here.

he can say whatever he wants as long as he's putting up zeros. 12 straight innings of no run ball with a 9 K/9? love it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...3,0,14716.story

GLENDALE, Ariz. — Brian Bruney knows there's the assumption he's old, essentially because he has pitched in the major leagues since 2004.

But to enhance his chances of returning to the majors, Bruney had to turn a page back to his youth.

Bruney did so this offseason when he lost at least 20 pounds from his 6-foot-3 frame, and it hasn't hurt his chances of earning one of the final bullpen spots on the White Sox's opening-day roster as a nonroster invitee.

"Give him a lot of credit," pitching coach Don Cooper said Thursday, one day after Bruney pitched two scoreless innings against the Mariners. "He got himself in very good shape, and he's throwing the ball better and better. He has put himself in the mix, big-time. We have 11 days left, and the competition is ongoing. But he put himself into it."

Cooper indicated Bruney, who has been used often throughout his career as a late-inning, one-inning reliever, could be stretched out again — perhaps as soon as Saturday, when the Sox face the Brewers at Maryvale Park.

"We need that guy," Cooper said. "He has that flexibility to go two or three (innings). Wednesday, the good news was he could have gone another inning, and we may try to give him a three-inning outing. But we'll see how it goes. I'm not 100 percent sure about that, but two or three innings is kind of what we're hoping for from that spot."

Bruney threw a career-high 21/3 shutout innings against the Nationals — one of his three former teams — on June 25. His ERA was as low as 2.16 on July 26 until he allowed 11 earned runs in his next four outings and the Sox designated him for assignment Aug. 6. He didn't pitch the rest of the year.

That was part of a wake-up call for Bruney.

"I knew I had some work to do and get in shape," said Bruney, who confessed that he feels like he still eats ice cream four or five times a week. "I'm only 30 years old. I know it feels like I've been around a long time. I got drafted out of high school. There are a lot of guys who mature and blossom as pitchers later in their careers.

"I'm definitely stronger. I know that, for sure so (possibly being finished) never crossed my mind."

Yet Bruney didn't take any shortcuts over the winter.

"I worked out six days a week," Bruney said. "I took Sundays off so I could go to church and spend that day with my family. But it was six days a week on the stair-climber, working hard, eating well, and it was total dedication."