Could this be a dying bit of furniture

Texsox

19 members have voted

1. 1. With eBook readers multiplyng will bookcases become an oddity?

• Yes, but in a hundred years
    • Yes, in my lifetime
    • No
    • Really Tex, that's all you have to think about?

Funny thing is, when I bought my house, I made the sellers leave 3 huge bookcases/modular media cases behind, so now I have enough room for a freaking library in my house.

I think I'll try to get the books I think will stand the test of time a bit in physical form and all the other stuff just in digital.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
E-books are great, especially for travel. But they are no match to sitting on the couch and holding an actual book in your hand and reading for an hour.

I disagree. I find the experience to be exactly the same, but a lot cheaper on the Nook.

And to answer the question, I'd say book shelves will be around for a very long time. They are mostly for decoration, photos, etc, and the look of a hard cover book will always portray class. Hell, we've got hardcover books on our shelf just because they look good, but I won't open half of them (gifts never asked for or whatever).

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
E-books are great, especially for travel. But they are no match to sitting on the couch and holding an actual book in your hand and reading for an hour.

I believe you are correct for those people who grew up with actual books. But for this generation, who will grow up with eReaders and perhaps without newspapers, reading bits and bytes from a computer screen will offer that same experience.

I still like a book in my hand. The turning of the pages, etc.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 11:42 PM)
My mother is convinced that when my son enters high school in a little over a decade, all of his books will be on an e-reader.

This is because textbooks suck and don't belong on book shelves.

Edited by Quinarvy

I believe the business model will keep the students from ever "owning" the book. Some fee will be added to each student and the schools and the publisher will make money. Most on-campus bookstores have seen a dramatic reduction in their profits and by extension, so too have the universities.

For high school and below, the wear and tear on school district owned books is costly. Because those books are provided by the school, they will welcome the switch once they have bought enough e-Reading platforms.

And finally, publishers could increase their profits by selling updates, multimedia upgrades, advertising onlinked sites, and probably a dozen more ways we haven't even thought about.

I'm in grad school now and most of my classes do have an e-book option for the textbook. NO ONE uses it. I love my kindle for casual reading, but would find it obnoxious when you're just trying to flip through the pages to find one section to reference.

QUOTE (SnB @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 03:20 PM)
I'm in grad school now and most of my classes do have an e-book option for the textbook. NO ONE uses it. I love my kindle for casual reading, but would find it obnoxious when you're just trying to flip through the pages to find one section to reference.

I agree. What needs to happen is for the publishers to develop more of a textbook "app" than just the textbook as a book. Then you have a very compelling reason to switch.

QUOTE (SnB @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 04:20 PM)

If I was a grad student and all of my classes offered that you can bet your life I'd be buying it just for the sheer weight reduction.

I re read what I wrote, I should have written textbook "apps". Each textbook would be it's own app. Perhaps there would be some standard format. But I'm thinking it would be as easy as going to the Android Market and downloading the "Pearson's History 1401" app.

As a student, I have access to tons of books in PDF format- textbooks, review books, question books, etc

when using them, I ALWAYS print them out instead of reading them from my ipad

For studying the readers just dont work - can't write on them, mark them up in different colors, can't flip from one book to another easily, etc