Sox spring training Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 07:41 PM)
No one got on Konerko or Buehrle when they had their awful years

Very true, and I think Dunn deserves the benefit of the doubt to change his workout. But PK and Mark never had the worst season in MLB history like Dunn did, so some of the criticism is well deserved.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,7459093.story

Revenge not on Danks' mind in bid for opening-day start

By Mark Gonzales Tribune reporter

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- When the Texas Rangers celebrate the hoisting of their second consecutive American League title April 6, Chicago White Sox left-hander John Danks hopes to hold his own party if given the opportunity at Rangers Ballpark.

Danks wants to pitch on opening day at Texas, and there could be special incentive if he's given the assignment.

"You want to pitch opening day," said Danks, who began his professional career with the Rangers and lives in Austin in the offseason. "It’s a special game. It’s different than any other game you play the rest of the season. Playing in Texas adds to it. I’ll have people there, but more than anything, I want to throw opening day. It’s an honor. It’s something that not everyone gets to do once in their career, and I’d love the opportunity to do that."

Danks, however, cut any emotional feelings toward the Rangers gradually after getting traded to the Sox after the 2006 season.

"There are barely any guys I played with," Danks said. "I don’t know anyone over there hardly any more in terms of the coaches."

The Sox are expected to align their spring training rotation this week with the regular season in mind, and Danks is a strong candidate to start the season opener.

The team is already scared of facing Sale.

Poor Tyler Kuhn, today could not have been the best of days for the infielder. Kuhn, a left-handed hitter from Lexington, Ken. who split 2011 between Class AA Birmingham and Class AAA Charlotte, certainly drew the short straw on Monday as pitchers faced live hitters for the very first time. Among Kuhn’s draw? Left-handers John Danks, Hector Santiago, Will Ohman and … Chris Sale (yikes!).

“Guys were flinching behind the screen, let alone in the box,” laughed White Sox manager Robin Ventura after seeing Sale face a hitter for the first time. The first-year manager enjoyed watching Gavin Floyd throw as well.

Also, Ventura's first full team meeting tomorrow.

I'm extremely excited about Chris Sale in the rotation. We've heard only positives about his potential so far. And I love that he has a goal for himself to throw 200 innings. I don't think he'll do it, but I certainly hope he can. He was a workhorse in college but he won't get the quick outs in the bigs as a SP like he did in college against inferior talent. There's no doubting he has ace potential though, which is exciting enough. The goal for him should be 6 innings in every start, which will be tough right off the bat. We have no clue where his endurance is at the moment. But if all goes well, 6 innings then going into Crain/Thornton/Reed in whatever order should be a nice recipe for some W's.

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-ta...tm_medium=email

GLENDALE, Ariz -- After winning 17 games in his first season with the White Sox in 2008, many felt it was just the beginning for Gavin Floyd. If his career was an arrow, it was pointing straight up towards the sky.

But in the last three seasons, the 29-year-old right-hander, who has the stuff to be one of the best pitchers in the game, has statistically been reduced to a .500 pitcher going 11-11, 10-13, and 12-13.

Spring is a time for optimism. The past is the past. What you control is today. Ask Floyd about tomorrow and the season that awaits, and you’ll hear a man looking for big things.

“I believe that I can win 20 ballgames,” Floyd said in an interview with Comcast SportsNet.

Saying it is one thing. Doing it is another. Can he?

“He definitely has the stuff to win 20,” said White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper. “But it’s also a matter of scoring runs. You might be pitching your ass off on those days, but if on that given day we don’t score or have trouble catching the ball, wins are very difficult to get.”

Cooper continued, “Is he capable? Does he have the stuff? Yes.”

Until recently, Floyd would never have said on-the-record that he believes he can win 20 games. He was much more shy and reserved when speaking with the media.

Call this the new Gavin Floyd, who’s now a seasoned veteran entering his fifth year with the White Sox, who hold a team option on his contract for 2013. He knows his potential and his ability to fool hitters. It might not show it on the back of his baseball card, but he says he’s still the pitcher he was in 2008...and then some.

“I think I’ve become even a better pitcher even though I had better statistics in certain areas," Floyd said. "I feel like I’ve matured and I’ve got more experience under my belt. I feel like I’ve grown a lot.”

Gavin thinks 20 wins is possible. How about just matching his career-high of 17?

“I definitely feel like I can do that every year,” he said.

Floyd has a cell phone. He has a computer and the internet. He heard all about the trade rumors this off-season that had him being dealt to the likes of the Red Sox and Blue Jays. He’s heard them before, but this winter he felt it might actually happen.

“I guess it was more realistic this off-season than others because the last couple years, my name had been brought up a couple of times, but this off-season, I think it was more often,” Floyd said. “I did pay attention to it a lot because you try to anticipate where your family is going to go, where you’re going to go because that’s very important to me. A couple of times it really became real. I was trying to think about what city I was going to go to or what team. I’m still with the White Sox. I never got the phone call.”

Now in Glendale for Day 5 of spring training, Floyd is firmly implanted in the White Sox starting rotation. However, he’s aware that his $9.5 million team option for next season might be pretty tempting for contending teams if things don’t go the White Sox way this summer.

“I’m here today. I’m trying to live for today and whatever happens tomorrow, happens tomorrow,” Floyd said. “I’m here with the White Sox. That’s what I’m anticipating.”

The same with 20 wins. Will he get there? We'll have to wait and see.

Chuck Garfien ‏ @ChuckGarfien

Konerko on last year's distractions: "We were just giving away games." Says that won't be an issue this year.

ESPN Chicago ‏ @ESPNChiSox

Konerko: "Even May, June, sometimes with a team u don’t know what u have so you certainly don’t know on the first day of spring training.”

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏ @CST_soxvan

Konerko on no Buehrle: "I don’t know what to say about that other than it doesn’t seem right.”

PK: we have a lot of young guys. You can’t get around that. young guys in the pen, young guys in the field trying to establish themselves.

Scot Gregor ‏ @scotgregor

Konerko says if young players like Brent Morel, Gordon Beckham and Addison Reed have good seasons, #WhiteSox "are moving in right direction"

Gonzo

Ventura's speech was short and direct. A security guard cleared all camera crews working outside the Sox's clubhouse, but Ventura's message was shorter and less profane than Guillen.

"It was straight to the point as far as for us showing up and getting prepared to play," Ventura said. "We’re here to win games. It’s important to me and the staff that they show up every day and give a good effort. Everyone has put in too much time and effort, organizing all this stuff and do stuff with the team just for guys to show up and not care. It’s offensive to me for guys to come in and don’t put out a good effort. It’s that’s simple, for now.”

Ventura stressed that he wanted his players to have fun but take their drills seriously and not go through the motions.

"I want it done right, or we’ll stay out until we do it right,” said Ventura, who added that his rules stressed being on time, being a good teammate and respecting the organization and the city of Chicago.

As for Dunn, "he looked fine to me," Ventura said. "He’s hitting live. I saw him when he was hitting live. He was fine. He's feeling good, and that's all right now I’m asking for. He looked fine to me. I wasn't a hitting coach for a while, but I don’t have the ability to go out there and look and say, ‘it’s not going to work.’ "