New York City

Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)
This is why God invented Google Maps. The joker who picked us up from LaGuardia had an interesting start to the ride, and I corrected him almost immediately and then we got down to business.

It would be really nice to have a subway line that runs direct to downtown. That was the one crappy thing about getting around there. Everything else was super easy. I love walking, so that helped too.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:26 AM)
The best pizza I've had in NYC was probably long after 3am from one of those corner spots. THATS where and when the NYC food shines. The Halal cart by the NYC Hilton is fantastic after a night of drinking.

I stayed at that Hilton. I could not believe the lines for that place during all hours. They were like 50 deep at 10pm on a weeknight. Crazy.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)
This is why God invented Google Maps. The joker who picked us up from LaGuardia had an interesting start to the ride, and I corrected him almost immediately and then we got down to business.

Yeah, they kind of gauge how far they can take you out of the way. One of the girls that worked for me when I was in NYC alot took like an hour and a half cab ride. She was staying at the Hilton just south of central park and the cab took her all the way down through battery park up on surface streets through the lower and upper west side and then back around central park to the hotel. Basically a tour of manhattan. Hilarious.

Red Egg in Chinatown was a great spot when we visited New York. Also, vegan restaurant called Candle 79 was out of this world.

And obviously, Mario Batali's Eataly (easy to find next to the Flat Iron Building) was an awesome mixture of food market and tons of restaurants.

We packed so much into our 2.5 days that I can't really type it up, but those were just some of the tasties enjoyed.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:26 AM)
I stayed at that Hilton. I could not believe the lines for that place during all hours. They were like 50 deep at 10pm on a weeknight. Crazy.

HAHA, I knew someone would have seen that cart. Its kind of famous. Theres also a hilarious bar down the street call Point Break, yup its a Patrick Swayze themed bar.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)
HAHA, I knew someone would have seen that cart. Its kind of famous. Theres also a hilarious bar down the street call Point Break, yup its a Patrick Swayze themed bar.

We hit up a cart for lunch up near central park for Philly steaks that were just incredible (it would be a couple of blocks in from the southeast corner of CP). Not a big fan of Halal, nor lines, so I didn't do that one.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
Yeah, they kind of gauge how far they can take you out of the way. One of the girls that worked for me when I was in NYC alot took like an hour and a half cab ride. She was staying at the Hilton just south of central park and the cab took her all the way down through battery park up on surface streets through the lower and upper west side and then back around central park to the hotel. Basically a tour of manhattan. Hilarious.

Yeah, some people are way too trusting.

I will say, again, how much better the regulated cabs in NYC are than the Chicago cab situation.

all yall saying you can find NYC pizza in Chicago are straight up lying. It's my favorite thing ever, and if that were true, I'd have known about it. :P

and if you all didn't fold it in half - you weren't eating it right. it's easier to eat if you do that.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
all yall saying you can find NYC pizza in Chicago are straight up lying. It's my favorite thing ever, and if that were true, I'd have known about it. :P

and if you all didn't fold it in half - you weren't eating it right. it's easier to eat if you do that.

I folded it in half. It was just ok. NYC pizza is nothing special at all. I've had frozen pizzas that are better.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)
I folded it in half. It was just ok. NYC pizza is nothing special at all. I've had frozen pizzas that are better.

that's straight blasphemy.

remind me where you got it? i don't really wanna go back and look. But the place that I get it from up on 181st street - now that s*** is the real deal.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:43 AM)

remind me where you got it? i don't really wanna go back and look. But the place that I get it from up on 181st street - now that s*** is the real deal.

Due to love of Seinfeld, I had Famous Original Ray's. However, it was not at the nexus of the universe. It was next door to "The Irish Pub" in Times Square after watching Final Four action.

I was wasted, so I expected to be blown away. I was more 'meh'.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
We hit up a cart for lunch up near central park for Philly steaks that were just incredible (it would be a couple of blocks in from the southeast corner of CP). Not a big fan of Halal, nor lines, so I didn't do that one.

Ill look for that next time. I typically stay down in Tribecca so I dont make it up there all that often.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)
Due to love of Seinfeld, I had Famous Original Ray's. However, it was not at the nexus of the universe. It was next door to "The Irish Pub" in Times Square after watching Final Four action.

I was wasted, so I expected to be blown away. I was more 'meh'.

hmm. you sure it wasn't Famous Rays Original? or Original Famous Rays? or Original Rays Famous? or Ray's Famous Original?

They all exist. All independently owned and operated. How ridiculous is that?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)
Ill look for that next time. I typically stay down in Tribecca so I dont make it up there all that often.

you can head over to union square and there are 800 awesome food trucks. you could just eat food truck food for a week. lol

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
hmm. you sure it wasn't Famous Rays Original? or Original Famous Rays? or Original Rays Famous? or Ray's Famous Original?

And they all taste different. Ive had that one near times square, it sucked, bad.

Ive also had some similar pizza down by the Smyth where I usually stay and its awesome.

Ray's Original Famous and Famous Original Ray's can't be far behind.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
Ray's Original Famous and Famous Original Ray's can't be far behind.

haha i honestly forget which exist and which dont... but i wouldn't be suprised if they all do.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:43 AM)

Sbarro's

tumblr_ljfaa0P1iy1qgdqofo1_500.jpg

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)
Deep dish is so far and away better. I hate my pizza to crunch. It just isn't right.

I don't even consider them the same food really. I like both but usually get thin-crust more often than not.

I've heard that cutting the pizza into little squares is a very Chicago-style thing.