Sox spring training Catch All thread

southsider2k5

For anybody who said things like "man, this team is gonna lose 100 games!" after watching the Sox struggle early in ST:

The Sox are no longer in the basement of the Cactus League. They are now ahead of Milwaukee, Arizona, Cincinnati, Texas and Cleveland in the Cactus League. 1/2 game back of the mighty Cubs! In the Grapefruit League, the Sox are tied with Philly and ahead of such teams as Atlanta and Tampa Bay...

Once again proving that Spring Training results mean absolutely nothing.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone was wondering why Peavy gave up 12 hits yesterday but not a lot of runs or walks, it sounds like yesterday was his "Throw his fastball 100 times" outing of the spring, if you read between the lines of this Rogers article.

With Williams keeping him out of sight of the dreaded Indians, Peavy worked on his fastball in an inter-squad game against the Sox's Triple-A hitters. He looked strong early, throwing low-90s heaters past the likes of Tyler Kuhn and the newly acquired Greg Golson, but wound up allowing 12 hits and five runs in seven innings.

The best sign might have been his seven strikeouts against only one walk.

"I felt OK,'' Peavy said. "I'm tired. That was a long day's work."

Peavy was nevertheless going 1,000 mph at times. He let out his first audible grunt on his second pitch and his first self-directed curse on his seventh pitch.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 12:49 AM)
Hermanson had 9 years MLB experience before 2005, including 17 saves the previous season.

Screwball Santiago has 5.1 innings above AA ball.

Don't see the connection.

guys don't you get that none of that matters? we literally, LITERALLY just had a shortstop as our closer and y'all were fine with it. Let's stop freaking out before a decision is made, ok?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 09:10 AM)
I wish they'd leave game threads up for at least a week . Why so quick to archive them ?

Usually they get filed the next morning, or when discussion dies down. With spring threads not many people post in them, so they tend to get filed faster. If there is a demand for it, we can leave them out longer. They can always be read in the archives, just not posted in.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 07:11 AM)
Usually they get filed the next morning, or when discussion dies down. With spring threads not many people post in them, so they tend to get filed faster. If there is a demand for it, we can leave them out longer. They can always be read in the archives, just not posted in.

Not many people post in most spring threads :P. I just like reading them. Sometimes can pick up a tidbit you don't find anywhere else.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
Not many people post in most spring threads :P. I just like reading them. Sometimes can pick up a tidbit you don't find anywhere else.

Look towards the very bottom of the page for the archives. All old game threads are filed under the section for the year they were created. That is where the game threads get put after they are moved.

Chuck Garfien ‏ @ChuckGarfien

Sports Illustrated has White Sox losing 95 games. Last year 7 SI writers had them winning AL Central. Other 5 picked Twins.

Last year Sports Illustrated predicted the Minnesota Twins would win 90 games and win AL Central. They went 63-99.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 08:34 AM)
If anyone was wondering why Peavy gave up 12 hits yesterday but not a lot of runs or walks, it sounds like yesterday was his "Throw his fastball 100 times" outing of the spring, if you read between the lines of this Rogers article.

I don't know who I like to read less. Jake Peavy quotes or Phil Rogers writing. Pure drek.

This article is suppose to be about trading Peavy, and of course Phil misses who just became the biggest suitor for overpriced contracts after the sale of the Dodgers. The Dodgers are flush with TV cash and that clown Mcourt lowered payroll to $90mm. They have already come out and said they will be major players at the deadline.

Actually, the Dodgers could be a great future trading partner for the Sox, if they do want to try and unload a contract.

They have a need for power at 1b and could even be looking for an upgrade in the OF. Let's hope that Dunn/Rios/Peavy get off to strong starts and the Dodgers stay in the hunt.

Edited by shakes

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 07:17 AM)
Look towards the very bottom of the page for the archives. All old game threads are filed under the section for the year they were created. That is where the game threads get put after they are moved.

Thanks I knew that but that takes work .

5 games left in Arizona.

Thursday- vs LA 3pm (Sale on CSN)

Friday- vs KC 8pm (Humber pitches in B Game or AAA game)

Saturday- vs Col 3pm (Danks on .com)

Sunday- vs Cin 3pm (Peavy on CSN)

Monday- vs Mil 2pm (Floyd on .com)

Tuesday- at Hou 7pm (Sale on CSN)

Wednesday- at Hou 1pm (Humber)

Thursday- workout in Arlington

Friday- Ring the bell.

White Sox director of player development Buddy Bell, a former major league manager, will accompany the club on selected trips.

So will Jeff Torborg, who managed a young Sox team to 94 victories in 1990.

Even retired coaches Joe Nossek and Art Kusnyer are expected to surface at various cities the Sox visit.

Stalkers

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)
I like these guys coming around the team. That is a whole lot of baseball knowledge in those guys.

All of these guys were coaches who taught Ventura how to play major league baseball. He learned from them how to play, now he will learn from them on how to manage. Very good moves by KW to help his rookie manager.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
After watching that mlb.com video interviewing Thornton, Reed and Santiago, I find myself a Santiago fan. I think his overall attitude translates to performance under pressure more so than the other two. Anybody else watch that?

12.9 K.9 across 5 levels last year seems more like a closer to me, but I'm just a knucklehead.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 12:45 PM)
After watching that mlb.com video interviewing Thornton, Reed and Santiago, I find myself a Santiago fan. I think his overall attitude translates to performance under pressure more so than the other two. Anybody else watch that?

Does seem like the bullpen has the potential to be a bright spot this year

According to Merkin, Ventura may have the roster set on Sunday. Makes sense if they're traveling Monday night.

His guess is Nathan Jones will beat out Brian Bruney, and Zach Stewart will beat out Dylan Axelrod for bullpen spots.

Bruney is pitching tonight, so it could be huge for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
@MDGonzales Ventura, on breaking the news to Escobar that he made the opening day roster: "I told him to get a suit."

Kinda reminds me of the scene in The Rookie where he calls his wife and tells her to bring his jacket to Arlington. Then he gets to tell his son that he's going to be a major league baseball player.

That scene always gets to me.

I assume people still freak out on here when one starts a new thread so I'll ask on here.

I am always busy in the spring and haven't followed our Sox.

Tell me how u think these guys performed in ST.

Morel

DeAza

Thornton

Dunn

Rios

Humber

Crain

Beckham

Thank u