New York City

Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
Yeah, I couldn't believe how expensive Broadway tickets are. StubHub is actually below face.

I got the wife tickets for Wicked and Joseph over the years. It was multiple times more expensive than good baseball tickets (without getting into the all inclusive tickets).

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with staying in Jersey, either Newark or East Rutherford are ideal because they have a NJ transit line. You'll save a ton of money doing so and the NJ Transit leaves you at the bottom of Madison Square Garden once you commute into Manhattan.

If you've never been to times square, get it out of the way the first day, buy your family their I

If you want to do something touristy I recommend doing one of the double decker bus tours (as long as its nice outside). I've taken visiting family on about 6 of those and each time I learn something that I didn't know before about Manhattan. Also they have stops where you can get off and explore the neighborhood at your leisure and you can hop on the next double decker bus just by showing your ticket/receipt.

I don't recommend taking cabs while in Manhattan unless its a short trip, with the immense traffic you will most likely be getting charged for just sitting at a jam packed red light for 20 minutes. I recommend taking the train to get from point A to point B (you'll also get a great view of Splinter and his ninja turtles, seriously....).

Theres about a billion awesome restaurants to go to obviously, yelp can be your best friend here.

If you're a geek like me i recommend taking a trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met), it has an amazing collection and the building itself is incredible, and pretty conveniently located within Central Park.

Hope you have fun!

Edited by flippedoutpunk

Agreed on Times Square. I hate that place. If you've never been go for the experience but go and get out. There's so much more to do. As for what to do, it really depends on what you're interested in. There are comedy clubs, bars, restaurants, shopping, food etc..

If you're looking for a cheap knockoff or want to grab a designer whatever from a sketchy alley go to Canal St. Little Italy and Chinatown are right there too if those interest you. Union Square has some interesting places - Max Brenner (Chocolate by the Bald Man) is there and that's a neat little chocolate shop/restaurant. Brooklyn has some nice comedy clubs, Upper East Side has some good eatiers and pubs, lower east side has a younger night life crowd if you're into that. The Canal Room is a fun 80's/90's club. Gansevort Hotel has a gorgeous rooftop club/bar. There's Rock Center, shopping up and down Madison and Park, the Diamond District is in midtown, Eleven Madison Park is one of the best restaurants in the world, Bohemian Beer Hall is Astoria (Queens) is a European themed outdoor beer hall, Johnny Utah's is a country rock bar with a mechanical bull right across from Radio City Music Hall, Heidelberg (Upper East Side, 86th and 2nd i think) is an authentic German restaurant that was featured on Tony Bourdain, etc...

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
Our two days are pretty planned out already. We have our passes reserved for the 9/11 memorial, tickets reserved for The Comedy Cellar, a class booked at Barry's Bootcamp, and reservations at Candle79 (vegan), Butter (Alex Guarnaschelli), and The Lamb's Club (Geoff Zacarian), and a whole lot of other ideas in between.

I cannot wait.

I was thinking of Butter but the reviews kinda threw me off, please let us know how it is! Inside of it looks amazing

The one time I went to NY and had to get my own hotel, we got a room in Secaucus NJ at a nice hotel for $99/night. The hotel had a free shuttle to the NJ Transit station, and it was only a 10 minute train ride to Penn Station.

There is a website called betterbidding.com where you can see exactly what rates and hotels people have been getting on Priceline and Hotwire.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 01:19 AM)
Also tentatively planning to visit NYC and catch a Yankee or Met game with a friend I used to work with at who's at grad school out there. Depending on her schedule it might even be the Sox we see.

Citi field is more fun than Yankee stadium. More of an open stadium and laid back atmosphere. At Yankee stadium everyone is so anal about everything and it's not as enjoyable.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
Citi field is more fun than Yankee stadium. More of an open stadium and laid back atmosphere. At Yankee stadium everyone is so anal about everything and it's not as enjoyable.

And if you wear white sox gear prepare to get heckled. A lot. Yankee fans are the worst. I still go to all the Sox games tho. :)

Going to be spending 2 weeks there in late May, can't wait to go back there.

For those looking for cheap accomodation out of Manhattan, try the Westin in Newport / Jersey City. You can get the PATH Train from Newport to 33rd Street, which takes about 10-15 mins. Bit of a nightmare at night though, trains only run every half an hour past 12.

