MLB officially announces 10-team expanded playoffs

SoxFan1

I still preferred going back to a 2 divisional format with 2 wild card winners and the old playoff setting. At the very least, I think it should be the 2 worse teams that make the playoffs have the 1 game playoff. Bottom line the best teams should get a shot at duking it out and I think adding a one game playoff, while interesting, is pretty crappy on those teams that get there.

If I was a 92 win wild card team and there was an 88 win division winner) and the other wild card winner had 86 wins, I'd think it would be pretty crappy if I got knocked out because they fluked into 1 win (which is very easy in a sport like baseball).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
Which just sounds awful, considering the randomness of baseball in small sample sizes.

I'm not a fan, but you know MLB is looking at all of the teams that get into the playoffs in the other sports and thinking that it could revive some franchises if they even had a shot at the playoffs every once in a while.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
This is only the first step towards continued expansion of the playoffs. We'll see more teams and more rounds, I am sure.

I'm going to say this new format will stick for decades, not just years. I think players and teams both recognize that you can't just let every over-.500 team in the playoffs. What's great about the new format is that it gives hope to the teams straddling the .500 mark at the break that they can make a run at the final spot at the very least. Once they get the fans in the door for that chase, their work is done whether they win it or not.

The one thing they could do is go to four divisions and 8 wild cards, and give the division winners a bye, but since the players are against sitting for 4-6 days, I just don't see it happening any time soon.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
Then win your division.

OK, I will win 100 games and win my division. Then my ace has a bad start, and an opposing hitter gets hot and a 82-win wild card team knocks me out of the playoffs. That sucks IMO. (If the playoffs are expanded further than they are now as ss2k5 said.)

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 09:58 AM)
I'm going to say this new format will stick for decades, not just years. I think players and teams both recognize that you can't just let every over-.500 team in the playoffs. What's great about the new format is that it gives hope to the teams straddling the .500 mark at the break that they can make a run at the final spot at the very least. Once they get the fans in the door for that chase, their work is done whether they win it or not.

The one thing they could do is go to four divisions and 8 wild cards, and give the division winners a bye, but since the players are against sitting for 4-6 days, I just don't see it happening any time soon.

Too much money to be made here. I would bet on a 16 team playoff with in a decade.