2012 Oscars Thread

Brian

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 11:23 PM)
First semi-surprise, Clooney loses to the French dude from THE ARTIST.

Wonder if we'll still remember:

the Actor in a Leading Role, Jean Dujardin

Director, Michel Hazanavicius

five years from now?

Not to assume that you were saying they were undeserving but I'm going to play devil's advocate here... Relate this back to baseball and the Gold Glove awards. Think of how many years there have been amazingly deserving candidates for a GG but they get beaten out because of the name-game candidates like Jeter and Hunter. Now bring it back to these lesser-to-unknown candidate winners of the Oscars: while we as casual observers may say the "Jeter" of the acting field should have won, the true advocates probably feel very happy that these lesser-known people got their due recognition.

The question of "wonder if we'll still remember ... in five years" is again pertinent in the GG discussion; while we (as baseball fans) know who DID win, we still talk about how SHOULD have won, and that's equally true in the entertainment world.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It goes back to Roberto Benini/Spielberg, the Avatar/Hurt Locker showdown...I was actually surprised that Clooney didn't win because he's such a media/charity/Hollywood darling these days, but I can't say that I can truthfully compare the two performances because I have't been able to watch THE ARTIST yet.

"Popular or mainstream" opinion (MTV/People's Choice/Golden Globes, etc.) will always give the big stars and the movies that at least 25% of the people have seen a big advantage.

Actually, as an avid movie watcher, I enjoy discovering movies that have great performances that I might not have otherwise watched, like Michael Shannon in Take Shelter, A Better Life, A Separation, etc.

I'm sure I'll also watch THE IRON LADY now just to see Streep's performance.

HURT LOCKER

Domestic: $17,017,811 34.6%

+ Foreign: $32,212,961 65.4%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Worldwide: $49,230,772

THE ARTIST

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $31,874,000 41.6%

+ Foreign: $44,672,305 58.4% (mostly from France)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Worldwide: $76,546,305

We Need To Talk About Kevin is a movie that was TOO dark for the Academy to recognize, too disturbing, but Tilda Swinton totally deserved a nomination for that performance, and I'm not even a fan of hers.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 12:39 AM)
I enjoyed Moneyball, but it was a good, not great movie. I wonder how much of that is being familiar with the book and Beane/The A's. My sister saw it, and texted me today that she thought it would walk away with some hardware.

Honestly thought Sherlock was way better.

*ducks*

The second Shelock Holmes movie? REALLY?

Two more shoutouts...UNDEFEATED (not the one about Sarah Palin) and MIDNIGHT IN PARIS, a very whimsical but entertaining picture I would have enjoyed more when studying Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Salvador Dali and Gertrude Stein in university lit classes.

Edited by caulfield12

I could buy the argument the first Sherlock Holmes, with McAdams more of a presence and a less convoluted/labyrinthine plot...that was perhaps better than Moneyball. Maybe being too familiar with the material and knowing all the factual inaccuracies beforehand made the Pitt movie a bit annoying, or maybe it was my anti-Beane bias that colored my viewing experience negatively.

I really wish UNDEFEATED was around here for me to see.

I actually fell asleep right after Director was announced. Streep? Come on. Viola Davis should of won by a landslide.

Honestly thought they would give it to Clooney even though the guy from The Artist was better. They tend to give Oscars to people Hollywood likes often. See Bullock and Julia Roberts.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 03:57 AM)

I actually fell asleep right after Director was announced. Streep? Come on. Viola Davis should of won by a landslide.

Honestly thought they would give it to Clooney even though the guy from The Artist was better. They tend to give Oscars to people Hollywood likes often. See Bullock and Julia Roberts.

Yeah, I was surprised that Clooney didn't get his lifetime achievement Oscar nod last night.

One thing I have a slight problem with is how obvious it was that Christopher Plummer and Meryl Streep were going to win. It's like, now that they're old they have to win. All the sudden, Streep can't lose, and these stupid "Oscars for the olds" are screwing over those deserving who will never get another chance.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 01:33 PM)
One thing I have a slight problem with is how obvious it was that Christopher Plummer and Meryl Streep were going to win. It's like, now that they're old they have to win. All the sudden, Streep can't lose, and these stupid "Oscars for the olds" are screwing over those deserving who will never get another chance.

