Leader in the clubhouse for...

Brian

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently gave a server at a popular chain restaurant a smaller than 10% tip because she was inattentive to my table while bestowing great attention to a larger table. When I finally have to get up and find someone to get my check, that sucks. THe reply was my server was very busy with that other group. To which I said, so she was working and taking care of customers, just not me. It was the first time I can remember tipping below 15% in a long long time. I usually bounce between 15 and 20% unless the tab was small for some reason then I will tip a higher percentage. There is one place in particular where the owners will usually comp my meals, I will always calculate the tip on what the bill should have been, not what it actually was.

This guy sounds like a pompous dick. If I was in the group I would have to go back and later and tip the server myself.

And, while we are on the subject, I hate the tradition of tipping. Pay the servers a decent wage and leave me out of it.

there is almost nothing that pisses me off more than someone who doesn't tip correctly. as someone who works in the food service industry (because I figured as an actor, why not also be a cliche?) I can tell you that a 20% tip should be g-damned mandatory. Its amazing how few people understand that the ONLY money servers make is what you tip them. That's it. Our hourly wage gets entirely dissolved by taxes so paychecks generally read $0.00

even 15% isn't great. but man, with this guy, I would have ripped him a new one. right then and there. because nothing makes people feel more insecure than other people knowing what a bad tip they left. I also don't have a huge problem getting in trouble. There are always more restaurants. :P

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
there is almost nothing that pisses me off more than someone who doesn't tip correctly. as someone who works in the food service industry (because I figured as an actor, why not also be a cliche?) I can tell you that a 20% tip should be g-damned mandatory. Its amazing how few people understand that the ONLY money servers make is what you tip them. That's it. Our hourly wage gets entirely dissolved by taxes so paychecks generally read $0.00

even 15% isn't great. but man, with this guy, I would have ripped him a new one. right then and there. because nothing makes people feel more insecure than other people knowing what a bad tip they left. I also don't have a huge problem getting in trouble. There are always more restaurants. :P

Sorry, but this is mostly bulls***. My detailed reasons as to why will be posted below. And if you don't like it, I don't give a f***.

I'm not commenting on this story, I don't know the details, and I really don't care.

I'm commenting on all the bulls*** I hear repeated about the food service industry, and how you should tip.

First and foremost, I'll tell you how *I* should tip, not you, and not anyone else. That said, I'm one of the more generous tippers you've met, and at times I'll go as high as 40%, HOWEVER, you/they/he/she has to earn it. Just because you're a waiter/waitress doesn't entitle you to 15-20%, I find people repeating that crap and it's just that...it's crap. You have to do your job well, and that consists of a few things. If I ask you a question, answer it, and if you don't know the answer, find one, but don't make me wait 20 minutes because it slipped your mind. Don't mess up my order, but hey, if you do, mistakes happen...correct it fast. Don't make me wait. Don't make me wait. Don't make me wait. I shouldn't have to ask for a fork, etc. I shouldn't have to wait for you to get back to me because my drinks have been empty for 20 minutes. All of the above.

Bottom line is this...treat me like s***, you get treated like s*** back.

Treat me well, and you'll be rewarded justly...as you should be. But you are NOT entitled to anything.

This comes with the territory of taking a job that you know relies on tips, which rely on good service. If you don't want to give good service, don't take the f***ing job.

Edit: And to be sure, people that do get good service but tip badly are just assholes. I'm not defending that type of behavior. I am, however, defending the patrons right to give whatever tip they feel the server deserves...and it SHOULD eclipse 20% if they did their job very well. But nothing irks me more than servers in that industry that feel entitled regardless of how s***ty of a job they do. f*** them.

Edited by Y2HH

I completely agree with you Y2HH. And that's coming from a long time server and bartender.

EDIT: Although my tips for poor service are around 15%. Very rarely would I go below that unless the server was being a total jackass.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)
Sorry but this is mostly bulls***.

I'm not commenting on this story, I don't know the details, and I really don't care.

I'm commenting on all the bulls*** I hear repeated about the food service industry, and how you should tip.

