Stupid SABR question

Cali

I know this doesn't really have an answer, SABR stats being born of the internet where everyone is wrong except you, but is there one defining SABR stat for Pitchers and Hitters that should tell you how good a player is? Like is there a consensus for both?

I'm trying to get more into them, but at the same time it gives me a headache and I have nightmares of Math class...

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
I know this doesn't really have an answer, SABR stats being born of the internet where everyone is wrong except you, but is there one defining SABR stat for Pitchers and Hitters that should tell you how good a player is? Like is there a consensus for both?

I'm trying to get more into them, but at the same time it gives me a headache and I have nightmares of Math class...

WAR? Wins above replacement. Wikipedia definition:

Wins Above Replacement, commonly known as WAR, is a non-standardized sabermetric baseball statistic that is used to show how many more wins a player would give a team as opposed to a "replacement level", or minor league/bench player at that position. While WAR values are scaled equally for pitchers and hitters, the result is calculated differently for pitchers versus position players: position players are evaluated using statistics for fielding and hitting, while pitchers are evaluated using statistics related to the opposing batters' hits, walks and strikeouts.

There is no clearly established formula for WAR. Sites that provide the statistic, such as Baseball Prospectus, Fangraphs, and Baseball Reference, all calculate it differently; however, all of these sites calculate the value of WAR using these principles, and each site publicly acknowledges their methods for calculating their individual WAR values

ERA+ maybe?

Adjusted ERA+, often simply abbreviated to ERA+ or ERA plus, is a pitching statistic in baseball. It adjusts a pitcher's earned run average (ERA) according to the pitcher's ballpark (in case the ballpark favors batters or pitchers) and the ERA of the pitcher's league. Average ERA+ is set to be 100; a score above 100 indicates that the pitcher performed better than average, below 100 indicates worse than average.

Wiki page