Plummer completely deserved it though. He was amazing in Beginners

and Steep hadn't won since 1982. That is HARDLY "Streep can't lose"

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 10:23 PM)
First semi-surprise, Clooney loses to the French dude from THE ARTIST.

Wonder if we'll still remember:

the Actor in a Leading Role, Jean Dujardin

Director, Michel Hazanavicius

five years from now?

How was that a surprise? I knew each winner for this year without seeing any of the movies. It was all incredibly obvious. I know I didn't post it on here, but I don't care if anyone doesn't believe me :D

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 11:26 PM)
Not to assume that you were saying they were undeserving but I'm going to play devil's advocate here... Relate this back to baseball and the Gold Glove awards. Think of how many years there have been amazingly deserving candidates for a GG but they get beaten out because of the name-game candidates like Jeter and Hunter. Now bring it back to these lesser-to-unknown candidate winners of the Oscars: while we as casual observers may say the "Jeter" of the acting field should have won, the true advocates probably feel very happy that these lesser-known people got their due recognition.

The question of "wonder if we'll still remember ... in five years" is again pertinent in the GG discussion; while we (as baseball fans) know who DID win, we still talk about how SHOULD have won, and that's equally true in the entertainment world.

Thankfully there weren't any Holocaust movies this year to steal any awards they didn't deserve :ph34r:

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 03:57 AM)

And Sean Penn. Another thing I hate is the way the Academy pushes their own agenda. They love straight guys who play stereotypically flaming homosexuals, and the Holocaust thing I mentioned earlier. I hated that they gave Jamie Foxx Best Actor for playing Ray Charles when both Leonardo DiCaprio and Don Cheadle were better that year. And in doing so, it screwed Joaquin Phoenix the following year (not giving the same award to another guy playing a recently-deceased music legend in back-to-back years) when they gave it to PSH for Capote. Adrien Brody stole Daniel Day-Lewis' in 2003, Roberto Benigni stole everyone's, Mickey Rourke getting robbed in favor of Penn, etc. They love to push their agenda.

Edited by Milkman delivers

The Pianist and Life Is Beautiful being two examples...Saving Private Ryan actually got screwed a bit, although that wasn't a "Holocaust flick" per se.

As for milkman's comment, one month ago, Clooney was the clear favorite. Then the tides shifted suddenly (one of the reasons was the relatively weak box office for Descendants) and the Weinstein Brother's marketing and PR blitz ended up carrying the day for THE ARTIST.

Then again, Descendants nearly doubled the box office for THE ARTIST...so the "compromise" was probably giving them the Oscar for best adapted screenplay.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 05:00 PM)
And Sean Penn. Another thing I hate is the way the Academy pushes their own agenda. They love straight guys who play stereotypically flaming homosexuals, and the Holocaust thing I mentioned earlier. I hated that they gave Jamie Foxx Best Actor for playing Ray Charles when both Leonardo DiCaprio and Don Cheadle were better that year. And in doing so, it screwed Joaquin Phoenix the following year (not giving the same award to another guy playing a recently-deceased music legend in back-to-back years) when they gave it to PSH for Capote. Adrien Brody stole Daniel Day-Lewis' in 2003, Roberto Benigni stole everyone's, Mickey Rourke getting robbed in favor of Penn, etc. They love to push their agenda.

Don't forget playing someone with a handicap, mental or otherwise

I'll just give an example from a few years ago. They were announcing the nominees for Best Short Film (or Best Foreign Short if that even exists, just one of those categories nobody cares about). I knew nothing about any of them two seconds before, but they gave a quick synopsis of each movie as they announced them as nominees. As soon as the one was listed as some person's experience during the Holocaust, I turned to the people I was with and said "that's gonna win." It did.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 02:10 AM)
Don't forget playing someone with a handicap, mental or otherwise

New movie idea: beautiful actress/handsome actor is given significant makeup job to make them look ugly/plain. They play a mentally-handicapped Jew escaping the Holocaust.

3 Oscars minimum

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)
New movie idea: beautiful actress/handsome actor is given significant makeup job to make them look ugly/plain. They play a mentally-handicapped Jew escaping the Holocaust.

3 Oscars minimum

Watch the episode of "American Dad" titled "Tearjerker." It should air again tonight at 12:30 on Adult Swim.

Edited by JPN366