I'm going to checkout some of the foodie recommendations from here, I was living on Intern's wages the last time I was there so could hardly afford to splurge. If you're after a good burger though, the Burger Joint at the Parker Meridian on W 57th St do an excellent one, highly recommend it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)
So what is the best way to get from LaGuardia to essentially the WTC site? Is there a train that runs between the areas?

take a cab to midtown then jump on either the E,N,R, or 5 depending on where you get dropped off. Honestly LGA is tough via anything but cab.

So what is the best way to get from LaGuardia to essentially the WTC site? Is there a train that runs between the areas?

Depends on how you value time and convenience in relation to expense.

Take cab entire distance = fastest & most convenient but most expensive

Take cab to midtown and then E or R train = moderate time, convenience and expense

Take the 33 bus to Jackson Heights and then E or R train = least convenient and least expensive but most time-consuming

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 02:39 PM)
Depends on how you value time and convenience in relation to expense.

Take cab entire distance = fastest & most convenient but most expensive

Take cab to midtown and then E or R train = moderate time, convenience and expense

Take the 33 bus to Jackson Heights and then E or R train = least convenient and least expensive but most time-consuming

How expensive are we talking to cab it?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 03:45 PM)
How expensive are we talking to cab it?

I would be looking at $50+ to cab it to WTC from LGA. You're gonna likely have a toll on one of those bridges.

I would totally recommend, if you are going to eat in Chinatown - to go to Joe's Shanghai. (Specifically that restaurant and not one of the six imitators named Joe's Ginger etc.) and get the soup dumplings. It's a pork dumpling that is filled with pork and soup. It's amazing.

Also, there's great Thai food in Hell's Kitchen. (There's a lot of great food in Hell's Kitchen, in general.)

If you want to save money by staying in NJ, but still feel like you are in Manhattan, I'd recommend staying at the Hyatt Exchange Place in Jersey City, or the Westin Newport Jersey City. Both are 4+ star hotels with amazing skyline views because they are on the Hudson and both are steps away from PATH subway trains between Jersey City and New York. Cost is $2.00 per person to scoot across the river, and the trains run 24/7, unlike New Jersey Transit.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 11:11 AM)
I would be looking at $50+ to cab it to WTC from LGA. You're gonna likely have a toll on one of those bridges.

I would totally recommend, if you are going to eat in Chinatown - to go to Joe's Shanghai. (Specifically that restaurant and not one of the six imitators named Joe's Ginger etc.) and get the soup dumplings. It's a pork dumpling that is filled with pork and soup. It's amazing.

Also, there's great Thai food in Hell's Kitchen. (There's a lot of great food in Hell's Kitchen, in general.)

If you want to save money by staying in NJ, but still feel like you are in Manhattan, I'd recommend staying at the Hyatt Exchange Place in Jersey City, or the Westin Newport Jersey City. Both are 4+ star hotels with amazing skyline views because they are on the Hudson and both are steps away from PATH subway trains between Jersey City and New York. Cost is $2.00 per person to scoot across the river, and the trains run 24/7, unlike New Jersey Transit.

The hotel is paid for by work, so that isn't a problem, but thanks for the tip. The guy I am working with picked the place. We will make the trip out to Jersey for an afternoon though, as we have a satellite office over there I am going to visit. Sounds like we are taking the PATH over, and the Ferry back.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
If you sit in the first PATH car, you can see what the conductor sees out the front of the car, its kind of cool if you're a train nerd. Not that I would know or anything.

I totally get that. I do that every once in a while on the South Shore. I love sitting at the top of the double deckers for the views.

If you sit in the first PATH car, you can see what the conductor sees out the front of the car, its kind of cool if you're a train nerd. Not that I would know or anything.

You mean engineer, conductors dont operate the train they coordinate crew and passengers. I'm guessing the MTA doesnt even have them anymore.

Just sayin'

You'll also probably get to meet Teddy the PATH Bum (youtube him if you want to see more info).

Rex I'm going to definitely try those places in Chinatown when I visit in May, Chinatown was really the one place I didn't eat at much actually, so definitely looking forward to checking those out.