Big Ten Tourney

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 05:21 PM)
False and false.

The west loop goes all the way to Ashland which is 3 blocks from the UC. The West loop is one of the more affluent and family friendly areas in the city at this point.

Randolph street was just named one of the best restaurant areas in America, there are more James Beard award winners in a few blocks than there are in all of Indy.

Good post. 2 miles east of the UC would be Wells or Franklin.

Good that we have Chicago area geography settled in a thread about a tournament that's not even in Chicago!

Since we're technically off topic, I'll continue. IU's best chances of getting a 3 seed in the big dance (other than beating Penn St today and Wisky tomorrow) are for Baylor and/or Georgetown to lose. I believe a trip to the semis with one of those happening today would likely bump them up. Otherwise it would probably take a trip to the finals and a loss in the semi's for G'town or Baylor. Personally, I think Baylor should to lose just because of their uniforms!

Yeah, everything Ive heard is Indy is a great event site. The problem is that its considerably farther for a Wisconsin fan to drive to Indiana, than say Chicago or Milwaukee, etc. I personally would like a rotation where the major Big 10 cities get the tournament (Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, etc) that way most teams will have a year where their crowd is close (Nebraska and Iowa probably lose out, but they dont have a big city.)

Balta,

I think the Big10 should do more to take advantage of all cities it has.

When you look at the fanbases that will actually travel for the B10 tournament, Indy and Chicago are the most centrally located and provide the lowest net driving time.

Driving times to Indy from:

Bloomington - 1 hour

West Lafayette - 1 hour

Champaign - 2 hours

Columbus - 3 hours

Chicago - 3 hours

East Lansing - 4.5 hours

Ann Arbor - 4.5 hours

Madison - 6 hours

You start really adding to the cumulative travel when you go to Milwaukee or Detroit. Minneapolis and Cleveland really shoot that figure up.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
When you look at the fanbases that will actually travel for the B10 tournament, Indy and Chicago are the most centrally located and provide the lowest net driving time.

Driving times to Indy from:

Bloomington - 1 hour

West Lafayette - 1 hour

Champaign - 2 hours

Columbus - 3 hours

Chicago - 3 hours

East Lansing - 4.5 hours

Ann Arbor - 4.5 hours

Madison - 6 hours

You start really adding to the cumulative travel when you go to Milwaukee or Detroit. Minneapolis and Cleveland really shoot that figure up.

Cleveland doesn't really have a big 10 team do they? I could still though see doing Detroit and Minneapolis once a decade just to forcibly get the word out to those areas about the B10 and to build the fanbase.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 10:55 AM)
I don't understand how its such a struggle for the Illini to pass to Leonard.

He is so open on pick n rolls going to bucket but the guards never pass unless it's a straight post up.

Columbus would be a no go, just like Madison (Minneapolis would be the only likely exception to having it on campus.) Id say Cinci and Cleveland, the point is to get the Big 10 into as many areas as possible. Id even be fine with Philly (farthest trip for all fans), just because of the exposure.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 11:17 AM)
Columbus would be a no go, just like Madison (Minneapolis would be the only likely exception to having it on campus.) Id say Cinci and Cleveland, the point is to get the Big 10 into as many areas as possible. Id even be fine with Philly (farthest trip for all fans), just because of the exposure.

Not sure how Columbus is set up, but you're correct about Minneapolis. The Target Center (where the Twolves play) is downtown, about 10 minutes from Minnesota's campus. Despite its relative closeness, it's completely separate from the campus (there's even the obvious physical barrier of the river, as the two are on opposite sides); it'd be the equivalent of DePaul playing in a Big East Tournament hosted at the United Center. I admit there's a bit of a difference because it's not like Chicago is wholly behind DePaul, whereas Minneapolis is clearly (and for obvious reasons) all about the U (as Minnesota is called here), but in terms of geography and whatnot, it's pretty similar.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)
Don't think they get an invite to the NIT, but yeah Weber might as well as packed his things before this trip.

Illini do not deserve NIT bid, I am so glad Weber is getting fired. He has made Illini basketball unwatchable.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
LoL at Indiana assistant yelling at camera man to get out of the huddle. As if Iowa has a monitor on the sideline.

It was probably Je'Ney Jackson, the strength coach. Not a fan of him.

I'm pissed I can't watch; hopefully I can get out class and run home fast enough to see the last 5 minutes or so.