New York City

Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
I don't even consider them the same food really. I like both but usually get thin-crust more often than not.

I've heard that cutting the pizza into little squares is a very Chicago-style thing.

To me there is normal and then there is the NYC thin thing. Usually I get the regular, but if I can, I get deep. The thin is awful.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
Yeah, they kind of gauge how far they can take you out of the way. One of the girls that worked for me when I was in NYC alot took like an hour and a half cab ride. She was staying at the Hilton just south of central park and the cab took her all the way down through battery park up on surface streets through the lower and upper west side and then back around central park to the hotel. Basically a tour of manhattan. Hilarious.

This story made me seriously LOL, thanks

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 02:34 PM)
True Brooklyn thin crust pizza is pretty crunchy actually.

yeah thinking about it i guess so... just when he said crunchy it made me think of the stuff in chicago that passes for thin crust pizza. ya know with a stiff crust instead of one that'll flop on ya.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 03:58 AM)
As a tourist, LA is a nightmare to get around compared to New York.

I love New York simply for the fact you can probably get to where you want to go within 30 mins. Compare that to other major cities in the world such as London etc. and it's not possible.

Eh, that's not true. Unless the place is blocks from your house, or rather apartment, you're not getting there in 30 minutes. It's like LA. A ton of things are spread out. In NY, you can do stuff in Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, etc. In LA, I can do stuff in downtown LA, The Grove, Santa Monica, Hollywood/West Hollywood, Studio City, etc.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 07:33 PM)
Eh, that's not true. Unless the place is blocks from your house, or rather apartment, you're not getting there in 30 minutes. It's like LA. A ton of things are spread out. In NY, you can do stuff in Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, etc. In LA, I can do stuff in downtown LA, The Grove, Santa Monica, Hollywood/West Hollywood, Studio City, etc.

um... no. it takes an hour to drive from santa monica to hollywood last time i was there. traffic is so damn bad.

NYC i give myself an hour to get from my apartment to anywhere I want to be. That includes walking to the train, and from the train to where i'm going. But if I'm going to certain areas it only take 15-25 minutes. From 181st to 59th takes me literally 20 minutes. 22ish to 42nd. 25 to 34th. Way, way more convenient than sitting in bloody traffic.

EDIT: i don't remember so my santa monica to hollywood may be BS. but it was definitely an hour from Loyola Marymounts campus to one of those two. lol

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 08:06 PM)
Anything to SantaMonica on a weekday is like 1.5 hours. Although they're finally building a light rail line there.

Yeah, you have to drive everywhere in LA, its a nightmare. IN manhattan you just take the subway or the bus. Off the island they have fantastic rail systems going everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

ump again but does anyone have any suggestions for a bachelor party bar/lounge in Manhattan? We will be eating in Flatiron on 5th and 23rd at Eataly and anywhere in the neighboring neighborhoods will work. We are looking for a couple of things, a classic bar would be cool but it is difficult to find that would be good for groups with a solid cocktail list for 15 people with Manhattan’s and the like, a solid craft beer list, Rooftop would be a plus but not needed, I would be lying if I said selection of women weren’t important either!

There are just too many selections, was hoping somebody maybe had an experience with this! Thanks

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ May 8, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
ump again but does anyone have any suggestions for a bachelor party bar/lounge in Manhattan? We will be eating in Flatiron on 5th and 23rd at Eataly and anywhere in the neighboring neighborhoods will work. We are looking for a couple of things, a classic bar would be cool but it is difficult to find that would be good for groups with a solid cocktail list for 15 people with Manhattan’s and the like, a solid craft beer list, Rooftop would be a plus but not needed, I would be lying if I said selection of women weren’t important either!

There are just too many selections, was hoping somebody maybe had an experience with this! Thanks

That place is super nice

Gansevort Hotel has a really nice lounge/bar on the roof. Johnny Utah's across from Radio City is a lot of fun too with their mechanical bull.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 8, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
That place is super nice

Gansevort Hotel has a really nice lounge/bar on the roof. Johnny Utah's across from Radio City is a lot of fun too with their mechanical bull.

I was going to add that alot of the hotels you stay at have some of the better lounges like Gavensvort, SOHO grand etc.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 8, 2012 -> 05:55 PM)
I was going to add that alot of the hotels you stay at have some of the better lounges like Gavensvort, SOHO grand etc.

I was at Gansevort a couple summers ago and Cristiano Ronaldo and his posse were occupying some of the tables on the roof

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)
um... no. it takes an hour to drive from santa monica to hollywood last time i was there. traffic is so damn bad.

NYC i give myself an hour to get from my apartment to anywhere I want to be. That includes walking to the train, and from the train to where i'm going. But if I'm going to certain areas it only take 15-25 minutes. From 181st to 59th takes me literally 20 minutes. 22ish to 42nd. 25 to 34th. Way, way more convenient than sitting in bloody traffic.

EDIT: i don't remember so my santa monica to hollywood may be BS. but it was definitely an hour from Loyola Marymounts campus to one of those two. lol

You must only hang in one burrough then. For anywhere that's not by your apartment, it takes more than 20 minutes to get there unless you live right next to the train stop and the places you go are right off the train stop.

As far as Chicago, if you're talking about taking 57, that's true. But Chicago isn't setup like LA at all. Everything is central here. So if you're coming from 181st, you'll never see traffic until you get into the inner city. And once you do, traffic is bad. Worse than LA bad, and that's been proven in studies. And Santa Monica to Hollywood never takes an hour, even in rain, in which no one in LA doesn't know how to drive.

Sidenote, did I mention how I hate that no one in Chicago seems to use a signal light for anything, and when you beep at them for not turning it on, they don't understand why you're beeping? And it's not just once a day. I say, 80% of drivers(this is from driving from Naperville, Orland Park, Chicago, up to Roosevelt and everywhere in between) do not use their turn signals unless they are literally getting off the ramp.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 19, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
You must only hang in one burrough then. For anywhere that's not by your apartment, it takes more than 20 minutes to get there unless you live right next to the train stop and the places you go are right off the train stop.

As far as Chicago, if you're talking about taking 57, that's true. But Chicago isn't setup like LA at all. Everything is central here. So if you're coming from 181st, you'll never see traffic until you get into the inner city. And once you do, traffic is bad. Worse than LA bad, and that's been proven in studies. And Santa Monica to Hollywood never takes an hour, even in rain, in which no one in LA doesn't know how to drive.

Sidenote, did I mention how I hate that no one in Chicago seems to use a signal light for anything, and when you beep at them for not turning it on, they don't understand why you're beeping? And it's not just once a day. I say, 80% of drivers(this is from driving from Naperville, Orland Park, Chicago, up to Roosevelt and everywhere in between) do not use their turn signals unless they are literally getting off the ramp.

Manhattan is the only borough in which one SHOULD hang out. I hate hipsters so brooklyn's out, and the rest are terrible. :P

the bolded is just not true, and you shouldn't have a car in NYC anyway.