White Sox TV Crew Rated Last

HuskyCaucasian

was this posted anywhere?

FanGraphs -

Beginning in late November, we’ve spent much of the offseason asking readers to rate the television broadcast teams (on a scale of 1-5 for charisma, analysis, and then overall) for all 30 major-league clubs — with the intention, ultimately, of determining which broadcasts might best reflect the sorts of inquiry and analysis performed here at the site.

Now the results from the ballots for all 30 teams (including two for the Dodgers, who have distinct home and away broadcasters) have been collected and will be published here over the course of the week.

----

31. Chicago White Sox

Broadcasters: Hawk Harrelson and Steve Stone

Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 2.1, 2.2, 2.0

Three Reader Comments

• “The broadcast questions are a bit misleading because Steve Stone is excellent and Hawk Harrelson is not. I am not quite as bothered by Hawk’s problems as others but he can be unbearable to listen to.”

• “Harrelson is a whiny homer. But at least he is a whiny homer with some personality.”

• “In a perfect perdition, Hawk Harrelson would be forced to listen to himself for eternity.”

Notes

It’d be easier to describe Hawk Harrelson as a “polarizing” figure among FanGraphs readers if there were more respondents who defended him. While I, personally, am less put off by Harrelson’s antics than many readers — and, in fact, prefer him to certain broadcasters who appear to revel in blandness and polish — there’s no question that Harrelson is entirely himself. One note: one respondent left a 389-word note regarding the Harrelson-Stone team. That’s nearly as long as many posts on this site, and indicative of the sort of powerful feelings Harrelson is capable of provoking.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't understand why being a "homer" is a negative for local broadcasters. Only Chicago listens to him, he is not broadcasting for ESPN or FOX. I like having an announcer that roots for the team along with me. There are times when his one-sidedness bothers me, but its still better than having a lot of other guys out there.

I can tolerate Hawk for what he is. For better or worse, he's White Sox baseball for me, and he's what I'll hear long after he's gone and some sugar free vanilla ice cream takes his place. Stoney's sense of humor doesn't get the chance to shine with Hawk like it did with Farmer. Those two personalities were made for each other. I hardly caught any of DJ's last year on tv when I discovered the radio crack that was the Stone/Farmer booth. I realize I'm in the minority here with my Farmer fandom, but if gold made an audible sound, that would be it. If I go to heaven after my death, the sound coming from the harps the angels play will be Farmio calls.

Anyone else get a kick out of how uninterested Stone looks when they bring people in to push this charity or that cause during games? So unfortunate for the person he's interviewing, so awesome for whoever is watching it. Sometimes that conversation goes similarly to how I'd imagine it would if he accidentally picked up the phone while he's in the bathroom making bm.

Yeah, I don't think a baseball announcer for a specific team should be lauded for being a "homer". It's HIS team. Only fans of the Sox generally listen to Hawk. He is not catering to the opponent, they have their own announcers.

That being sad, Hawk is still not very good. He rambles, talks about the past way too much, and uses old and weird metaphors for lots of things.

It's unfair that Steve Stone was lumped in to this "rating". If it was list the best 60 broadcasters, Steve Stone would probably be top 10, but being paired with Hawk will drive his "value" WAYYYYYYYY down.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
I still don't understand why being a "homer" is a negative for local broadcasters. Only Chicago listens to him, he is not broadcasting for ESPN or FOX. I like having an announcer that roots for the team along with me. There are times when his one-sidedness bothers me, but its still better than having a lot of other guys out there.

This times a million.

I grew up on Hawk. I always thought that all local announcers rooted for their teams very openly.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 11:13 PM)
Next they'll be comparing bathrooms from stadium to stadium.

At least the Cell should score higher than Wrigley. But, maybe they'd give Wrigley points for being "old school" and "rustic".

Plus Cubs fans can pee on each other

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 05:13 PM)
Next they'll be comparing bathrooms from stadium to stadium.

At least the Cell should score higher than Wrigley. But, maybe they'd give Wrigley points for being "old school" and "rustic".

That's not "rustic", that's "rusty."

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 11:50 PM)
Hawk can be annoying as hell but there are some announcing crews that are absolutely boring. And any tandem with Steve Stone can't be last unless his partner has the voice of Gilbert Gottfried.

There are some real annoying ones out there for sure and I don't think Hawk and Stone are that bad. They are company men for sure and try and make the best light of some bad stuff, but they aren't on the bottom

Edited by elrockinMT

What a bunch of s***! I have MLB Extra Innings...there are some BRUTAL broadcasting teams out there. Sometimes Hawk gets annoying...yes...but I couldn't imagine having anybody else right now. I do miss Wimpy...Stone bores me to tears. I wasn't a huge fan of DJ...but Stone just absolutely puts me to sleep. Worst team...hardly.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
This times a million.

I grew up on Hawk. I always thought that all local announcers rooted for their teams very openly.

I'm confused by non-homer announcers.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 05:50 PM)
Why is there 31?

Dodgers have two broadcast teams for home and away.