THIS DATE IN WHITE SOX HISTORY/Bobby Bonilla

StatManDu

Today, Bobby Bonilla celebrates his 49th birthday.

I often wonder what the White Sox of the 1990s would have been like if the White Sox had kept Bonilla, Harold Baines, Doug Drabek and Bob Wickman.

Played strictly by the book, this means Jose DeLeon, Lance Johnson, Sammy Sosa, Wilson Alvarez, Scott Fletcher, Roy Smalley, Steve Sax and George Bell would not have been members of the White Sox. These were players all acquired by the Sox for either Baines, Bonilla or Drabek.

The most glaring absence from the aforementioned list would have been Lance Johnson, who is one of the most underrated players in franchise history, and Wilson Alvarez. Fletcher's absence would have made Joey Cora a regular quicker. Bell gave the Sox one good year and Sosa was erratic at best.

This is not to say Himes could have gotten Johnson from the Cards for Floyd Bannister or Richard Dotson or Dave LaPoint and/or prospects.

But, let's play it straight up:

That lineup, without Johnson, would have been Raines LF, ???? in CF, Bonilla RF, 3B Ventura, SS Guillen, 2B Cora, 1B Thomas, C Fisk/Karkovice, DH Baines, SPs (at one time or another): McDowell, Drabek, Fernandez, Hibbard, Bere, Perez, Hough, Sanderson; Pen (at one time or another): Hernandez, Radinsky, McCaskill, Wickman, DeLeon (acquired in 1993), Assenmacher, Pall; Bench: Grebeck, Newson, LaValliere, Pasqua, Paco Martin, Bo Jackson, Huff

Even with a below average CF, there is really no pitching around anyone in that lineup.

Needles to say, I think, that roster would have netted the franchise more than the one AL West title it won during the 1990s.

QUOTE (StatManDu @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 11:30 AM)
Today, Bobby Bonilla celebrates his 49th birthday.

I often wonder what the White Sox of the 1990s would have been like if the White Sox had kept Bonilla, Harold Baines, Doug Drabek and Bob Wickman.

Played strictly by the book, this means Jose DeLeon, Lance Johnson, Sammy Sosa, Wilson Alvarez, Scott Fletcher, Roy Smalley, Steve Sax and George Bell would not have been members of the White Sox. These were players all acquired by the Sox for either Baines, Bonilla or Drabek.

The most glaring absence from the aforementioned list would have been Lance Johnson, who is one of the most underrated players in franchise history, and Wilson Alvarez. Fletcher's absence would have made Joey Cora a regular quicker. Bell gave the Sox one good year and Sosa was erratic at best.

This is not to say Himes could have gotten Johnson from the Cards for Floyd Bannister or Richard Dotson or Dave LaPoint and/or prospects.

But, let's play it straight up:

That lineup, without Johnson, would have been Raines LF, ???? in CF, Bonilla RF, 3B Ventura, SS Guillen, 2B Cora, 1B Thomas, C Fisk/Karkovice, DH Baines, SPs (at one time or another): McDowell, Drabek, Fernandez, Hibbard, Bere, Perez, Hough, Sanderson; Pen (at one time or another): Hernandez, Radinsky, McCaskill, Wickman, DeLeon (acquired in 1993), Assenmacher, Pall; Bench: Grebeck, Newson, LaValliere, Pasqua, Paco Martin, Bo Jackson, Huff

Even with a below average CF, there is really no pitching around anyone in that lineup.

Needles to say, I think, that roster would have netted the franchise more than the one AL West title it won during the 1990s.

Don't forget Keith Foulke, Bobby Howry and Mike Caruso. They came from SF in the Alvarez trade. I think the Sox got their money's worth for Bobby Bonilla especially considering he was a rule 5 pick up by none other than Hawk Harrelson. They also got Neal Cotts in the Foulke/Koch trade.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
Don't forget Keith Foulke, Bobby Howry and Mike Caruso. They came from SF in the Alvarez trade. I think the Sox got their money's worth for Bobby Bonilla especially considering he was a rule 5 pick up by none other than Hawk Harrelson.

Was that his best move?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
I think the Sox got their money's worth for Bobby Bonilla especially considering he was a rule 5 pick up by none other than Hawk Harrelson.

They got Jose Deleon for Bobby Bonilla who was eventually flipped for One Dog. Bobby Bo was, in his prime, one of the most feared hitters in his day, while LJ was a leadoff guy who didn't walk, had a noodle arm, and always seemed to make boneheaded mistakes on the bases. I don't see how can say we got our money's worth, even if Bonilla was a relatively cheap pickup via Rule 5.

If the Sox kept Bonilla, the question remains - would they have been in line for McDowell in '87, Robin in '88, and Frank in '89?

If the Sox kept Bonilla, the entire future of the franchise could have been altered for the worst. I can't imagine the Sox in the 90s without Frank Thomas.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 06:24 PM)
They got Jose Deleon for Bobby Bonilla who was eventually flipped for One Dog. Bobby Bo was, in his prime, one of the most feared hitters in his day, while LJ was a leadoff guy who didn't walk, had a noodle arm, and always seemed to make boneheaded mistakes on the bases. I don't see how can say we got our money's worth, even if Bonilla was a relatively cheap pickup via Rule 5.

One Dog, boneheaded mistakes? Don't think so. He was a good CF despite not being able to throw and was a big part of the Sox success from 1990-1994. Many of Bonilla's big seasons where when the Sox were so awful, they wouldn't have won anything anyway. After 91 he became extremely expensive. As was stated, keeping him might have meant no Robin Ventura or Jack McDowell or Alex Fernandez or Frank Thomas.