5 burning questions

southsider2k5

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-ta...tm_medium=email

1. Is Robin Ventura ready to be the new voice of the White Sox?

Thus far, it’s hard not to like what Robin Ventura is selling. Replacing a legend is never easy and not saying Ozzie Guillen was such, but he did have the personality of an entire team -- oh yeah, and was the first manager to win a World Series in Chicago in 88 years. But there’s no doubt that the team needed a change. It needed a new voice, someone other than that of the outspoken Guillen. There will never be another Ozzie, and Ventura is not pretending to replace him. This team as constructed represents one that seems more suited for the more relaxed style of Ventura and the attitude and energy he brings to Arizona. Hopefully, he can do more with less for a team with few expectations.

2. Can the rotation overcome the loss of Mark Buehrle?

I’m not sure fans will feel the true impact of Buehrle’s loss until Opening Day, but the White Sox will immediately. Gone is a clubhouse favorite and organizational mainstay. There are few guarantees in baseball, but Buehrle is one: 200 innings, 10+ wins, 30+ starts. Now it’s time for others to step up. The Sox turn to John Danks, a mini-Buehrle in a sense, to take over the role as ace of the staff. Danks was dangled as trade bait in the offseason before the team committed to the southpaw long term. He has the makeup to be the guy and he’s pitched in big games. But after Danks there are several question marks. Gavin Floyd has shown flashes at times, but hasn’t delivered enough to be considered a No. 2. Jake Peavy has made just 38 starts since being acquired in a deadline deal in 2009. Chris Sale has shined out of the bullpen, but is an unknown as a starter and Philip Humber was one of the surprises of the first half a year ago, but it was also the first time in his career where he made more than one career start in a season. Their rotation could be one of the deepest in the game, however heading into Thursday’s first workout, these questions have to be answered in order for that to happen.

3. Which Adam Dunn will show up?

Enough about Dunn’s 2011. It might be the most well-documented story of last year’s season on both sides of town. The question now is whether 2011 is a thing of the past, or more of what’s to come. Dunn can’t possibly be worse. Statistically, it was one of the worst seasons in the history of the game. If the slugger is mentally strong, he could easily win the AL Comeback Player of the Year award, something he’s on the record as saying he wants to win. If Dunn can hit .230 with 30 home runs, that’d fill a major void in a lineup that’s in dire need of his ‘old’ numbers.

4. Who will close?

Sergio Santos filled a huge void at the back end of the bullpen after early struggles from Matt Thornton and Chris Sale as closer in 2011. Thornton and Sale went on to have great seasons in their more traditional roles and Santos recorded 30 saves in his first season as a closer. But the Sox dealt Santos to Toronto in the offseason and now they’re back to where they started. Thornton, Jesse Crain and rookie Addison Reed all figure to be in the mix, but Thornton is the likely favorite coming out of camp. What I like about Thornton this offseason is that he has voiced his preference to be the team’s closer. Whoever it is, they’ll need that pitcher to finish off games, especially in April. You can’t win the division in April, but you can lose it, especially at the back end of the bullpen.

5. Can Dayan Viciedo make fans forget about Carlos Quentin?

Viciedo has all the tools to be a superstar for the White Sox. He’s been fantastic at Charlotte for the last two years and has shown the ability to club the ball in limited at bats in Chicago. He struggled after being called up last season and now, for the first time, is being penciled the starting lineup to replace Quentin. Quentin could have been in the AL MVP in 2008, but injuries plagued most of his time in Chicago. However, CQ had the ability to carry the team on his back for stretches, something they’re now hoping Viciedo can do.

