MLB officially announces 10-team expanded playoffs

SoxFan1

A sneak peak at my season predictions shows the races for the 2nd wildcard will be good:

AL East-

NY 97-65

TB 91-71

Bos 89-73

Tor 83-79

AL Central-

Det 93-69

Chi 86-76

AL West-

LAA 94-68

Tex 92-70

Texas wins the 1st wildcard by one game over TB.

2nd Wildcard-

TB 91-71 -

Bos 89-73 2

Chi 86-76 5

Tor 83-79 8

NL East-

Phi 94-68

Was 87-75

Atl 87-75

NL Central-

Stl 93-69

Cin 89-72

Mil 86-76

NL West-

Arz 92-70

SF 88-74

Col 86-76

Reds win the 1st wildcard 89-73

2nd Wildcard--

SF 88-74 -

Was 87-75 1

Atl 87-75 1

Col 86-76 2

Mil 86-76 2

That would be an exciting scenario for the NL. Pray there isn't a 5-way tie.

Edited by flavum

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So if you win the second wild card do you get the same Shirt/Hat/Champagne celebration? Even if you only play in one game and get eliminated? Or does the winner of that game get to call themselves "Wild Card Champions"?

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 3, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)
So if you win the second wild card do you get the same Shirt/Hat/Champagne celebration? Even if you only play in one game and get eliminated? Or does the winner of that game get to call themselves "Wild Card Champions"?

Maybe we should start flying "AL Central Runner Up" pennants too.

I hope both wildcard teams don't do anything celebratory until they actually win the wildcard game. It should be viewed as 8 teams making the playoffs still, but 4 teams that didn't win their division have a second chance opportunity of making it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 3, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
I hope both wildcard teams don't do anything celebratory until they actually win the wildcard game. It should be viewed as 8 teams making the playoffs still, but 4 teams that didn't win their division have a second chance opportunity of making it.

Exactly. I have no problem with a team celebrating winning the Wild Card. Even though it's not a division title, it's still an accomplishment. A lot of times the Wild Card winner has a better record than a division winner.

We came in third place last year. A third place team in 2012 can earn a wild card. I am "all in" on this idea now.

Maybe they should use a different name for the second wild card team. Like the "lucky SOBs" card winner.

If they had this last year then Boston and Atlanta would have made the playoffs. And maybe the Cardinals wouldn't have won the World Series.

Edited by sunofgold

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 3, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)

Teams have shirts and hats for the wild card?

You can celebrate, but I don't recall shirts and hats.

Apparently they didn't have the time to squeeze in a 2-2-1 series because the schedule wasn't planned with this extra team format in mind. It is only supposed to be for this season

There is time for a 2-2-1 series if you don't insist on having a day off for travel.

knowing mlb, you'll get hats and shirts for being wild cards 1 and 2

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 5, 2012 -> 08:30 AM)
There is time for a 2-2-1 series if you don't insist on having a day off for travel.

while the players can handle it, getting the mlb machine as well as the full sports media up and running in less than 24 hours is tough.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
What it really diminishes is the wild card.

Exactly. At first I thought this thing was crazy, but I really like it for the very reason you provided. Make winning the divison worth more home field advantage, plus it gets more teams involved at the end of the year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 05:23 PM)
Awful, awful, awful. This is a disgusting, despicable tragedy. First they f*** up the draft/international system, now this? Selig's motto: when it ain't broke; fix it. I always said I'd put a bullet in my brain before I became a hockey fan. But I think the time is now. Who are the top players today? Mario Lemuix? Mark Messiah? Who else?

You mean fix the draft/international system. The only thing left is to make the draft include international players and I fully expect that to happen in the next 5 years or so.

They should just go ahead and call this this "Boston Red Sox Statute"... Seriously WHY even do this? Just announce that every AL playoff...every year will have NY and Boston...the two other division winners and one wild card. Ridiculous...

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 08:55 PM)
What happens if teams 5-8 finish tied?

I would hope there's a tie-breaker system where they seed them 5 through 8.

Day after season ends--8 at 5; 7 at 6

Winners play the next day. Bring it on.

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
What it really diminishes is the wild card.

Can you diminish the wild card. It's not really an accomplishment. If you get in the playoffs as a non-division winner, it really doesn't matter.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 09:54 PM)

Can you diminish the wild card. It's not really an accomplishment. If you get in the playoffs as a non-division winner, it really doesn't matter.

But its a one game playoff to advance. That should put you at a huge disadvantage if you win the game, plus the one game is a gamble. If you're going to have a wildcard, having 2 with a one game play in, IMO is a better solution. Plus it will keep even more interested in September.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 09:54 PM)

But its a one game playoff to advance. That should put you at a huge disadvantage if you win the game, plus the one game is a gamble. All the WC ever gave up was homefield. Now if you're in but can still win the division, do you take your chances with the WC and set your rotation, which will be screwed up anyway due to the one game, or do you try to win the division? If you're going to have a wildcard, having 2 with a one game play in, IMO is a better solution. Plus it will keep even more interested in September.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 10:54 PM)

It certainly has seemed to matter for the number of teams that won the WS as wild card teams.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 07:53 AM)
It certainly has seemed to matter for the number of teams that won the WS as wild card teams.

But will this change it? It creates a system where another team has a shot at the WS. It will keep more fans interested. It's more money for the networks and teams. So it's a good thing for revenue but I'm not sure if it changes anything else.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 09:54 AM)
But will this change it? It creates a system where another team has a shot at the WS. It will keep more fans interested. It's more money for the networks and teams. So it's a good thing for revenue but I'm not sure if it changes anything else.

This will absolutely change it. Teams will fight tooth and mail now to win the division if they're remotely close, and wild card teams will burn their rotation even more trying to get to the lds. Wild card teams can still win the series but now they have a very rough extra step in there to make them earn it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 06:16 AM)
But its a one game playoff to advance. That should put you at a huge disadvantage if you win the game, plus the one game is a gamble. If you're going to have a wildcard, having 2 with a one game play in, IMO is a better solution. Plus it will keep even more interested in September.

This is only the first step towards continued expansion of the playoffs. We'll see more teams and more rounds, I am sure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
This is only the first step towards continued expansion of the playoffs. We'll see more teams and more rounds, I am sure.

Which just sounds awful, considering the randomness of baseball in small sample sizes.