Leader in the clubhouse for...

Brian

If you take tips out of the equation, then a waiter's job is no different than any other customer service based job. So, that would mean that if you're getting paid your hourly wage, you are expected to give good customer service if you want to keep your job. There are parts of everyone's job that they don't paticularly like, but as a adult, you have to grin and bear it if you want to pay the rent. That's the "concept" I'm having trouble grasping.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tuna @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
If you take tips out of the equation, then a waiter's job is no different than any other customer service based job. So, that would mean that if you're getting paid your hourly wage, you are expected to give good customer service if you want to keep your job. There are parts of everyone's job that they don't paticularly like, but as a adult, you have to grin and bear it if you want to pay the rent. That's the "concept" I'm having trouble grasping.

but those jobs aren't reliant on your customers' mood to make your money.

Indirectly, of course they are. If they aren't happy with the service I give them then they go somewhere else. If my boss sees unhappy customers going to the competition, I don't have a job. Trust me, I know the customers you're talking about. I work in rental, after you deal with a bride's mother on her wedding day you'll get a new appreciation for what defines a difficult customer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 12:36 PM)
But here's the problem. If I'm going to your restaurant and having that $30 steak...aren't I still expected and expecting to pay $37.50-$40 for it including the tip?

I'm not going to a restaurant to order a $30 steak without expecting to tip the waiter/waitress, and I'm not going to go to a restaurant less if the steak is listed as $38 but I don't have to pay the tip. The price is exactly the same to me.

If you feel it was worth a 25-33% tip, sure. Or you could tip $6, which is way more than enough, and be right there. Or, if the service was poor, you could tip as little as $3. You are given free reign at that point in time to pay however much you want to pay.

Of course, this isn't assuming you are drinking something, which naturally you would. The point remains.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 06:23 PM)
If this were my restaurant, and this guy is a regular customer, the next time he comes in I tell him that we are adding an 18% gratuity to his bill and if he doesn't like it, he can eat elsewhere.

Spot on. This guy has a right to be a raging asshole, and the restaurant has a right to tell him to shove it.

My wife and I went out the other night and she got a steak and bbq chicken combo and I got a bbq ribs and chicken combo. My meal wasn't technically on the menu but since they serve both items they were nice enough to put them together for me for the price of one of the other combinations.

My chicken was perfect but when my wife tried hers it had a distinct fish taste to it. Like the cook had grilled some fish and not cleaned the grill before throwing the chicken on.

We mentioned it to the waitress and she said they would make a new one. By the time they brought it out we were pretty much finished so they put it in a box and actually comped one of our meals.

We honestly didn't expect that at all and since we knew it wasn't the waitresses fault we tipped her based on what the amount would've been for both meals, essentially giving her a 30% tip.

My best tipping story is the time we went to a restaurant and they included our 3-month old daughter who was still in a baby carrier in our group to get us up to 6 people which is when the automatic gratuity kicked in.

Then we were subjected to the worst restaurant experience of our lives where nearly everything we ordered they were out of. The topper was having my wife's sister, who by pure coincidence had come to the same restaurant we were at and was actually sitting at a separate table across the room from us, overhear our waitress complaining to the diners at another table about us.

We had the manager take the gratuity off and haven't been back since. That was about 13 years ago.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
but those jobs aren't reliant on your customers' mood to make your money.

Every single person I work with is my customer. Whether it is my staff or my bosses. It is my job to serve them/assist them, etc, and treat them in a professional manner. If it is my boss, it is my job to provide him with quality work on time and to assist him with projects and always offer various assistance. If it is my staff, it is my job to treat them with respect, teach them, and put them in positions to succeed and grow, as well as do what I can to help develop them and do anything I can to help them meet their future goals.

Whether I'm getting tipped or not, I'm evaluated every day (as are most professionals) on the types of job they do and that includes how you treat other people.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 05:47 PM)
Every single person I work with is my customer. Whether it is my staff or my bosses. It is my job to serve them/assist them, etc, and treat them in a professional manner. If it is my boss, it is my job to provide him with quality work on time and to assist him with projects and always offer various assistance. If it is my staff, it is my job to treat them with respect, teach them, and put them in positions to succeed and grow, as well as do what I can to help develop them and do anything I can to help them meet their future goals.

Whether I'm getting tipped or not, I'm evaluated every day (as are most professionals) on the types of job they do and that includes how you treat other people.

It's amazing you still have a job, Jason...

Just kidding!

Our company has the same philosophy. Even though I never speak to any of our customers in the traditional sense (people external to the company that purchase our product at the retail level), any person I work with at any level is considered my customer, even if it is within my own group or office.

I'll give an example of "customer service" in the Philippines.

The outsourced call center agents are fired on the spot the 2nd time they get any kind of negative customer feedback or a client/customer they have on the phone asks to speak to a supervisor.

Zero tolerance, even though in the majority of the situations, the fault lies more with the caller's impatience and frustration dealing with someone from the Phils or India who doesn't speak quite clearly enough to be well understood.

In that case, I've gotten a lot of people fired. As soon as I realize that I'm not getting the answer I want (or the person doesn't know what they talk about), I ask to speak to a supervisor. In no instance do I believe I call with a ridiculous request (I rarely if ever call, so If I'm calling, its cause I need something and I'm going to get what I want).

One of the best companies I've ever been associated with was Samtec in Indiana. Every department was titled Customer Service (XXX Done Here) It didn't matter if it was Engineering, Sales, Accounting, Logistics, Purchasing, they all were customer service. They also had a bunch of fun promotions and great spirit. The company culture thrived on who could go the furthest to help out a customer. The CEO was in the lead for answering the phone on a Sunday, finding the parts and driving 300 miles to deliver the order.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 07:09 PM)
I've gotten a lot of people fired. As soon as I realize that I'm not getting the answer I want (or the person doesn't know what they talk about), I ask to speak to a supervisor. In no instance do I believe I call with a ridiculous request (I rarely if ever call, so If I'm calling, its cause I need something and I'm going to get what I want).

Dickhead.

:lol:

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 11:18 AM)
Looks like this might have been a hoax. CBS-Los Angeles had a story up about it, but now it's gone:

"Restaurant Calls Photo Of Banker’s 1 Percent Tip, ‘Get A Real Job’ Message A Hoax "

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/02/27/...-newport-beach/

The restaurant told CBS2/KCAL9 that they have been receiving hundreds of phone calls and e-mails from people outraged over the reported story. They have confirmed that the receipt was changed and that the original receipt lists the meal as just over $30, with a 20 percent tip and no message aimed at the waitress.

Speaking of news agencies getting duped...