1. I don't want him to be the voice of the White Sox, I just want him to be a good manager.

2. Not totally, but close enough.

3. I think Dunn will be somewhere in between last year and previous years.

4. Reed, but not right away. Thornton at first.

5. As long as he is healthy.

1.) hardly matters

2.) going to be hard, given that humber can't be expected to replicate, and sale has never started at this level. We're boned if we have injuries

3.) An Adam Dunn that is somewhere between the 2011 version and the 2010 version

4.) Thornton

5.) No, I've always thought Quentin was undervalued by sox/fans and apparently was by management as well

1. I think he'll turn into a great manager and he's ready to start down this new path. Is he ready to be a seasoned leader - no. Will he be alright and get better with time? Absolutely, yes.

2. You will never find another Buehrle and it's a tragedy to lose him. It's time for Peavy to show up. It's time for Sale to take hold of the starters role and hopefully be injury free. It's time for everyone to step up indeed.

3. Adam Dunn will have a better season ( how could he not ) but I'll need to see a strong April or May before I'm ready to expect his "norm" again.

4. I sure hope it won't be Thornton and want Reed. Now that Sale is out of the pen - I don't think they'll isolate our best lefty to the closers role. Fingers crossed for Reed out of the gate.

5. The tank can completely make fans forget Q. He could very well become the most powerful force on our team over the next couple years - very excited to see him rip it up. This year we'll probably see times of struggle and more at bats vs LHP... but it'll be a very nice showing when all is said and done.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
Hearing the story of Walker and Guillen's concern about Dunn last spring has me feeling less certain about what shows up this year. Prior to hearing that story, I was of the opinion that he would return to normal.

For me, the worst part of the Walker/Guillen story is that Guillen kept trotting Dunn out to the plate. If he was as broken as they "knew" from Spring Training, Dunn should have sat. As a fan, I thought it was the right thing to do to be patient. But if Walker and Guillen identified from the first day of Spring Training that something was very wrong, they never should have stayed with him.

1. Ventura will be fine. Don't know that he's a championship manager, but it will be nice to get away from the Ozzie/Kenny circus. It's actually kind of disappointing that at some point in the past few years, one of the vets didn't come forward and say that they were sick of it and that Ozzie and Kenny should be professional and keep their crap in house. That would have showed some leadership. The players always said it didn't bother them, and the fued itself might not have, but answering questions about it had to.

2. MB will probably be missed more for his presence in the clubhouse as an all-around good guy than for what he has left on the field. I love him, but he's a 12-14 win guy.

3. I can't imagine that Dunn will be as bad as last year.

4. I can't remember the question - closer? I think they'll do fine by committee early. I wasn't ever 100% confident in Santos, though he certainly performed well for stretches. I think he's replaceable, and I doubt he turns into Mariano Rivera. He reminds me a little of Roberto Hernandez - pretty good, but always had me on the edge of my seat (in a bad way).

5. CQ was really good when he was really good, and incredibly frustrating the rest of the time. I wish Kenny traded him when his value was higher. Viciedo will be fine, and if he's not, at least we'll know and can move on.

I'm kind of excited about the season. I have low expectations, and that's usually when my teams win.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
Hearing the story of Walker and Guillen's concern about Dunn last spring has me feeling less certain about what shows up this year. Prior to hearing that story, I was of the opinion that he would return to normal.

What story? Do u have a link please??

Nevermind :)

http://chicago.sbnation.com/chicago-white-...-mlb/in/2331238

http://chicago.sbnation.com/chicago-white-...ctions-and-more

Edited by hi8is

1. Robin will do just fine. He was always an intelligent player and will be as a amanger as well, once he gets his feet on the ground. He's also the anti-Guillen, which is exactly what was needed.

2. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a Sox player as much as I have Mark over the years. He will be sorely missed.

3. Adam Dunn. Flip a coin on this guy. Could go either way.

4. I think the bullpen work itself out.

5. I totally forgot the question.

ETA: Ok, I got it now. Dayan will need some time before we expect him to be capable of replacing ... Paulie! That's the long term expectations of most I believe. I don't epect the power that CQ showed from DV this year. I'm hoping for a bunch of fence rattling doubles though.