Speculation: Thornton a Trade Fit with Angels

joeynach

According to MLBTradeRumors.com, the Angels are looking for a quality left handed reliever. Im wondering if the Sox could be a potential fit for the Angels here. I know KW was involved in trade talks this past offseason for Matt Thornton and I think most would agree there is really very little point to have a $6M left handed maybe closer maybe not on a team that is destined for about 76 wins. If you could move the two years and $12M hes owed now and get a prospect or two in return I would assume the Sox would want to do it. As of right now, Thornton is more valuable off the books and as a trade piece to bring in more young talent to our dead farm system then he is actually pitching for us, though he is still a quality player. Who could we posibly get back from the Angels for Thornton, obviously not Mike Trout, any other prospects that could be had?

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 07:27 PM)
As much as I'd like Kenny to keep selling, it seems he's crossing his fingers that this team isn't awful. If things go south he can trade Thornton/Gavin down the line.

Good way to put it.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
Sox pay 3 million of his salary for those two years then it might be close in return sox get in return some AA ball player with an upside kind like when we got Bobby jenks from them.

The Sox rarely if ever pick up salary if they're sending off a guy that other teams would want.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 05:20 PM)
They don't often sell off either, but they have picked up salary in deals when they dumped players.

They did so most recently with guys they effectively "Dumped" for nothing though...Thome and Iguchi...and those were 2 cases where they were just getting them out of the way or doing guys a favor. They didn't pick up salary with Jackson, IIRC.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 04:24 PM)
They did so most recently with guys they effectively "Dumped" for nothing though...Thome and Iguchi...and those were 2 cases where they were just getting them out of the way or doing guys a favor. They didn't pick up salary with Jackson, IIRC.

They did pick up money with Ray Durham. They also did in the Koch/Foulke trade.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 06:27 PM)
As much as I'd like Kenny to keep selling, it seems he's crossing his fingers that this team isn't awful. If things go south he can trade Thornton/Gavin down the line.

The only thing left to do is send Kenny packing

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 04:40 PM)
The only thing left to do is send Kenny packing

I'm waiting for the first person to go off on why we're so terrible in the spring no matter who the manager is and who leads the preparation...and predictions for less than 70 wins and 1.5 million or under in attendance.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)

Yep. Now that there are 2 wildcard teams, perhaps he's thinking 84 wins earns a wildcard berth. I honestly don't think this team is as bad as experts say they will be. However, that doesn't mean they will make the playoffs. If Detroit does not win the central, i'll be shocked!

86-88 wins is more likely for WC.

You know the AL East will beat each other up with those four teams now (including Blue Jays), perhaps suppressing the victory totals, but then you have to add the Angels into the mix with Pujols and CJ Wilson.

If you believe the experts the Angels/Red Sox/Rays and maybe the Blue Jays will be fighting for that extra spot in the playoffs.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 05:09 PM)
Yep. Now that there are 2 wildcard teams, perhaps he's thinking 84 wins earns a wildcard berth. I honestly don't think this team is as bad as experts say they will be. However, that doesn't mean they will make the playoffs. If Detroit does not win the central, i'll be shocked!

The last time that an 84 win team would have made the playoffs in the AL under the current format was 1997, and I would argue that there is virtually no chance that it will happen this year. In fact, most years, 84 wins wouldn't even finish 6th.

Personally, I would say that the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, Blue Jays, Tigers, Rangers, and Angels all have good to great chances of winning atleast 86 games, which, if that were to happen, would leave the Sox as the 8th best team at the very most with an 84 win season.

If this team is going to win, it's because they'll catch lightning in a bottle and win about 95 games. To use the old cliche, crazier things have happened. It's not as if this team is devoid of talent. It's just all been undeveloped/injured/underachieved in the past couple of years.

Please, not another 78-84 win team.

Hopefully they come out and surprise everyone, or just suck from the get-go and it's obvious to everyone in Chicago they're rebuilding and playing youngsters and dealing veterans for the highest possible return is the only possible course.

A 78 win Sox team and a 68 win team won't make more than a negligible difference at the turnstiles anyway. And maybe if they completely tank again this year and Molina's a bust, then KW will have no choice but to resign.

But that's the doomsday scenario.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 10:44 PM)
I'm waiting for the first person to go off on why we're so terrible in the spring no matter who the manager is and who leads the preparation...and predictions for less than 70 wins and 1.5 million or under in attendance.

I don't care how good or bad we are in spring training. I know folks like to win and I do too but it means nothing much as far as the season is concerned. I see ST mostly as achance to see young players and what they can do and get the vets get ready for opening day. I think KW has some answering to do about his GM decisions and I am think Phil Rogers has it right in his analysis of KW's GM job.

Edited by elrockinMT