First and foremost, I'll tell you how *I* should tip, not you, and not anyone else. That said, I'm one of the more generous tippers you've met, and at times I'll go as high as 40%, HOWEVER, you/they/he/she has to earn it. Just because you're a waiter/waitress doesn't entitle you to 15-20%, I find people repeating that crap and it's just that...it's crap. You have to do your job well, and that consists of a few things. If I ask you a question, answer it, and if you don't know the answer, find one, but don't make me wait 20 minutes because it slipped your mind. Don't mess up my order, but hey, if you do, mistakes happen...correct it fast. Don't make me wait. Don't make me wait. Don't make me wait. I shouldn't have to ask for a fork, etc. I shouldn't have to wait for you to get back to me because my drinks have been empty for 20 minutes. All of the above.

Bottom line is this...treat me like s***, you get treated like s*** back.

Treat me well, and you'll be rewarded justly...as you should be. But you are NOT entitled to anything.

This comes with the territory of taking a job that you know relies on tips, which rely on good service. If you don't want to give good service, don't take the f***ing job.

haha i think it's great that the one area in which the common man feels HE is ENTITLED to something is when he goes out to dinner. It's amazing how pompous you all become.

that said, 99% of the time servers give adequate service, and for that they deserve at least 15-20%. Thus, generally speaking, servers are entitled to said tip. And that means that yeah, sometimes you might have a wait a few minutes to get your check, or a refill, or whatever it is you need. Sometimes servers have up to TEN different tables to take care of at the same time. Have you EVER had to do something that requires multitasking of that magnitude? Bet you couldn't handle it unless you'd been working in the industry for at least a year. Maybe longer. It's not an easy job, and some compassion from your side of the table goes a hell of a long way.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 09:49 AM)
haha i think it's great that the one area in which the common man feels HE is ENTITLED to something is when he goes out to dinner. It's amazing how pompous you all become.

that said, 99% of the time servers give adequate service, and for that they deserve at least 15-20%. Thus, generally speaking, servers are entitled to said tip. And that means that yeah, sometimes you might have a wait a few minutes to get your check, or a refill, or whatever it is you need. Sometimes servers have up to TEN different tables to take care of at the same time. Have you EVER had to do something that requires multitasking of that magnitude? Bet you couldn't handle it unless you'd been working in the industry for at least a year. Maybe longer. It's not an easy job, and some compassion from your side of the table goes a hell of a long way.

I agree, they do deserve upwards of 20% for good service, and I don't tip below 15% unless the service is so horrendous it ruined my entire night, which rarely has ever happened.

And I don't want excuses as to how busy it is, either...I've been in some of the busiest restaurants in the world (I'm a restaurant lover/foodie), and I've had some of the best service EVER in those places...and yes, I do a job that requires such multitasking now. It's not an excuse to do a bad job. Yes, if the person is new, they deserve some leeway, but those aren't the people I'm talking about. I'm talking about those that know they're delivering bad service but still expect nice tips. Mostly, those that know they can be doing a WAY better job, but just don't care...but then complain to everyone about bad tippers.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
I completely agree with you Y2HH. And that's coming from a long time server and bartender.

EDIT: Although my tips for poor service are around 15%. Very rarely would I go below that unless the server was being a total jackass.

I agree with this. And I have no issue giving nice tips when deserved...as a matter of fact, I'd RATHER give a huge tip, because that means the server made my night better.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 09:49 AM)

lol. Try a crowd of 85 traders on earnings day and get back to me

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
I agree, they do deserve upwards of 20% for good service, and I don't tip below 15% unless the service is so horrendous it ruined my entire night, which rarely has ever happened.

And I don't want excuses as to how busy it is, either...I've been in some of the busiest restaurants in the world (I'm a restaurant lover/foodie), and I've had some of the best service EVER in those places...and yes, I do a job that requires such multitasking now. It's not an excuse to do a bad job. Yes, if the person is new, they deserve some leeway, but those aren't the people I'm talking about. I'm talking about those that know they're delivering bad service but still expect nice tips. Mostly, those that know they can be doing a WAY better job, but just don't care...but then complain to everyone about bad tippers.

fair enough. i've worked with those people and they're annoying to us too.

