Leader in the clubhouse for...

Brian

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 11:11 AM)
I would never want to be a server, and there are some out there who should be in another line of work. I must say though that I really haven't had really poor service in a long time. Maybe I'm just lucky. I usually tip between 20-25%. If the service was bad I'd make it 15% and put it on a credit card so they have to report it. If the service was so bad it wouldn't warrant that, I'd have walked out well before it would be time to pay the bill.

The one thing that is really irking me now is tip jars popping up at restaurants where there is no "service". Places like Jimmy John's and Subway. They are almost everywhere.

Yeah, the dry cleaners have a tip jar now. The ice cream place. The grill in the cafeteria at my work. Why don't we all set up tip jars? I'm going to put one on my desk at work.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
The girl I started dating is a food nut and has introduced me to all sorts of different restaurants here in Las Vegas. As such, I have seen all kinds of different style and class of restaurants over the last several months (I don't know that the girl eats a meal at home, ever).

IMO, it appears as though management is entering this equation and it's being taken out in lower tips on the server. If the server has so many tables that he/she is unable to provide good service, than that is an issue of being understaffed and one that should be addressed to the manager, not your particular server. Your server should not suffer from lower tips because they have been set up for failure by their manager.

The better restaurants seem to recognize this and put their servers in the best position to succeed since they know service is so important.

Of course, if the server is just being lazy or obnoxious, or hitting on the new girl while your drink sits empty, than yes, that server deserves a s***ty tip.

Not to sound harsh, but the server's financial situation or the way the restaurant industry chooses to operate is not really my problem. Yes Reddy, your check is almost entirely dissolved by taxes, but I'm sure you report all your tips accurately so that you can pay taxes on those, right? ;)

hell yeah i do! :P

there's gotta be SOME perk to working in restaurants right?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 12:11 PM)
I would never want to be a server, and there are some out there who should be in another line of work. I must say though that I really haven't had really poor service in a long time. Maybe I'm just lucky. I usually tip between 20-25%. If the service was bad I'd make it 15% and put it on a credit card so they have to report it. If the service was so bad it wouldn't warrant that, I'd have walked out well before it would be time to pay the bill.

The one thing that is really irking me now is tip jars popping up at restaurants where there is no "service". Places like Jimmy John's and Subway. They are almost everywhere.

agreed. i hate that s***. tipping for fast food service? gimme a break.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 12:11 PM)
When you tip, you are paying 20% over the cost of the burger anyway, so what's the difference if they raise the price.

Mandatory tipping is stupid IMO. Pay the restaurant workers a better wage and let me decide if they deserve an extra tip. I am already paying 20% over the menu price now anyway, so if they raise the prices it will work out the same.

It was nice in Australia & New Zealand, tipping is not expected all because the servers make a much higher wage. If someone's service was was that much better, then you can give them a little extra at your discretion, but not be required too.

Right, but the tip is a discretionary increase. If they gave you great service with your burger, you tip them the extra money. Meanwhile if you have s***ty service but the price is already included, you end up paying the same without receiving the same quality of service. Having a tipping system allows the the consumer to justify spending $13 on a burger plus good service versus $13 for a burger and potentially poor service.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 12:23 PM)
Right, but the tip is a discretionary increase. If they gave you great service with your burger, you tip them the extra money. Meanwhile if you have s***ty service but the price is already included, you end up paying the same without receiving the same quality of service. Having a tipping system allows the the consumer to justify spending $13 on a burger plus good service versus $13 for a burger and potentially poor service.

cha-ching.

i'm a good server. i pride myself on that. but if i weren't getting tipped, i wouldn't give a f***.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 12:23 PM)

I went to Culvers yesterday and received outstanding service, and I don't believe they get tips. I rented a car with Hertz & there were some issues, but the non-commission employee was great the whole time. I'd say over 90% of employees don't receive any kind of tip whatsoever, yet customer service is still great in most places. If a server was getting much a better wage, I don't think they would purposefully give s***ty service for risk of losing their job, as in any other industry.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
I went to Culvers yesterday and received outstanding service, and I don't believe they get tips. I rented a car with Hertz & there were some issues, but the non-commission employee was great the whole time. I'd say over 90% of employees don't receive any kind of tip whatsoever, yet customer service is still great in most places. If a server was getting much a better wage, I don't think they would purposefully give s***ty service for risk of losing their job, as in any other industry.

