New York City

Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 01:11 PM)
Does the "Living" list take into account the odds of the entire area being destroyed in a natural disaster?

or spending 2 hours a day in traffic? LA is a terrible. TERRIBLE place to live.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 08:07 PM)
Places to eat

Marlow and Sons - Brooklyn

Birreria on top of Eataly

ABC Kitchen

Momofuku Ssam Bar

Momofuku Milk Bar

Luke's Lobster

Ess-A-Bagel

Wafels and Dinges

Big Gay Ice Cream Shop

Signature Vendors at Madison Square Garden are also amazing, by FAR the best food I have ever eaten at a stadium

Many is the time, I've drunkenly tried to get Wafel truck to reopen for me. It worked once.

Would add to this:

Joe's Shanghai for Soup Dumplings

Kebab Heaven

Pommes Frites

Khyber Pass

Caracas Arepa Bar

Black Iron Burger

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 09:56 AM)
are you kidding me? LA is terrible. Miami even worse.

and Y2HH you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm pretty sure your opinions are based off tv shows.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
My order would be:

Vacation: New York >>>>> Los Angeles > Chicago >>>>> Miami

Live: Chicago >>>>>>> Los Angeles > New York >>>>>> Miami

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
Does the "Living" list take into account the odds of the entire area being destroyed in a natural disaster?

How is LA terrible? Beautiful women, beautiful weather. You have a metropolis with a beach and mountains all combined into one. And I dare someone else to say traffic as some of you have mentioned. You do realize Chicago and Washington DC tied with the worst traffic congestion in the nation, right? LA is third. So if you deal with Chicago traffic, you should be able to deal with LA traffic. Housing is the only negative, which brings the cost of living up in LA much much higher. Everything else is pretty much average in terms of taxes and such.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...1012000056.html

And being destroyed by a natural disaster? Really? Is that how we're going to disprove living somewhere? Anything can happen anywhere at anytime. We had the Great Chicago Fire. Midwest as a whole has tornados. We've also had flooding. The south/southeast has hurricanes, the east also gets hurricanes, and a snowstorm can wipe you out days at a time. In terms of big cities, LA is the winner.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
And being destroyed by a natural disaster? Really? Is that how we're going to disprove living somewhere? Anything can happen anywhere at anytime. We had the Great Chicago Fire. Midwest as a whole has tornados. We've also had flooding. The south/southeast has hurricanes, the east also gets hurricanes, and a snowstorm can wipe you out days at a time. In terms of big cities, LA is the winner.

While yes, you have a point, you are also deliberately ignoring the law of averages.

New York is like LA-west. Insufferable group of people living who come from across the country to live in their cherished yuppie disneyland. I dont hate yuppies even, but christ give them an entire city and it becomes just so unbelievably boring. I know they did it because they had some issues with crime and garbage, but they went way overboard.

Take the north side of Chicago, multiply everything that sucks about it by 1000, give it some amazing architecture and you have New York City. I was so let down, I went in expecting the concrete jungle but instead got a really giant subway network connecting a bunch of s*** that was almost completely identical. Oh man, and Williamsburg... please someone just drop 5 or 6 daisy cutters on that place, do the world a favor.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)
New York is like LA-west. Insufferable group of people living who come from across the country to live in their cherished yuppie disneyland. I dont hate yuppies even, but christ give them an entire city and it becomes just so unbelievably boring. I know they did it because they had some issues with crime and garbage, but they went way overboard.

Take the north side of Chicago, multiply everything that sucks about it by 1000, give it some amazing architecture and you have New York City. I was so let down, I went in expecting the concrete jungle but instead got a really giant subway network connecting a bunch of s*** that was almost completely identical. Oh man, and Williamsburg... please someone just drop 5 or 6 daisy cutters on that place, do the world a favor.

Williamsburg is terrible. Midtown is terrible. Been anywhere else?

and most people in NYC are either business people or artists... an entire city of artists is anything but boring.

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 06:43 PM)
Williamsburg is terrible. Midtown is terrible. Been anywhere else?

and most people in NYC are either business people or artists... an entire city of artists is anything but boring.

I know you're an actor and all but an entire city of artists sounds like hell.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 07:25 PM)
I know you're an actor and all but an entire city of artists sounds like hell.

not THAT kind of artist.

the we-actually-make-a-living-doing-it artist. those kinds are much less obnoxious.

Edited by Reddy

As a tourist, LA is a nightmare to get around compared to New York.

I love New York simply for the fact you can probably get to where you want to go within 30 mins. Compare that to other major cities in the world such as London etc. and it's not possible.

Yes, because with that you get the weather and the beaches. It's still close with NY, but I rate Chicago far higher and Miami far lower than both.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 05:50 AM)
Yes, because with that you get the weather and the beaches. It's still close with NY, but I rate Chicago far higher and Miami far lower than both.

after living in Chicago for five years and NYC for two now... Chicago's just so boring in comparison. I mean it's beautiful and clean and the people are nice. But... it's so white bread and american cheese.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 07:17 AM)
after living in Chicago for five years and NYC for two now... Chicago's just so boring in comparison. I mean it's beautiful and clean and the people are nice. But... it's so white bread and american cheese.

Chicago isn't boring at all, it all depends on your lifestyle, etc. What are you into, what do you like to do? Guarantee a lifestyle that fits it exists in Chicago...you just have to be willing to go there. It all depends on what you find "exciting".

I find White Bread and American Cheese exciting, btw. :P

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 06:24 AM)
Chicago isn't boring at all, it all depends on your lifestyle, etc. What are you into, what do you like to do? Guarantee a lifestyle that fits it exists in Chicago...you just have to be willing to go there. It all depends on what you find "exciting".