You walk into a store and buy something you have paid for their employees and yes they feel entitled to that pay. You don't have a choice. If you buy there, you have paid for the service. Go to a fast food place where there is no tipping, if you eat there and the service sucks, guess what? you paid for the s***ty service.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 09:56 AM)
I recently gave a server at a popular chain restaurant a smaller than 10% tip because she was inattentive to my table while bestowing great attention to a larger table. When I finally have to get up and find someone to get my check, that sucks. THe reply was my server was very busy with that other group. To which I said, so she was working and taking care of customers, just not me. It was the first time I can remember tipping below 15% in a long long time. I usually bounce between 15 and 20% unless the tab was small for some reason then I will tip a higher percentage. There is one place in particular where the owners will usually comp my meals, I will always calculate the tip on what the bill should have been, not what it actually was.

This guy sounds like a pompous dick. If I was in the group I would have to go back and later and tip the server myself.

And, while we are on the subject, I hate the tradition of tipping. Pay the servers a decent wage and leave me out of it.

The restaurants are not going to eat that added cost of paying their servers more, they'll just raise the price of that $9 burger to $13. I think the tip is most fair: with no tip and the raised price of food, there is no disincentive for s***ty service. In that regard I think we should be so lucky to decide what tip we give.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
You walk into a store and buy something you have paid for their employees and yes they feel entitled to that pay. You don't have a choice. If you buy there, you have paid for the service. Go to a fast food place where there is no tipping, if you eat there and the service sucks, guess what? you paid for the s***ty service.

ok...... i'm not sure what you're getting at. why should it be any different at a restaurant? you're paying for the product, shouldn't the employees feel entitled to compensation?

The girl I started dating is a food nut and has introduced me to all sorts of different restaurants here in Las Vegas. As such, I have seen all kinds of different style and class of restaurants over the last several months (I don't know that the girl eats a meal at home, ever).

IMO, it appears as though management is entering this equation and it's being taken out in lower tips on the server. If the server has so many tables that he/she is unable to provide good service, than that is an issue of being understaffed and one that should be addressed to the manager, not your particular server. Your server should not suffer from lower tips because they have been set up for failure by their manager.

The better restaurants seem to recognize this and put their servers in the best position to succeed since they know service is so important.

Of course, if the server is just being lazy or obnoxious, or hitting on the new girl while your drink sits empty, than yes, that server deserves a s***ty tip.

Not to sound harsh, but the server's financial situation or the way the restaurant industry chooses to operate is not really my problem. Yes Reddy, your check is almost entirely dissolved by taxes, but I'm sure you report all your tips accurately so that you can pay taxes on those, right? ;)

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
The restaurants are not going to eat that added cost of paying their servers more, they'll just raise the price of that $9 burger to $13. I think the tip is most fair: with no tip and the raised price of food, there is no disincentive for s***ty service. In that regard I think we should be so lucky to decide what tip we give.

fwiw tipping is not universal in all cultures, plenty of countries do pay food service workers a decent wage and tips aren't expected but are more or less priced into the food and drinks.

I would never want to be a server, and there are some out there who should be in another line of work. I must say though that I really haven't had really poor service in a long time. Maybe I'm just lucky. I usually tip between 20-25%. If the service was bad I'd make it 15% and put it on a credit card so they have to report it. If the service was so bad it wouldn't warrant that, I'd have walked out well before it would be time to pay the bill.

The one thing that is really irking me now is tip jars popping up at restaurants where there is no "service". Places like Jimmy John's and Subway. They are almost everywhere.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)

When you tip, you are paying 20% over the cost of the burger anyway, so what's the difference if they raise the price.

Mandatory tipping is stupid IMO. Pay the restaurant workers a better wage and let me decide if they deserve an extra tip. I am already paying 20% over the menu price now anyway, so if they raise the prices it will work out the same.

It was nice in Australia & New Zealand, tipping is not expected all because the servers make a much higher wage. If someone's service was was that much better, then you can give them a little extra at your discretion, but not be required too.