no, but we'd do just enough to get by. and that's not what you're looking for out of a restaurant server

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)

I'm not saying servers would intentionally just not care or give you poor service. I understand most every other industry DOESN'T rely on tips and they do just fine. But how many times have you hung up on customer service with your bank or someone and been pissed off that you weren't treated properly? Or stormed out of a store that wouldn't take your returned items with a receipt? While there are many examples of great helpers in a clothing store, you can also remember those times they weren't helpful at all. Tipping gives you a way to express your gratitude or disgust with the service, allowing the consumer some level of discretion as to how much they pay; s***ty service at the hardware store still means you're paying the same price.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)
I'm not saying servers would intentionally just not care or give you poor service. I understand most every other industry DOESN'T rely on tips and they do just fine. But how many times have you hung up on customer service with your bank or someone and been pissed off that you weren't treated properly? Or stormed out of a store that wouldn't take your returned items with a receipt? While there are many examples of great helpers in a clothing store, you can also remember those times they weren't helpful at all. Tipping gives you a way to express your gratitude or disgust with the service, allowing the consumer some level of discretion as to how much they pay; s***ty service at the hardware store still means you're paying the same price.

It means you're paying the same price THAT time.

The way you show your gratitude or disgust is whether you choose to patronize them again in the future.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
no, but we'd do just enough to get by. and that's not what you're looking for out of a restaurant server

How is that different than any other customer service job? And if the server doing enough just to get by hampers my experience enough, then in the future I may decide to go somewhere else instead.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)

My issue with this is that many servers can be paid under minimum wage. So even if the service is awful, I still feel obligated to give him at least 10-15%, because otherwise they are making under the federal minimum at that point of the day. Give me the option to tip if I am extremely pleased with the service, but don't force me too.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 01:12 PM)
How is that different than any other customer service job? And if the server doing enough just to get by hampers my experience enough, then in the future I may decide to go somewhere else instead.

that was my point. that the system of tipping makes the service better.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 12:17 PM)
My issue with this is that many servers can be paid under minimum wage. So even if the service is awful, I still feel obligated to give him at least 10-15%, because otherwise they are making under the federal minimum at that point of the day. Give me the option to tip if I am extremely pleased with the service, but don't force me too.

Then maybe they should do their job better, or, find a job that isn't incentive based for bad/good/great service.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 12:06 PM)
Then maybe they should do their job better, or, find a job that isn't incentive based for bad/good/great service.

That's a simple way of looking at things but isn't practical for the many artists, musicians, etc. that need that type of flexibility in their schedule. They can't just go find a 9-5 office job instead.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 03:13 PM)
That's a simple way of looking at things but isn't practical for the many artists, musicians, etc. that need that type of flexibility in their schedule. They can't just go find a 9-5 office job instead.

Or college students.

From the server's perspective, some clients are cheap jackasses no matter what, and would give you a s***ty tip even if you give them a tug under the table. So if you get clients like that, your pay for that portion sucks automatically, while a better hourly wage and optional tipping could alleviate situations like that.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 03:13 PM)

exactly. I don't WANT to be a server. I hate it. But like Sqwert said, my auditions are anywhere from 9-5 so I need to be able to work nights and weekends. Give me a position that pays BETTER than being a server, but you can work those hours. Doesn't exist. It's what most of us are forced to do.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)
cha-ching.

i'm a good server. i pride myself on that. but if i weren't getting tipped, i wouldn't give a f***.

Really? So if you worked as an accountant you wouldn't feel compelled to do a good job? I pray you never become a doctor :lolhitting

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 11:43 AM)

So servers do not have any pride or motivation in doing a good job? They are somehow motivated differently than the millions of other workers in a service industry? That is sad. I guess then if you were hiring people for a non commissioned or tip based job you would not hire a restaurant server because they would not be motivated to do a good job? Do you carry that same attitude to work as an actor?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)

It's a simple way of looking at it sure, but it's also reality based on that persons personal decisions/choices. If you want to pursue that sort of life/living, then you have to take the good with the bad, and in the case of an artist/musician/actor, that's the reality they're accepting along with said decision to live that more flexible life.