I find White Bread and American Cheese exciting, btw. :P

i feel like the two halves of the city stay really segregated. I almost never went on the south side except to see white sox games. and that being the case - the loop isn't all that exciting, and wrigleyville is wrigleyville. other than those places - where is there that isn't boring? (i do love chicago for the record, just... not as much as NYC)

there isn't that separation in NYC - you wanna go to Chinatown to get the freshest seafood EVER, it's no biggie. You wanna go up to Harlem to experience some great restaurants, you can. I even go to the bronx for box-store trips like target/best buy, and for yankee-sox games. You've got the greatest entertainment in the world, the best park in the world, the best restaurants in the world, beaches, access to the whole east coast - which includes great wine-country, hiking, anything outdoorsy. Outside Chicago is just flat suburbia as far as you can drive in any direction. And there are bodegas and delis on EVERY corner. That alone kicks Chicago in the pants.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 07:38 AM)
i feel like the two halves of the city stay really segregated. I almost never went on the south side except to see white sox games. and that being the case - the loop isn't all that exciting, and wrigleyville is wrigleyville. other than those places - where is there that isn't boring? (i do love chicago for the record, just... not as much as NYC)

there isn't that separation in NYC - you wanna go to Chinatown to get the freshest seafood EVER, it's no biggie. You wanna go up to Harlem to experience some great restaurants, you can. I even go to the bronx for box-store trips like target/best buy, and for yankee-sox games. You've got the greatest entertainment in the world, the best park in the world, the best restaurants in the world, beaches, access to the whole east coast - which includes great wine-country, hiking, anything outdoorsy. Outside Chicago is just flat suburbia as far as you can drive in any direction. And there are bodegas and delis on EVERY corner. That alone kicks Chicago in the pants.

There are awesome restaurants in the Oak Brook, downtown area, etc. Not to mention to numerous lounges in the City itself.

Chicago has awesome museums all along the lakefront.

As I said, Chicago and it's very close surrounding suburbs have just as much to offer, you just have to look for it, OR, be into that sort of thing.

And for the record, Chicago has higher rated restaurants than NY...this isn't 1990 anymore. ;)

NY simply has everything in closer proximity, which in some ways is convenient, and some ways annoying because of overcrowding. I much prefer traveling an hour outside of the City to go hiking, etc...keeps the crowds to a minimum.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 06:46 AM)
There are awesome restaurants in the Oak Brook, downtown area, etc.

Chicago has awesome museums all along the lakefront.

As I said, Chicago and it's very close surround suburbs have just as much to offer, you just have to look for it, OR, be into that sort of thing.

And Chicago has higher rated restaurants than NY...this isn't 1990 anymore. ;)

i'll tell ya the truth - i don't eat out much cuz i'm broke. :P but that's the other thing. a car is a necessity in Chicago. In NYC you can do everything I mentioned without one. Saves lotsa $$

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 07:55 AM)
i'll tell ya the truth - i don't eat out much cuz i'm broke. :P but that's the other thing. a car is a necessity in Chicago. In NYC you can do everything I mentioned without one. Saves lotsa $$

I actually had just amended my post mentioning this about NY and everything being in closer proximity. To you, it would be an advantage...but I am very anti-public transportation. While it can make travel cheap and convenient, and cut emissions, it's also a hub/petri dish that cultivates the spread of germs and illnesses throughout a City. No thanks to sharing rides with that. :D

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 07:55 AM)

That's not true at all, I know plenty of people living in Chicago without a car.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 08:01 AM)
I actually had just amended my post mentioning this about NY and everything being in closer proximity. To you, it would be an advantage...but I am very anti-public transportation. While it can make travel cheap and convenient, and cut emissions, it's also a hub/petri dish that cultivates the spread of germs and illnesses throughout a City. No thanks to sharing rides with that. :D

haha touche. i just eat super healthy and take supplements and i don't get sick!

although in reality it's probably because your body builds up immunities by being in more constant contact with all the germs. Nonetheless, you are correct - cars are definitely cleaner. The NYC subways are... really kinda gross. But they make up for it in efficiency.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 08:02 AM)
That's not true at all, I know plenty of people living in Chicago without a car.

true - but to experience anything outside the city limits, you do. I lived there for 2 years without a car and 3 with, and while I didn't have a car I always said "I don't need one, this is great!". Then I GOT my car and would never, never go back.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 08:04 AM)
true - but to experience anything outside the city limits, you do. I lived there for 2 years without a car and 3 with, and while I didn't have a car I always said "I don't need one, this is great!". Then I GOT my car and would never, never go back.

Yes to this. For example, to avoid big crowds, going to Oak Brook is some of the best shopping/restaurants there is...traveling there without a car would simply take too long.

That, and then you'd have to ride public transportation with a lot of dirty, germ infested strangers. :D

I know this is a Chicago-centric board and must of us live there or within close proximity, but come on, you cannot compare Chicago to New York. Chicago feels like one New York block in comparison, it's so small.

And yes, New York seems like an endless road to discovery, while Chicago is very segmented (though a poster earlier did not mention Wicker Park which is probably my favorite area of the city).

I love Chicago, but New York is just wild. However, Chicago is definitely paced right - I don't know that I could live in NY for an extended period of time.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 06:08 AM)
Yes to this. For example, to avoid big crowds, going to Oak Brook is some of the best shopping/restaurants there is...traveling there without a car would simply take too long.

That, and then you'd have to ride public transportation with a lot of dirty, germ infested strangers. :D

I'd suggest you quit at this point. You're starting to sound like an old man with kids.