Do I love having to get up at 6am EVERY day, or working nights/weekends if need be? No, but it's something I accept by doing the job I do.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)
So servers do not have any pride or motivation in doing a good job? They are somehow motivated differently than the millions of other workers in a service industry? That is sad. I guess then if you were hiring people for a non commissioned or tip based job you would not hire a restaurant server because they would not be motivated to do a good job? Do you carry that same attitude to work as an actor?

Simply put, yes, they ARE motivated idfferently than other service industry workers. the vast majority of servers are doing that job as a means to an end. that end being a day when they can pay their rent solely as an artist, actor, singer, musician. I don't give a s*** about my serving jobs, and that's why i bounce from restaurant to restaurant. Once the relationship stops working (ie: them getting pissed about me requesting time off for shows, swapping shifts because of auditions) I stop working for them and go somewhere else. My passion is acting. That's all I care about. Serving is, like I said, a necessary evil that goes with the territory, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy it or like it. Right?

I'm supposed to take pride in a job where b****y people like to do everything they can to pay me less and make it harder for me to make rent and have a decent quality of life, all because they thought the chicken pot pie was too watery? Yeah sorry no. Guess I'm not as good a person as you are Tex.

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 25, 2012 -> 11:11 AM)
When you tip, you are paying 20% over the cost of the burger anyway, so what's the difference if they raise the price.

Mandatory tipping is stupid IMO. Pay the restaurant workers a better wage and let me decide if they deserve an extra tip. I am already paying 20% over the menu price now anyway, so if they raise the prices it will work out the same.

It was nice in Australia & New Zealand, tipping is not expected all because the servers make a much higher wage. If someone's service was was that much better, then you can give them a little extra at your discretion, but not be required too.

You will always see, at the very minimum, a 25% hike in retail vs wholesale price of restaurant food, but that's because you have to pay for the employees (read: cooks, servers, dishwashers, bussers, hosts, and even bartenders) as well as rent. Sometimes, that can be increased by up to 50%. If you increase it anymore, you are going to end up with a $13 5-6 oz burger or a $15 half pound burger, and at that point, you may as well go the fast food route because you really aren't doing so much for your health that eating a freshly grilled burger is going to make that much of a difference.

At the restaurant I work at now, we have a $30 steak - an 8 oz filet mignon with a port wine reduction. It's fantastic, but a tenderloin is not a low cost product and there isn't a lot of it. If we were to go with your pricing model, it would be a $35-40 steak, and through simple supply and demand, we'd sell it less and be able to afford fewer workers.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 01:33 PM)
At the restaurant I work at now, we have a $30 steak - an 8 oz filet mignon with a port wine reduction. It's fantastic, but a tenderloin is not a low cost product and there isn't a lot of it. If we were to go with your pricing model, it would be a $35-40 steak, and through simple supply and demand, we'd sell it less and be able to afford fewer workers.

But here's the problem. If I'm going to your restaurant and having that $30 steak...aren't I still expected and expecting to pay $37.50-$40 for it including the tip?

I'm not going to a restaurant to order a $30 steak without expecting to tip the waiter/waitress, and I'm not going to go to a restaurant less if the steak is listed as $38 but I don't have to pay the tip. The price is exactly the same to me.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
Simply put, yes, they ARE motivated idfferently than other service industry workers. the vast majority of servers are doing that job as a means to an end. that end being a day when they can pay their rent solely as an artist, actor, singer, musician. I don't give a s*** about my serving jobs, and that's why i bounce from restaurant to restaurant. Once the relationship stops working (ie: them getting pissed about me requesting time off for shows, swapping shifts because of auditions) I stop working for them and go somewhere else. My passion is acting. That's all I care about. Serving is, like I said, a necessary evil that goes with the territory, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy it or like it. Right?

I'm supposed to take pride in a job where b****y people like to do everything they can to pay me less and make it harder for me to make rent and have a decent quality of life, all because they thought the chicken pot pie was too watery? Yeah sorry no. Guess I'm not as good a person as you are Tex.

Then you probably shouldn't be b****y when you get treated with the same level of dedication on a compensatory basis.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 01:53 PM)
Then you probably shouldn't be b****y when you get treated with the same level of dedication on a compensatory basis.

i've already said this. I'm a good server. I'm good at what I do. But ONLY because I get tipped. If I didn't I wouldn't be.

not a tricky concept.